sugar sugar, ohhh honey honey... counting sugars??

Options
I posted this under nutrition but I felt like it was fitting in this catagory too.. hope that isn't against the rules.

Anyone out there watching their sugars closely? My sis lost a ton of weight by cutting sugar alone. She doesn't even count calories! I've noticed that I am consistently over on sugar but I'm thinking I should try hard to stay within my range. This is poor timing because I just bought a bunch of low calorie icecream treats...darnit.

MFP gives me 191 carbs and 28 sugars. I am always under on carbs and over on sugar. I get so confused because I thought carbs were digested like sugar. Anyway, when I count my sugars, should I subtract the natural sugars like fruit, greek yogurt, etc or will they turn to fat too? Here's an example. Today, I've had plain greek yogurt, blueberries and almonds only and I am already up to 16 sugars. I'd assume I can subtract my naturally occuring sugars in greek yogurt and hopefully the blueberries... right?

Is a low sugar diet basically a low carb diet?

** I've read a lot about people who are insulin resistant or who can not process sugars like other people. I have also heard that sugar is what is going to turn to fat if its not burned off. I agree that you could lose weight by counting calories alone, but I just wonder if you would lose it a little faster and control cravings more easily by laying off the sugar...

What do you guys think?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I don't count sugars based on MFP.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't distinguish between real sugar and added sugar. Added sugar is what should be limited (I've heard to 32g a day) but real sugar from fruits and stuff is okay. My sugars are always around 150 on here and it freaks me out but oh well. There seems to be sugar in everything!
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My breakfast alone brings me over the MFP daily allowable sugars so no, I don't track sugar intake. Fruit has sugar, but it good for you. For me it's more about getting as little processed sugars as possible and not just cutting all sugar.
  • sevin2
    sevin2 Posts: 19
    Options
    I just had this same discuss with some co-workers, because MFP gave me 20 sugars a day, and I hadn't been watching that. I added it to my journal yesterday and was amazed at how often I am double in my sugars - mostly from things like my greek yogurt, or (a bad choice) of white bread. It interested me how much sugar is in things you don't expect it to be! So I don't know the answer to your questions, but I'm know I'm going to try to pay more attention the sugar content in my food and see if it makes a difference!
  • brenda4life
    brenda4life Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ditto what was said. I am trying to limit my sugar intake, so I avoid any processed sugar and I limit my fruit to 1-2 a day.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    MFP doesn't distinguish between real sugar and added sugar. Added sugar is what should be limited (I've heard to 32g a day) but real sugar from fruits and stuff is okay. My sugars are always around 150 on here and it freaks me out but oh well. There seems to be sugar in everything!

There is no difference between 'real sugar' and 'added sugar', they are treated by your body in the exact same way.

Unless you got problems with insulin, sugar should be of no concern. You wont lose weight faster by eating less or more sugar.
    All sugars will be converted into fat if you eat too much calories during the day, it doesn't matter what the source.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    So I don't know the answer to your questions, but I'm know I'm going to try to pay more attention the sugar content in my food and see if it makes a difference!

after my loss, I haven't noticed a change in sugar making a difference... ever. Then again, I'm not everyone, but it hasn't made a difference for me. After 150 lbs, calorie deficit has been the difference-maker.
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

^^ This.... I think fruit sugars are Ok! Soda and Twinkies sugars are BAD. Tracking Sugars on here will have you in the neg in a hurry if you eat a lot of fruit.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

^^ This.... I think fruit sugars are Ok! Soda and Twinkies sugars are BAD. Tracking Sugars on here will have you in the neg in a hurry if you eat a lot of fruit.

Sugar is sugar. There are not bad sugars and good sugars and your body does not know the source. It is pretty useless to track sugar. It is a carbohydrate. Hit your carb macro for the day and you'll be fine.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I count them, but don't restrict them.

I just watch the numbers go up and say, "cool story bro."
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I count all sugars, BUT the only reason I track sugar in the first place is because if I eat more than like 40g a day or so I start craving more sugar. I usually stay under 20-25g a day, but always under 30g.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I make sure I get my daily sugar dose. :bigsmile:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I count them, but don't restrict them.

I just watch the numbers go up and say, "cool story bro."

HA. Same.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I changed my sugar to 50g I did not like seeing red and it made me feel like fruit was bad.
    With reducing sugar she was reducing calories.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I could give a crap less about my sugar intake, I don't even track it.