Replies

• CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Maybe scout out some other gyms that have the correct equipment? I wouldn't do squats on the smith machine, common way to get injured and doesn't translate very well to real squats anyway.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    Maybe start with goblet squats (dumbell or kettlebell), between that and leg pressing you should be alright for your first few months. Should give you plenty of exercise and strength gains and therefore time to find a better equipped gym if you want to push it and go heavier.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Does your planet fitness still let you deadlift as well?

Agreed with above the smith just changes the whole movement up and I for one don't like it and think it translates well. It takes a lot of the negative on the downward movement out as well as most stabilization.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    No to cutting out squats
    No to squatting on a smith machine
    If you refuse to join a gym with proper equipment, look up Bulgarian split squats
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    well i had to google what it was.

http://www.livestrong.com/video/4055-do-squats-with-free-weights/

squat with free weights?
  • iommi4
    iommi4 Posts: 20
    Options
    oof, i hate smith machines. i say why not though. if that's your option your only option for doing it then do it. you should always do squats. the best workouts to do, especially front squats. i don't think i remember when is the last time i did back squats. i never tried deadlifting on a smith machine. that one would seem awkward. are you just going to start out doing 5x5 right off the bat?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You're not going to be able to learn proper form on the Smith Machine, deadlifts will be even worse.

I would find a new gym.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Maybe just buy a barbell and some weights and use some saw-horses for your squat rack and the ground/barbell for deadlifts.

Easy money son!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'm a PF member and I do squats on the Smith Machine. Used to be a Bally's member and did squats on the rack. Honestly, I've not found that either one is a problem. Obviously, as someone mentioned, with the Smith Machine it does eliminate the stabilizer work and you do have to be more conscious of your form. You can also do squats with dumbbells, however with those only going up to 75 lbs at PF, you may outgrow them pretty fast.

As far as deadlifts (which I believe are a part of the strong lifts routine)there is no good way to do that on a Smith Machine.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'd try Bulgarian squats or barbell hack squats.

Actually, don't. Yesterday, I did Bulgarian squats. Today I walk like a 110 year old man. Squats: just say no. :sad:
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I would start by using dumbells as a replacement...Until you find a gym with equipment that will allow you to grow. The smith machine, I have found, not take a lot of the work out of it. Seems kind of pointless.
  • louisvillejg
    louisvillejg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree with about all the posts. Smith machines are so targeted that they do not translate into real world activities. If you really want to stick with PF, I guess your best bet is dumbbells. But I would say save the time and look for a place that embraces the weight room.

What is craziest to me is that all those machines costs the gym so much more money that if they just got good quality racks, bars, weights, and accessory equipment.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    If I was paying for a gym membership, I'd go somewhere that had better equipment. That said, I DO NOT pay for the gym I go to and they have no rack, just a smith. I do squats on it when I'm there and have had no form or injury issues. However, I've been lifting free weights off and on for years and seriously over the last year. I already knew how to do a squat before I got stuck with a Smith. As previously stated, it does take away some of the core/stabilization work that a regular squat gives you.

If you are unable or unwilling to move to a different gym, I say practice squat form with weight low enough that you can get on your own back. When you're comfortable and doing it right, try it on the smith. Also a possibility are hack squats. I find them uncomfortable and think the form is more difficult to master than a regular squat. But it's an option.

Or the dumbbells.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT forgo squats. That's blasphemy.
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!

I signed up for a one year contract like an idiot so
    for right now I'm going to try to stick it out and use
    dumbbells.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Actually, don't. Yesterday, I did Bulgarian squats. Today I walk like a 110 year old man. Squats: just say no. :sad:

Don't blame squats for your shortcomings
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!

dumbbells.

For the record (and I know this is heresy to some) it is completely possible to put together a comprehensive strength training routine that does not include squats and dead lifts. I've been a member at different gyms over the past 15 years and currently am a PF member myself. I have no problems getting solid work done on my hammies, quads, calves, glutes and so on without needing to do squats and deads.

Then again, I like to change things up all the time anyway so I'm always looking for new things. So even if I was at a gym that had a squat rack I probably wouldn't be doing them all that often anyway.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    When did you sign up? Most gyms have a 7 day cancellation policy. I think I would try to go somewhere else as well. My gym has a squat rack, power rack and smith machine and all 3 are in use constantly for different things.

It's worth looking into.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!

dumbbells.

For the record (and I know this is heresy to some) it is completely possible to put together a comprehensive strength training routine that does not include squats and dead lifts. I've been a member at different gyms over the past 15 years and currently am a PF member myself. I have no problems getting solid work done on my hammies, quads, calves, glutes and so on without needing to do squats and deads.

Then again, I like to change things up all the time anyway so I'm always looking for new things. So even if I was at a gym that had a squat rack I probably wouldn't be doing them all that often anyway.

Blasphemy!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Don't blame squats for your shortcomings

What shortcomings? I lifted heavy so today I walk like an old man.