workouts

Options
I'm not new to dieting and working out but I've never had anyone elses input...how long, how many and how intense should my workouts be if it's been a whiiiile (ie 6 months: guilt faaace)?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It depends what kind of shape you were in then. I just learned today that I can do 43 consecutive squats even though I have only been back at for about ten days.

Give yourself a fitness test. How fast can you walk a mile? How many squats? Push-ups? Sit-ups or crunches?
  • amili045
    Options
    It depends what kind of shape you were in then. I just learned today that I can do 43 consecutive squats even though I have only been back at for about ten days.

Give yourself a fitness test. How fast can you walk a mile? How many squats? Push-ups? Sit-ups or crunches?

good idea!!!! I will commence tomorroW!
  • Prindale
    Prindale Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well i used to workout alot 2 years ago. I walked daily for an hour around the block. Then i went to the gym atleast 3 times a week. and sometimes i did certain activites in my yard such as jumping rope or playing with the dog. i managed to loose my tummy and all hanging flabs(lols). i feel you should start with walking, running or skipping. daily and add the little weights 5 lbs sbould be good. i never went over 5 lbs
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If it's been a while I would say start out with 30 mins Cardio three days a week. Try to put 20 minutes of strength training in twice a week. Don't work same muscle groups back to back. Days should go: Cardio/strength/Cardio/strengh, etc. Of course slowly work up from this. It's been a while for me as well but, I always feel starting slowly helps so you don't burn out. You can probably judge what's good for you after getting started. I used to go to gym all the time. I am now just going totake what I did learn there and do my own thing at home. They say you should also switch your routine up every six weeks or so to trick your body. Many things you can do for Cardio (elliptical/bike/treadmill/dance/tennis/walk/run/row, kickboxing). Strength (hand weights, kettlebells, body weight,yoga, pullups, pushups, weighted jump rope, weighted vest (walk). Many of these thugs can be done as both. Good luck to the both of us. Cheers!
  • april_mesk
    Options
    Crossfit and interval reps are extremely popular these days as well. This will get yor heart rate pumping with both strength and Cardio at same time. There is a whole world of crossfit out there at different levels and it's awesome. The workouts tendyo be very short also.
  • amili045
    Options
    Well i used to workout alot 2 years ago. I walked daily for an hour around the block. Then i went to the gym atleast 3 times a week. and sometimes i did certain activites in my yard such as jumping rope or playing with the dog. i managed to loose my tummy and all hanging flabs(lols). i feel you should start with walking, running or skipping. daily and add the little weights 5 lbs sbould be good. i never went over 5 lbs

ya 5 lbs sounds good I want to get smaller not bulk up :) thanks so I guess what you mean is just be active and keep moving...I cant do that
  • april_mesk
    Options
    Fitness test, yeah. I failed miserably at this when I attempted to do p90x. Haha. Yes great to do the test -see where you are at. I should try this again.
  • amili045
    Options
    If it's been a while I would say start out with 30 mins Cardio three days a week. Try to put 20 minutes of strength training in twice a week. Don't work same muscle groups back to back. Days should go: Cardio/strength/Cardio/strengh, etc. Of course slowly work up from this. It's been a while for me as well but, I always feel starting slowly helps so you don't burn out. You can probably judge what's good for you after getting started. I used to go to gym all the time. I am now just going totake what I did learn there and do my own thing at home. They say you should also switch your routine up every six weeks or so to trick your body. Many things you can do for Cardio (elliptical/bike/treadmill/dance/tennis/walk/run/row, kickboxing). Strength (hand weights, kettlebells, body weight,yoga, pullups, pushups, weighted jump rope, weighted vest (walk). Many of these thugs can be done as both. Good luck to the both of us. Cheers!

tricking your body!! thats a good one!! i never thought of that. Plateaus suck. thanks!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

That tricking your body stuff is a myth. A well designed workout routine will offer both progression and periodization that will keep you moving forward for a long time.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree about 5 lb weights. The goal of strength training is progressive overload, which means continually pushing yourself to do more. 5 lb weights *might* be ok to use at the *very* beginning while you're learning form, but if you can unload your own groceries, 5 lb weights are never, ever going to get you results at the gym. You should be using heavy enough weights that your system is taxed, and it's HARD- otherwise it's a waste of time.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are healthy: as intense as you can handle but intervals with active recovery, possibly shorter and less frequently than you intend to get into. Ten minute low impact warm up, protect yourself with shoes fitted to you after a gait analysis, plenty of rest days especially if you are sore or tired. If you only do one or two half hour sessions each of the first couple of weeks that is fine.

Five pound weights are pointless except for the small muscles such as the arm and shoulder cap. You won't bulk up unless you are a freak of nature in terms of testosterone levels (yes the male hormone) and eat more calories than you burn. Bodybuilders work VERY VERY hard at their sport, regiment their eating and many take steroids.
  • april_mesk
    Options
    I No expert but, I did lose 75 lbs doing what I did. I have no problems working out but, the eating has to with it for me. I am not one of those people who can lose just by dieting or just by working out. Plain and simple as long as you are doing something you will know what works for you and you can build on that. I do believe in switching things up every six weeks or so also helps your mind not become so "bored". It's not just tricking the body but, you have to be mentally stimulated or you won't do it at all. Just my thoughts-
  • amili045
    Options
    I strongly disagree about 5 lb weights. The goal of strength training is progressive overload, which means continually pushing yourself to do more. 5 lb weights *might* be ok to use at the *very* beginning while you're learning form, but if you can unload your own groceries, 5 lb weights are never, ever going to get you results at the gym. You should be using heavy enough weights that your system is taxed, and it's HARD- otherwise it's a waste of time.

ok good to know. so when is it appropriate to up the weight?
  • amili045
    Options
    I No expert but, I did lose 75 lbs doing what I did. I have no problems working out but, the eating has to with it for me. I am not one of those people who can lose just by dieting or just by working out. Plain and simple as long as you are doing something you will know what works for you and you can build on that. I do believe in switching things up every six weeks or so also helps your mind not become so "bored". It's not just tricking the body but, you have to be mentally stimulated or you won't do it at all. Just my thoughts-

I think its a good idea for me anyway because its easy to become bored and although I will be keeping a regular workout. I think its fun to change things up :)
  • amili045
    Options
    Assuming you are healthy: as intense as you can handle but intervals with active recovery, possibly shorter and less frequently than you intend to get into. Ten minute low impact warm up, protect yourself with shoes fitted to you after a gait analysis, plenty of rest days especially if you are sore or tired. If you only do one or two half hour sessions each of the first couple of weeks that is fine.

Five pound weights are pointless except for the small muscles such as the arm and shoulder cap. You won't bulk up unless you are a freak of nature in terms of testosterone levels (yes the male hormone) and eat more calories than you burn. Bodybuilders work VERY VERY hard at their sport, regiment their eating and many take steroids.

yes I have orthotic shoes! perfect. lol my arms and shoulders need haaard work lol so for now 5lbs is ok but my legs are pretty strong and I find I have to go up pretty high to feel like its any effort at all. haha I hope I'm not a freak of nature :P

I don't know if this is a myth, but when people say that weightloss is 80-90% diet, some have also said that if you don't change your eating habits accordingly then the muscle will just sit under the fat...is that true. I have been watching pretty carefully but I had always wondered about that.