Any Alpine Skiers?

Options
For those who downhill ski...how many calories do you think you burn during a day of skiing? There is a lot of idle time while waiting for the chair, sitting on the chair, etc. So how do you calculate how long you skied in a day? For instance if you are skiing from 10-3 you are not skiing that entire time....do you just say that you were actively skiing for a portion of that time? Just curious.

Replies

• madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    All depends on how good a skier you are. I am reasonably good on piste and can ski all day with minimal effort and would say I use less calories than walking. When i was learning though it took a lot more out of me. Likewise when skiing off-piste I would be working much harder - probably equivalent to a good jog.

As for the time actually skiing - depends how fast you ski and how often you stop - best maybe if you work it out on the distance covered.
  • solbchgal
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! Regardless of how many calories I burn...it is a heck of a lot of fun!
  • hockeydad725
    hockeydad725 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you are a smartphone user, there is an app called AlpineReplay. I haven't been out this year, but plan to use it when I do go. Apparently it uses GPS and Speed to determine your chairtime so you don't have to start and stop it at the beginning and end of each run.
  • solbchgal
    Options
    Thanks Hockeydad! I just got back from my ski trip and saw your post. I will check out that APP next time for sure. In the meantime if you use it, let me know what you think! =)