Anytime Fitness

Does anyone have any feedback about the franchise gym Anytime Fitness? I know it's awful timing, what with the New Years resolution crowds, but I've been thinking about joining a gym and that's one of the options that is closest to home for me. Any info you can offer is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Where are you from?

I'm in Aus and am a member. Love them. Of all the 24 hour gyms we have here they'd be the best. Their equipment is good quality and they always have a big free weights section. (And all but one of the gyms I've been to had two squat racks)

Like any chain I would trial it first. The ones in Aus all do a seven day trial period. I've had three amazing ones and one I hated with a burning passion.
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    I was a member a couple of years ago at the one in my area. It changed owners within a couple of months of opening and was very hot in the summer. The equipment was very limited (4 ellipticals and 5 treads). That being said I did enjoy my time there. The main reason I quit is because all the other gyms in my area offer no contract memberships. And the heat in the summer ran me away. Just my 2 cents :)
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    I'm in Rhode Island (US) and they supposedly have quite a few locations around here but I really haven't heard anything about them. Maybe that's a good thing! :laugh:
  • melsmith612
    I was a member a couple of years ago at the one in my area. It changed owners within a couple of months of opening and was very hot in the summer. The equipment was very limited (4 ellipticals and 5 treads). That being said I did enjoy my time there. The main reason I quit is because all the other gyms in my area offer no contract memberships. And the heat in the summer ran me away. Just my 2 cents :)

No A/C in Georgia?! :noway:
  • I have been a member of Anytime Fitness for about 5 years now and I LOVE it. Just the fact that it's so conveniently located is great for me. I have one near work and one near my house, so whatever my schedule I can always go there. Price wise I've gotten them down to $33/month with free unlimited tanning which is very reasonable. A lot of the newer Anytime Fitness gyms I am finding have classes as well which is great! The new one near my work has a separate room for anyone to use for ball, kettlebell, abs, etc. when classes aren't going on in there. You really have to scope out the Anytime Fitness in your area and see if it suits you or not. There was one I used to go to that was older and the machines weren't really getting updated like they should, etc.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Does anyone have any feedback about the franchise gym Anytime Fitness? I know it's awful timing, what with the New Years resolution crowds, but I've been thinking about joining a gym and that's one of the options that is closest to home for me. Any info you can offer is greatly appreciated, thanks!

The biggest thing I can suggest to you is get the two week trial membership first and see how that goes. Anytime's vary from location to location. I went to one that was pretty nice. It was bigger, had a fair amount of weight equipment and while it didn't have full locker rooms, the changing rooms at least had showers and all that. I did a trial at another location that was the opposite. It was tiny, had very little equipment (especially on the weight side, I found myself waiting for equipment constantly) and the changing room was just that, a room to change in (no shower or anything).

For me personally, I didn't end up liking it. I like to workout during odd hours and it was very strange and almost eerie to be there by myself at night. They had the little panic buttons but I still found myself pondering all the bad things to could occur while I'm there by myself.

Try it out, go at different times of the day, see if you're comfortable with it and decide from there. Don't let them push you into signing a contract until you're sure it's what you want to do for the next 12 months.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    What state are in?
  • melsmith612
    Good advice everyone, thanks!

I'm in Rhode Island.
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member

No A/C in Georgia?! :noway:

haha...they had ac they were trying to be conservative on the usage. So when you walked in it was stuffy. I am all for sweating but I want to have worked for the sweat!
  • melsmith612
    I'm going to take a tour tonight after work to check them out. They did tell me though that they offer 40+ group classes and all of the equipment is less than 6 months old because they just opened there in August so I have high hopes. :smile: