Have you thrown out your teflon pans?

Options

Replies

• Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    No, I have to keep my Teflon pans. Babies stick to anything else.
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108
    Options
    Teflon fumes have been known to kill birds.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=2874

I do like cast iron but find that its so hard to regulate temps. I often end up burning my food. Any advice?

This happens the longer you cook in cast iron. I experience it when I make crepes. The last ones are harder to make without burning. Consequently, I keep turning the heat down as I cook, and may take a break from cooking to let the pan cool a bit.

I agree this is a down side to cast iron. But, an upside is that cooking, particularly acidic foods, in cast iron gives you some additional dietary iron.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I read this as Teflon pants. Wondered where to buy.

at the hardwear store.
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108
    Options
    I have 1 non-stick pan and a whole set of Caphalon stainless pans. I love my stainless, but it's hard to keep them clean. Eventually, I'll be moving to a full cast iron set, but not for a while.

When the pan cools, soak it for a while, and then use a stainless steel scrub like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Large-Scrubbing-Scrubbers/dp/B000BAV904
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I have 1 non-stick pan and a whole set of Caphalon stainless pans. I love my stainless, but it's hard to keep them clean. Eventually, I'll be moving to a full cast iron set, but not for a while.

When the pan cools, soak it for a while, and then use a stainless steel scrub like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Large-Scrubbing-Scrubbers/dp/B000BAV904

Good idea. I'll try those. Thanks!
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    if your binning new teflon pans send them my way please lol :D
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I wish everything were non-stick. Even my cats. It would make vacuuming so much easier.
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I bought my mother some really good German cookware called Berndes. I'm not 100% if its teflon or not, but you need NO butter or oil at all. I still use butter and oil, depending on what I'm cooking. But seriously... they are amazing!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Teflon kills birds when it burns. It literally destroys the surface of their lungs and they drown in the liquid that fills their lungs. This happened to me and killed my parrot and my cockateil when I dozed off one night while waiting for water to boil in a teflon pan. I woke up to my small bird already dead and my parrot falling off his perch, then dead. I will NEVER forgive the industry for not having warning labels on that crap!
  • SmexAppeal
    Options
    how does teflon stick to a pan, when nothing sticks to teflon?

She raises a VERY good point.
  • SmexAppeal
    Options
    Teflon kills birds when it burns. It literally destroys the surface of their lungs and they drown in the liquid that fills their lungs. This happened to me and killed my parrot and my cockateil when I dozed off one night while waiting for water to boil in a teflon pan. I woke up to my small bird already dead and my parrot falling off his perch, then dead. I will NEVER forgive the industry for not having warning labels on that crap!

No offense, but one should REALLY try not to fall asleep while cooking anything. You could have burned your house down! Do we need a warning for that?
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options

No offense, but one should REALLY try not to fall asleep while cooking anything. You could have burned your house down! Do we need a warning for that?

Well, duh, I planned on falling asleep yes I did! Got I hate people sometimes.
  • alibur85
    alibur85 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

we got rid of our teflon pans after learning about how toxic they were and how having a bird in the house while cooking with them will actually kill the bird. Yeah, not something I want with children in the house.

as far as keeping your stainless clean, we use Barkeeper's Friend. and I clean them once a month with it. You can also just use baking soda and make a paste with water, it cleans them pretty good along with some good ol elbow grease ;)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I don't see how a warning would have stopped you falling asleep accidentally and burning a pan accidentally?
  • alibur85
    alibur85 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

True about the fumes killing birds... but I honestly think your issue here isn't with the "industry" but more so with the lack of caffeine while cooking.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Have you gotten rid of your teflon pans?

If so what are you using to cook with, what are you using besides tons of oil to keep the food from sticking, or do you think this anti-teflon craze is crazy!
    I had one teflon pan and it was a hastle to take care of and was lopsided. I usually use ceramic or cast iron. Yay cast iron. I season them to keep them from sticking (pop them in the oven upside down with oil). After using them after a while you don't need to season them anymore.

I also have a pan that appears to be some type of shiny gold plated pan from perderno. I don't do anything for that guy...nothing seems to ever stick to it, so it could be a pretty teflon. It just says 'non stick' http://paderno.com/shop/paramount-fry-pan-30cm/
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I use the pans I get used from thrift shops, because I'm broke. Some have teflon, and I'm not too worried, I throw them out if they start to chip and pay a buck for a new one. A lot of my baking pans are cheap enamel, porcelain, or glass.

For skillets and stuff, have you tried cast iron? These can be gotten cheap as well, and when "seasoned" properly they don't need to be washed with soap often and you won't need cooking spray. It would be better to look the process up but basically only rise and scrub, don't use soap and if you do or haven't used them in a while, you cook some form of grease on them first. I use olive oil on mine. Again, they can be purchased cheap at thrift shops. They have the advantage of adding a little extra iron to your diet, believe it or not.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

How long does water take to boil in Teflon?

In my stainless steel, it boils in about five minutes ...
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I use all stainless steel, easy to clean once I got the hang of them and a tiny spray makes even eggs slide easilly around. I use EVOO for most things I cook because I need the healthy fats and buy really lean meats.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

we got rid of our teflon pans after learning about how toxic they were and how having a bird in the house while cooking with them will actually kill the bird. Yeah, not something I want with children in the house.

as far as keeping your stainless clean, we use Barkeeper's Friend. and I clean them once a month with it. You can also just use baking soda and make a paste with water, it cleans them pretty good along with some good ol elbow grease ;)

They also say just as bad things about ceramic. I know someone who has a bird in their kitchen and they cook with tefalon every day and they've had them for about 6 years now? Cutest friendliest budgie ever. Little sweet heart. I told them about the teflon thing and they seemed surprised and then told me they cook with it daily. They switched just in case but it doesn't seem to make sense. I wonder where those 'studies' about tefalon kills came from.