Thoughts on Before/After Photos

Options
I'm thinking about taking "Before" photos to help myself stay focused... Not sure though, I hate my photo being taken and I'm worried it'll discourage me more than encourage me. What are the thoughts of others? I have to lose almost 100 lbs, I'm thinking this may help, but I'm scared.

Replies

• teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Before and after are awesome! They help you see how far you have come, I have been taking them since I started and I am amazed at the change! Take the leap of faith and do it. :)
  • annicins
    Options
    I took some, and it has really helped me. If I ever get discouraged, I look at my progress pics now and compare to the befores. It helps me stay motivated to see the changes!
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    As much as it sucks, do it. Later on, you'll be very glad you did. All the fabulous, motivational success story posts... they wouldn't have nearly as much impact without those before/after photos. ;)

I take a photo once a month in the same outfit. I hate it and dread it every time, but seeing my body slowly change shape is worth the personal humiliation, in my opinion.
  • jennifer907
    jennifer907 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think they are a good idea, but I didn't take them. Sometimes I wish I had because there have been many days where I feel like I still haven't lost anything. I also highly recommend taking your measurements (which is what I did). It was depressing the first time, but now it's just insane to hold out the measuring tape to what it was and think wow.. that was tight on me. Good luck in your journey!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Absolutely take them! I'm taking new photos the 1st of every month in 2013 so that I can see how far I've come... You could always have someone take them for you... then not look at them until a month from now when you have something to compare them to
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    What are you scared of? Take the picture and store it away on your hard drive/SD card/etc. You don't have to stare at it all day.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Its awesome to see how far you come, take as many naked pics as possible!
  • cburky911
    cburky911 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you're afraid of discouragement then take the picture but don't look at them. Then take a picture when you've gotten to your goal weight and look at them side by side then. That way you'll have the before pic and be able to truly see the change.
  • shannypoo21
    Options
    I think you should. Trust me in the end you will be happy you did. It will show proof of the hard work and committment you made to make yourself healthier. You have so many of us here to help encourage you so rely on that support. But yes definitely take a before shot of yourself! Good luck to you hun!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    DO IT! and remember, there is no law that says you have to post them anywhere. No need to be embarrassed.

Do it for you. You can always change your mind and post them later if you feel confident and are proud enough of your results.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Take some! I regret not having pics of me at my heaviest. We all know why we don't have one, we HIDE from cameras. However, you can take one privately and keep it for yourself for motivation. Later, after all of your amazing, hard work, you can post after pics!

I still keep my fat pic nearby and look at it once in a while, it keeps me going because I'm not ever going back THERE again!

Good luck!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    DO IT. You will NOT regret it! Once you are ready to take "after" pictures it makes it that much more awesome to visually SEE how far you've come.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I took before pictures. I hated how my body looked like, but to see your progress keeps you pushing towards your goal.
  • lhatt83
    lhatt83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do it!! You may hate what you see now, but most of us did in the beginning too.
    If you are really worried about being discouraged by them, have someone take the pictures and don't look at them for a month (or until you are ready to take your next round of progress pictures).

When I am frustrated with the scale, I just look back at my before pictures and I am overwhelmed at how far I have come.
    You will almost certainly regret not taking them!
    My best friend took some a year ago and was complaining recently that she wasn't making much progress (down about 20lbs in a year). When she pulled up her old pics, our jaws dropped! Her body has changed so much and without those pictures she wouldn't have been able to appreciate that.

29410897.png
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Go for it! it is VERY encouraging and motivational to self-esteem! Only my pictures told the true story because I kept seeing the big me in the mirror and not the lady who was becoming smaller. Good luck to you and much success on this journey!:flowerforyou:
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Do it and I bet you won't regret it. I can seem to figure out how to post. Not asking for help as people have been most generous. If you can then just do it. In the end you will enjoy having the pictures.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    DO it! It's fantastic motivation and then you have something to compare it to. Although idl looking at the old pics, I sure do like the differences I see between them and now!
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    Do it! I was like you. I refused to take before pics, but I am so glad that I did! Ya they suck, and you don't look very good but when you have that comparison pic it is all worth it!
  • OBXbound4me
    OBXbound4me Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Do it! I just did it and about to post tonight. I lost 17 lb last year in about 4 months and reset my ticker and took new pics for this year. It will be a great motivator and measuring tool when the scale does not show the refected effort all the time. Feel free to add me also.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea! They will give you a real sense of accomplishment. I am so glad I took before pics!