Road trip! Help Please!!

Options
So this weekend my husband and I are moving, and it is going to be a 1500 mile trip. He wants to drive straight through without stopping (we've done this before) and the only thing worrying me is staying within my daily calorie goal. In the past I just snack on whatever and we always stop at fast food places. So any tips on what to pack snack wise? We won't have a lot of space in the cab of the truck since the dogs will be riding with us :)

Replies

• cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Crunchy raw veggies. Gum can help, too. :)
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    apples, a small cooler or even an insulated lunch box to keep some sandwhiches of your preference in, baby carrots, portion controlled pretzels measured out in tiny zip locked bags ( or any other dry snack of your liking already measured out) etc...
  • S_Delbridge
    Options
    First I would say to make sure you eat a plentiful breakfast before hitting the road & try to get in a workout before also. Take raw veggies, that is a must! take baby carrots, precut peppers, broccoli, and cauliflower. Maybe a few hard boiled eggs. 100 calorie snack pack. natural pb with wheat bread for a more fufilling snack.. maybe you can pre make a salad with spinach lots of veggies and grilled chicken. cranberries, raisins, and nuts. also limit your self. when I travel to see my sons grandparents I only let myself "snack" every 2.5 hours. Also drink as much water as possible to feel fuller
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Anything but salads and apples - they dont fill you.

Eat burgers then use the excuse of needing to exercise to break in the new house with "alone time" with your hubby. Fun + burgers = happy time and smiles for unpacking!
  • TLEIGH33777
    TLEIGH33777 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Anything but salads and apples - they dont fill you.

Eat burgers then use the excuse of needing to exercise to break in the new house with "alone time" with your hubby. Fun + burgers = happy time and smiles for unpacking!

^^^this :wink:
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    we do a huge 4000 mile road trip every summer and my husband loves fast food. i found the value menu salads at burger king are pretty decent just stay light on the dressing. I've also relied on pop chips, rice cakes, sliced cucumbers, carrots, almonds, and deli meat. Deli meat is great because you can eat it by itself or you can make it into a sandwich or wrap and the hubby will likely enjoy a sandwich as well so you dont feel like you're eating a special meal for your diet. My husband also drinks lots of energy drinks on road trips so I try to bring along some zip fizz for myself as a special drink while hes chugging redbull.

good luck!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    PB2 and sugar free jelly sandwich- I use those Joseph's bakery breads and the really big one is like 100 calories and tons of protein and fiber, use PB2 which is much lower calorie peanut butter, polamer sugar free jelly is 5 calories a tbsp.

Seasnax (seaweed)-toasty onion flavor is my favorite

Cucumber slices and baby carrots, maybe some nuts as long as you keep them portion controlled, fruit, etc.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Never have I had a truck loaded so much I couldn't put a cooler in the back. Inside the cooler put what you normally eat....that's why they invented coolers.
  • tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When we were driving across the country, we'd often stop at one of the many Walmarts along the way and hit the deli for lunch meat and cheese and make roll ups in the car on the go. Its versatile, filling, and very easy to eat on the run! Depending on how we felt, we'd pick up some extras to go with. There are endless combinations, but for example, we've done roast beef, turkey, colby cheese, wrapped around a pickle spear or ham, swiss, and a small squirt of honey mustard. Plus there was the added bonus of being in Walmart so we could pick up any other things we found we needed along the way.

If you have the room, air popped popcorn is a great mindless snack that makes you feel like you are eating a lot for very few calories. I second the raw veggie comment to. Carrots, Celery, cucumber slices, grape tomatoes with a little bit of dipping sauce (or not, your choice!) are filling and take some time to eat. Also if you get stuck in a situation where you're ravenous and nothing in the car looks appealing, most gas stations have the lunchables that are turkey or ham and cheese with crackers. They are high in sodium, but they come in around 260 calories if I remember correctly and are very filling. Definitely saved me on a trip to Utah that was taking twice as long as I thought it would.