How did YOU do it?

Options
vmarie74
vmarie74 Posts: 26 Member
I see all the pictures, the success stories and they are QUITE motivational to someone struggling to get the weight off. But, I'd love to hear how you did it with diet plan, exercise plan, etc. Did you cut carbs at all, just eat your calories, did you eat back your exercise calories? Please - let me see the whole pictures. How did YOU do it with pictures and your story!!!

Replies

• poissonus
    Options
    i'm new to this so i dont know how to imbed pictures but you can see a before and now picture on my profile.

okay...how i did it. two words: raw foods. i started out in may 2009 weighing in at 287. the first time i did it i ate raw foods for a solid 3 months. since then each year i eat raw foods between 30 and 90 days a year...in 30 day increments. today i weigh 193. it's helped me be much more conscious of what's in the food i'm putting in my mouth and in turn taught me how to keep it off.

with regards to exercise, up to this point i've only done cardio. usually 3 mile walks 3-5 days a week as well as some weekend hikin. however, i'm in the home stretch these days with my final goal 150 only 43 pounds away so i know it's time to step up the exercise.

just my story :)
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    First I purchased a bodybugg
    I immediately started doing 40 minutes of cardio 7 days per week
    I Starteg logging my meals and made sure I was in a 1,000 calorie deficit each day (If I burned 2,200, I ate 1,200. If I burned 2,500, I ate 1,500 and so on)

*NOTE - MFP and some people here on MFP do not agree with a deficit this high but it worked fantastic for "ME". I did not completely restrict my diet but drastically changed my portions. Still had sugar in my coffee, still ate pasta etc.

In the beginning I did circuit training 4 times per week in addition to my 7 days of cardio and after about 8 weeks I started doing standard weight training.

I lost 25lbs in 12 weeks :-) Once I reached my goal weight, I completely adjusted my diet and started lifting heavier which gave me a little more size and definition. I gained a few lbs which was fine because my goal weight was a little low.

ChangeIsGood_zps528f1b29.jpg[img][/img]
  • AZDee
    AZDee Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Lower calories and low carbs...no sugar, just the natural sugar found in fruit...lean 4 oz portions of meat, serving of vegs at every meal. Totally gave up flour, drank tons of water and lost over 100 lbs in a year....
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I see all the pictures, the success stories and they are QUITE motivational to someone struggling to get the weight off. But, I'd love to hear how you did it with diet plan, exercise plan, etc. Did you cut carbs at all, just eat your calories, did you eat back your exercise calories? Please - let me see the whole pictures. How did YOU do it with pictures and your story!!!
    My resting rate was 110 and I felt like crap but I wasn't that heavy (150lbs)

I ate 1200 calories and first I was starving and then instead of getting comfortable I smartened up and figured out my TDEE. I ate slightly less then that. I ate exercise calories back (I net about 1700). I upped my protein and try to get about 100g (the recommendation here is far to low here to be healthy imo). I cut out SOME carbs but increase them when I exercise since they're great for refueling the body. That usually ranged from 100-200+ for me. I ate far to much fat. I tried to get as many nutrients in my body as I could when I could with food and not pills.

I lost all my weight being mostly sedentary. I'm a full time student so my exercise was walking to my car lol

533026_10151751503890607_1389625307_a.jpg292108_10151751503605607_2077553503_a.jpg179958_10151751504245607_165435170_a.jpg

I lost allot of my muscle mass. I started hiking regularly. I got slimmer but didn't change weight.

542074_10151751504035607_74258415_a.jpg]535356_10151751503765607_1690500749_a.jpg303367_10151751504375607_905840960_a.jpg

I decided I'm far to skinny and didn't want to lose weight to get more defined and hardly have any muscle mass so I tried gaining weight for a few months (put on 10 lbs) since you can't gain muscle mass on a calorie deficit. I gave the Christmas cookies all I had lol. Just started lifting weights at the gym. This is what it looked like after I gained 10 lbs (of mostly fat I think lol) back. I plan on lifting weights to work off the fat and cutting myself down again).

13599033_125.jpg13599033_1421.jpg

As you can see there's a line going down my stomach now, which wasn't as visible when I was slimmer, so I'm sure it well work out for the better in the end!
  • vmarie74
    vmarie74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    These are great - thank you for all indulging me. I hope to hear from more people, I'm surprised there aren't more responses.

You all are inspiration.

I have a bodymedia now and am really learning to use it - I think it'll be my secret weapon.
  • Beclidd
    Options
    what about 1 or 2 pepsi max or coke zero a day? Do you think they are ok to have. I need to loose at least 100 pounds I am watching my calorie intake.
  • Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    find a passion...

my passion is racing, i want to get better at it and improve my overall lap times.. no matter how much money i spend.. i wont see improvements unless i improve my self...

remember being fit and healthy is something your doing for your self and no one else.

but passion plays a big role in my commitment.
  • m8605
    m8605 Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm just simply watching how much I eat and I try to do at least a mile a day. Seems to work fine for me. I have a limit of 2500 or so but I try to eat around 1600-1700 ish which is what I normally do unless like yesterday when I was quite hungry throughout the day and ate like 4-5 meals worth... that was the odd bad day though.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I eat clean, no processed foods, no soda, lean protein, low carbs, lots of water, try to work out or walk at least 3 times a week. I t has worked for me.

Remember, its not a diet, it is a lifestyle change.
  • Debrann310
    Debrann310 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Walking 3 to 4 miles a day. Eating veggies 5 times a day and using smaller plate at dinner. That has benn my main push and I have lost 50 lbs in a year. Also am eating a 1200 calorie day.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research.

I follow the 80/20 approach (80% healthy foods and moderate portions, 20% of indulgent foods of whatever I want and as much as I want!)

I took things slowly and tackled one thing at a time.

I had patience.

When you get here, it is SO difficult to stay here!

Gained 7lbs over Christmas, but even just getting back to my healthy habits of WATER, ENOUGH SLEEP, DAILY ACTIVITY, GREEN TEA, BALANCED MEALS, NO JUNK FOOD, LOTS OF FRUIT AND VEG, the weight is falling back off...am down 4lbs this week already.

Once you find BALANCE, you will get there.

You need to be consistent, and you NEED to be patient...it doesn't happen overnight!
  • _TEMPEST_
    _TEMPEST_ Posts: 205
    Options
    water.
    raised my protein, cut back the carbs, knocked out processed sugar. no soda, no bottled teas or juices.
    more water.
    started by taking a walk one day and kept at it, going just a bit further each day.
    and more water.
    made a "soundtrack" of disco music, walked faster. walked further.
    got a heavy bag set up in the garage, beat the snot out of it.
    drank more water.
    230# to 160#....there's a "before" picture in my profile. check it out.
    you can do this, you don't have to go fast, you just have to GO.
    and drink water :happy:
  • nahiluoh
    nahiluoh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Keeping to a good/clean diet at least 80% of the time has been the key for me.

I keep my carbs low (50-100 grams/day) and try to do 50/50 on fat and protein with the remainder of my daily calorie target, I have a cheat meal -- but not a cheat DAY -- on occasion (usually after a huge workout or a long hike.

I lift weights twice a week and do cardio 2-4X/week.

It's all about consistency and putting multiple good days together.
  • feefie04
    feefie04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am doing it very slowly...

I have never been an active person. I love stopping to smell the roses, and if I am pressured to do anything in a hurry I get stressed and develop a distaste for whatever activity was stressing me out.

I have tried exercising, but I end up quitting because I find it stiflingly boring and monotonous... and I just didn't eat correctly enough to feel well while I was doing it.

So, this brings me to my point... currently I have only adjusted my caloric intake, without adding any exercise (as of yet). I am sticking to 1 pound loss a week calorie wise (1500), with a lower carb, higher fat/protein macro (don't always stick to the macros, but consciously try to intake protein when I get the chance). I also still eat fast food a few times a week, but I naturally avoid most sweet or fried things ( I hate sugary things and I hate fried, fatty things... so that helps). I also haven't drank soda for 5 years (no taste for it) and don't really have a needy relationship with food (my personality tends to refuse food when stressed, rather than crave it), so that may be different for you.

Sometimes I stick to my maintenance calories (2000) because, hey, sometimes I just want to eat a little more, I'm extra hungry, etc and hitting maintenance level won't hurt anything but the time it takes to lose. Usually it ends up being like this around PMS times, when my appetite is through the roof, I allow myself a little breathing room.

So far I have lost 15 pounds since September, and I took almost the entire month off in December (maintenance levels, because of holiday food!). So for Sept, Oct, and Nov I have lost the pound a week like I am supposed to.

I have chosen this method because I want something *I* can stick to, and exercise puts me off the whole thing. Refusing myself certain foods "because I can never ever have it again" puts me off. I heavily control portion size, because that seemed to be my biggest problem. Other than that, I stay away from things that are insanely calorie dense, like a small item that has 500+ calories in one serving (Cheesecake factory, lots of carb-laden items). Protein is great for feeling full with a lesser calorie intake than carbs, which is why people like to do that... but I don't follow the "omg carbs r bad" style.

One day I will add in exercise, because I know it is good for me and I need to get a hobby that promotes being active... but for now this is what works for me :) Maybe you can find some helpful info in what I wrote!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    We are all different so what works for someone else may not work for you. To date I've lost over 100 lbs. (the ticker is set to show this year's goal). My best hints:

This is a healthy lifestyle - NOT a diet. Diets don't work in the long run.

Eat your calories (and I mean eat at the recommended MFP level) in the most healthy form possible. I eat a lot of veggies. There is nothing on a "forbidden" list - I eat what I want. This includes the don't waste your money on shakes, bars, etc. unless they really fit in to your lifestyle. I'm on the go often so bars with a piece of fruit are a great meal for me.

Exercise - while the change on the scale is 90% food and 10% exercise, what you see in the mirror is just the opposite. The more you can see a difference, the more motivated you are.

Those are the basics. Good luck!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

I've always been into exercise and eating well, or at least for the past 14 years or so, but I put on a lot of weight in my 2nd pregnancy and I hadn't entirely lost it from my first pregnancy (kids are 22 months apart) so I knew before my 2nd was even born that I would have a lot of work to do! I was massive after, it was really depressing!

My daughter was born May 12th 2011, and I was back at the gym on July 1st. I started personal training sessions and weighed 218lbs then. I just gymmed 5 times a week and did loads of walking with my kids, and ate healthily. I didn't use MFP then, I only started using it a year later. I didn't cut anything out, but I try to limit myself to 1 slice of bread a day, and don't really eat pasta. I don't eat too many sweet treats, and I rarely drink alcohol.

Now I vary my exercise a bit more. I still do the PT but I also do Zumba, aerobics and spinning. I went back to work when my daughter was 10.5 months old - I work part time as a secondary school teacher so i'm on my feet all day at work.

Ok, pics.

This is my worst photo I have, when my daughter was a small baby and my son was just 2:
    worst_pic.jpg
    free image hosting

This is a similar time:
    100_2010.jpg
    host images

This is mid December 2012:
    100_8697.jpg
    online photo sharing

Dec 23rd:
    100_8818.jpg
    upload photos

and NYE:
    SAM_0283.jpg
    host images

I still have around 15lbs to go before I'm happy, and some major toning up to do!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I lost mine by switching to a whole foods, plant based diet. I was diagnosed with reflux in March of 2012, and when I left the doctor that day I started thinking. It seemed ridiculous to take meds for something I could control myself. I also knew that at 41 years old and 338 pounds, it was only a matter of time before I was on meds for diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. I decided that day it was time for a change. I did a lot of reading and decided to go plant based. For about the first 50 pounds, I did not do any exercise at all. After I lost the first 50 I started walking, only a mile at a time to begin with.

Now I still walk, take long hikes (7 or 8 miles) when I can, ride a recumbent bike, and have started doing yoga. I don't spend a ton of time exercising though, and I just try to generally be a little more active. I park as far as possible from any store I go to, I take the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. I feel like a new woman!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I ate at a deficit
    Measured things out - >helped me with portion control
    Exercised

No shortcuts. No pills. No fad diets. No detox/cleanse whatevers. Just me, myself, and I taking it one step at a time to change not just physically, but mentally as well.

I didn't do the low carb/sugar thing. I eat what I want. True, I eat healthier because that's what I want to do. But I don't stress over a candy bar, fast food, something carb heavy, etc.

I am 5'1 and I eat 1600 calories (1800-2000 on high cal burn days) - and I'm still losing.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    at just over 260 I saw a doctor and a fitness trainer, One helped me build a 1200 calorie low carb diet (I WAS a diabetic) the other put me in a pool where I could build strength and stamina until I lost enough weight to try new things. At 200 pounds I started adding out of pool cardio like elliptical, treadmill and just outdoor walks. at 185 I started couch to 5 K. I'm now a year out, am just trying to maintain until the weather warms up and I can start running again, because I'm 157 and would still like to take off another 12 pounds before my birthday in May. I still eat 1200 calories, high protein, low carb and I have never eaten my exercise calories. That is what works for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!