Beer Lover

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and excited about all the features of this site and the message boards. Hopefully it will keep me accountable.

I love to workout. I've been doing P90x and playing basketball 2x per week for a couple of years now, before that a regular at the gym so i'm in good condition. However, I really love me some beer. I make my own beer and have a kegerator filled with beer at all times. I also really love food so in the last 2 years i've gained about 35 pounds despite the fact that i've been playing basketball and doing P90x.

So now that i'm 36 i realize i really need to get myself in check and get down to my goal weight this year and make some changes lifelong changes before it gets too difficult. I'm not drinking until my birthday in February and I just started Insanity last week. I'm hoping to inspire, be inspired, and be kept in check while i use this site.

Thanks and Good luck to everyone!!

Replies

• patinaragazza
    patinaragazza Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! I know from experience (being from NOLA we love our drinking every day and every night) that it is difficult but possible to put the exercise and diet before the drinking. I won't lie--I still drink and could lose quicker if I swore it off, but this is more realistic for me and I am seeing results.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Sounds good bro.

Save the beer for special occasions and log it.

This is a lifestyle change and it's important to look at it that way rather than banning yourself from things that you enjoy.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Sounds good bro.

Save the beer for special occasions and log it.

This is a lifestyle change and it's important to look at it that way rather than banning yourself from things that you enjoy.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! I know from experience (being from NOLA we love our drinking every day and every night) that it is difficult but possible to put the exercise and diet before the drinking. I won't lie--I still drink and could lose quicker if I swore it off, but this is more realistic for me and I am seeing results.

Yes, that is why i'm not drinking for a month, so i can get rid of that "easy" to lose weight quicker. Thanks for the encouragement. Next time im in NOLA i'll definitely be getting a drink and a muffaletta. ha.
  • patinaragazza
    patinaragazza Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes I find if I don't drink for a few weeks at a time I will drop off a couple of pounds quicker...then I go back to the slow loss that includes a few drinks with friends on the weekend. And Mardi Gras is coming up so I am going to have to exercise like a madwoman to lose!
  • vharding7
    vharding7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am a beer lover as well, brewing is fun! But I recently decided only to drink 1-2 days a week now. Sometimes I go over but I have already noticed a difference weight wise and it's only been two weeks. I tried giving it up totally, but I found that like other things it is OK in moderation, and depriving myself of something I enjoy just doesn't work. I just exercise harder that day and then treat myself with some Irish Red, or a nice IPA haha :happy:
  • jagspal
    jagspal Posts: 75
    Options
    Dry till February! Great goal, sometimes I forget how the beer cals add up quick, good luck!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Good luck!