low protein and protein shakes ??

Options
Hiya,

I am VERY new to this and I haven't got a clue !! :laugh:

I want to lose a good few pounds and it seems I am not having enough protein. I have thought about having a protein shake in the morning for breakfast (as sometimes I can't bear food in the morning !). The problem that I have is that I do not and will not go to a gym. I do housework, go out shopping, now use a exercise bike.

The thing that I am trying to find out is - if I have a protein shake in the morning, will it make me bulk up and get bigger (as this is what I don't want !) ?

Many thanks

Anne xxx

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    No, you will not bulk up by consuming more protein. You would have to lift weights and eat at a calorie surplus to even have a chance of bulking up.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    And even if you do the above and you are female, your chances of "bulking up" is slim to nothing....
    As long as the protein shakes fits into you calories it's good....
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't but you need to read the label. Some are formulated for bulking, others aren't. If you go to a health store like GNC, they have many different types and someone can help you choose the right type.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    No. (Unless it makes you exceed the number of calories you need to maintain your weight).
  • KiraBaby20
    Options
    The best way to lose weight is to take your goal weight, divide it by 2. then take that number and divide it buy the amount of meals you will eat a day. ex (175/2=87.5....87.5/6=14.5) The first number is the min amount of protein you need a day. The next eqation number is per meal. This will help you loose weight!
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Nope (What rose313 said). Enjoy your shake. :smile:
  • fluffypetal
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate it xxx

Would the protein shake (as long as it doesn't go over my cals intake !) help with getting the muuscles working to help with the weight loss ?

:flowerforyou:

Annie xxx
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    A protein shake isn't going to "do" anything but provide you with nutrition. The only way to get your muscles working is to exercise and be active. That doesn't mean you absolutely HAVE to go to a gym. I lost all of my weight initially by doing DVDs at home and walking the dog or jogging around the neighborhood. If you can squeeze in 30-45 minutes a day you should start seeing more results.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    Yes. Don't drink protein shakes unless you want to look like this in a week:

a-women-bodybuilder-trainwreck-16.jpg
  • fluffypetal
    Options
    Oh my god !!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

As long as she is happy :wink:

Annie xxx