Healthy Pizza Ideas

Options
MonicaRoxxs
MonicaRoxxs Posts: 40 Member
I am a BIG fan of pizza!! Never made it from scratch at home so do you all have any tips of making a healthy tasty pizza that my 5 year old son would love too?? Also...any quick breakfast ideas. I currently eat Strawberry oatmeal and turkey bacon but Im tired of
eating that lol

Replies

• Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    pizza is typically loaded with calories from the crust and cheese, so that is what you want to target to drop the calorie load. Making your own crust is super easy, just time consuming, I just did it for the first time this weekend. I used the whole wheat recipe from allrecipe.com and after putting it into the recipe creator on MFP, it comes to about 90 calories a slice (for thin crust). I think you can go even thinner and cut the calories even more, and have a crispy cracker like crust to boot!

Next use low-fat cheese, part skim, or just cut down on the portion of cheese. This last weekend I used crumbled goat cheese, which a little goes a long way. Then load up the veggies, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, basil, onion, spinach, whatever. Add a few strips of low-fat bacon if you must have meat and you are good to go with a pizza that should be around 130-150 calories per slice.

hope this helps. You can check out my diary (last sunday is when we had the pizza) for some more info on the nutritional value of that pizza.
  • MonicaRoxxs
    MonicaRoxxs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow that sounds delish...definitely time consuming but delish! lol Im definitely going to try it especially with the turkey bacon becuase I have to have meat out it lol. Thank you!!
  • atticfanatic
    atticfanatic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I make my pizza on light flat out breads (they look like a tortilla shell but oval and bigger), or a low calorie tortilla shell. Spray the shell will Pam and bake till crispy, then add 1/4 cup of canned pizza sauce, about 1/2 cup fat free or low fat mozzarella cheese and whatever veggies you like. Bake till cheese melts. Our grandkids LOVE these because they can make their own! Some toppings we use are fresh sliced (thin) tomatoes, bell pepper, mushrooms, onions and TURKEY pepperoni is very very good :) For sausage lovers, we use the turkey breakfast links cut up. Very good, low calories and kid friendly.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I make my pizza on light flat out breads (they look like a tortilla shell but oval and bigger), or a low calorie tortilla shell. Spray the shell will Pam and bake till crispy, then add 1/4 cup of canned pizza sauce, about 1/2 cup fat free or low fat mozzarella cheese and whatever veggies you like. Bake till cheese melts. Our grandkids LOVE these because they can make their own! Some toppings we use are fresh sliced (thin) tomatoes, bell pepper, mushrooms, onions and TURKEY pepperoni is very very good :) For sausage lovers, we use the turkey breakfast links cut up. Very good, low calories and kid friendly.

I second the flat out wraps. They are great for individual pizzas and are around 100 cal each (depending on which kind you get). They are also high in fiber and protein.

I will top my pizza with some tomato sauce, turkey pepperoni, tons of veggies (bell pepper, mushrooms, onions, spinach, zucchini...) and shredded mozzarella. Very yummy, filling and around 400 calories.