whats wrong with me?

Options
I re-joined the gym in november after a year and a bit break and since then I have been getting ill on average once a month. At first I thought it was a bug then I started to get worried and had a full blood screening done - I came back the picture of health. The doc put my getting ill down to over training but I really dont/didnt think I was over training. I was only going to the gym 3x a week, always having a break in between sessions and doing about 40 mins cardio, 20 mins weights, 20 mins core.

I spoke to a friend who is a personal trainer and she said to take vit c and l-glutamine and I will stop getting ill. I spoke to another trainer and he suspected I had a vitamin deficiency. I googled vitamin deficiency with my symptoms (which have included headaches, stinging eyes, feeling dizzy, numb toes) and with every symptom came a b12 deficiency. However, when I was tested it said my b12 levels were normal... so I dont know.

I have been off the gym for three weeks with illness. I went back once about half way when I was feeling better. I started to feel ill again half way through but ignored it and within 2 days I was full on ill and needed another week off. I have just gone back to the gym today, as I have been feeling really healthy. I tried to ease myself back into it by going easy (I only did 45 mins instead of my usual 90 mins). I literally only did 20 mins interval, some weights and situps. I had half a protein bar before with 2 glucose tablets and half the bar when I finished. I walked to the shop, picked up a few things then when I'd been sat down on the bus for five mins I came over feeling very nauseous and light headed. I felt weird, on edge, and was worried I'd faint if I stood up. I ate 3 dried apricots in case I needed food but that didnt seem to do much.

Its now a couple of hours later and I have eaten a meal (well forced it down) and still feel nauseous and on edge. My eyes feel sore too. I should not be reacting like this after a light workout...

Anyone have any ideas whats wrong? I am going to go back to the doc next week but I am banging my head against a brick wall with them. I am well hydrated too...

Replies

• Julie837
    Julie837 Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi, I used to have similar symptoms when I had an iron deficiency, and would almost pass out when I stood up too fast. Since you had your blood tested you're probably ok, but it doesn't hurt to take a little more. Also, are you sick if you work out outside the gym? What about seasonal allergies? Just a thought, hope you feel better, Julie
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    Hi julie. I have been monitoring my nutrition online and my iron intake from food is one of the things I was really lacking in. I am trying to increase that (had about 60% today but was initially about 10%). I am taking a B-active multi-vitamin which includes iron so I'm reluctant to think its that but you never know... Its the first time I have ever felt sick after a workout. I did go for a half hour walk/jog earlier outside and didnt feel sick. Maybe being tested for allergies is a road to go down, although I have never had any allergies that I know of. Thanks for your comment.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    To me it sounds like a vitamin deficiency. A B12 deficiency can be masked by increased folic acid intake, but I'm sure your doc tested for that. Anemia is also a possibility, as mentioned. Also, just curious, but why do you take glucose tabs? If you have diabetes, these symptoms could potentially be explained...

Another question...do you have any abdominal symptoms? Diarrhea, stool that floats, etc?
  • betzyrama
    betzyrama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    "headaches, stinging eyes, feeling dizzy, numb toes"

Add to that what you said about being "on edge" and I would make sure your B-complex vitamin has adequate B5 (Pantothenic Acid) in it (they often don't!).

Broccoli, corn, mushroom, yoghurt, sunflower seeds...all good sources of B5, but even though I eat lots of those things, I still have to take extra B5 or I grind my teeth (chronic bruxism runs in my family) and clench my jaw 24/7. Extra B5 could help with insomnia too I think!
  • mzmoonlight
    Options
    To me it sounds like a vitamin deficiency. A B12 deficiency can be masked by increased folic acid intake, but I'm sure your doc tested for that. Anemia is also a possibility, as mentioned. Also, just curious, but why do you take glucose tabs? If you have diabetes, these symptoms could potentially be explained...

Another question...do you have any abdominal symptoms? Diarrhea, stool that floats, etc?

Interesting. I am going to get retested for b12 this week. I dont think I was tested for folic acid, it was just a general test that tested for lots of things and one way b12, but that was in January so things could have changed since then I guess. I dont have diabetes, this is one of the things they specifically wanted to test for and they said my blood sugar was at a really good level. They checked my thyroid too. They ruled out anemia... I was literally the picture of health in those tests! I take glucose tablets before a work out because it enhances my performance... I dont always get to eat carbs immediately before a workout so this is in place of that. No abdominal symptoms...
  • mzmoonlight
    Options
    "headaches, stinging eyes, feeling dizzy, numb toes"

Add to that what you said about being "on edge" and I would make sure your B-complex vitamin has adequate B5 (Pantothenic Acid) in it (they often don't!).

Broccoli, corn, mushroom, yoghurt, sunflower seeds...all good sources of B5, but even though I eat lots of those things, I still have to take extra B5 or I grind my teeth (chronic bruxism runs in my family) and clench my jaw 24/7. Extra B5 could help with insomnia too I think!

I dont know but I think I may have been having a slight anxiety attack yesterday and that would account for me being on edge... there is 378% of my RDA of B5 in my vitamin supplement... I don't feel ill today which is something as I was worried about getting ill all over again but I am worn out from the exercise, which is odd as I'm not normally however I hadnt exercised for a while so that can account for that...
  • mzmoonlight
    Options
    For those of you that are interested, I saw the doctor today. He is not convinced I have a vitamin decifiency as my screening in January came back clear. He did say it could be celiacs disease but his favourite diagnosis was depression. He thinks its making me ill, quite literally. I dont buy into this, while its true I do struggle with this, I have had a much better handle on it since I have been working out and these illnesses only started after I started to exercise. I was a bit concerned with his diagnosis because he seemed to make it before I even sat down and didnt ask me about my symptoms (I forced them on him but forgot to mention half of them). Anyway, he has agreed to have a broad ranging test again so I'll have that on Monday, which is testing for everything from anemia to thyroid to blood sugar and wheat - plus b12 and folate, ferratin... etc