Need advice!

Options
I just spent the holidays overeating, especially sweets. I vowed that today I was starting fresh, and that I am committed to eating clean: lean meats, organic veggies and fruits, nuts. I got home from work, and then gorged on sweets again. I know, they shouldnt be in the house, but my husband doesnt think it's fair that he cant have sweets in the house just because I cant conrol myself.

My request is for any positive feedback on how to move on, forget about what I just did (gorged on cake and cookies until I feel physically sick). I would like to not get down on myself for failing to get through my first day of healthy eating. Any positive thoughts or advice would be SOOOOOO helpful. I am ready to start again tomorrow, but this bloated, sick feeling that I just caused myself is making it hard to be positive.

Replies

• Yube21
    Yube21 Posts: 4
    Options
    Dont dwell on what happened. What you did yesterday is all in the past. Focus on what your doing now and for your future. Yesterday was cake today im doing veggies!!! lol
  • LottiAnn
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it. Try to figure out WHY you gorged. Were you emotionally eating? If so, what triggered it and what can you do about it next time?

Tomorrow is a new day and I KNOW you can do it!
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Amen! Never quit quitting the junk, start again now. . . don't wait for tomorrow. Do something to make yourself feel good about YOU today. Tomorrow you can tackle the food thing again.

Be sure you have a lot of healthy things planned and available to you and tell yourself you are stonger than the junk food!! A couple of days without it and the cravings will stop. Read whatever you can get your hands on and keep reading; here or in books, the internet, etc. Information will be what saves you!!!

Good luck, show your husband that he can have that junk and that you can skip it!!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You can start over....every day. But you have to want to eat right MORE than eat the junk. For 6 months, I had those "tomorrow"'s until finally I hit bottom, got serious and haven't looked back. I have a partner who can eat whatever he wants....I just dont eat it. As everyone has said, you CAN do it....if you really want to. :)
  • megedoug
    megedoug Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that willpower is a muscle and you have to exercise it for it to get stronger. So every time you pass up a sweet, that willpower muscle will get stronger. Next time you want to eat, walk away for 5 minutes and then decide if you really want it. Or tell yourself that if you're hungry, you can have some carrot sticks. I found that when I'm legitimately hungry, carrot sticks will do. When I'm emotional eating or eating out of boredom, they won't. In those times I'll often quickly give myself a manicure or something. Can't be sticking wet nail polish into the oreo sleeve ;)

And know that every day you do this you are winning!
  • nwon87
    nwon87 Posts: 29
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day! Everyone has their slip ups. This is not dieting...it is a LIFESTYLE change. When you look at it like that, it's really not as harsh as the word diet. We are allowed to have sweets (and other food vices) in moderation. I also keep sandwich bags in my fridge with pre-prepared veggies and fruits so I grab a healthier snack instead of going to the junk. What I have found helps me with bloating is drinking lots of water. Best of luck!
  • LukisWatts
    Options
    Read the nutrition info when your about to eat it! Then work out how much exercise that will take to burn off! Turns me off my favourite cookie time treats everytime
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Don't even wait until tomorrow... this journey is all about a lifestyle change. It doesn't happen over night; it takes constant work and knowing what you are putting into your body. Any 'slip up'; no matter how big or small... really isn't a big deal if you keep at it. So you had a sweets bunge... big deal. Just keep that in mind when you have supper and try to have something more heathful and maybe with less calories. You can have anything in moderation... just don't let it keep being "tomorrow I will start over and try again"... I did that myself for too long. It is always easy to say "I'll try again tomorrow" and have that keep leading into endless tomorrows. Don't start over; just keep going! :)
  • Justadream235
    Options
    Best thing to do is just ignore that happened and start over. Tommorrow. Prepare yourself for a good day plan what you`re going to eat n move on and try exersizing it helps because it takes so much effort you don`t want to ruin it w a piece of cake lol. So just get back on it.. happens! Good luck :)
  • heidibannister
    heidibannister Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    forget it move on, we all do it, some days you just have to let go other days you can be strong. The less you have the less you want until you get so used to healthy food that sweets actually aren't nice any more!!

Try not to get hungry, pick on sticks of vegetables, or things like sugar snap peas which are crunchy and sweet.

also drink loads of water or herb tea, it really does fill you up
  • MrsCassieThreatt
    MrsCassieThreatt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if your man is that concerned about his own sugar cravings you have about zero support and I would clean house. Eating a healthy lifestyle takes a village. If you are surrounded by crap every day then you will eat it. Just sayin...Get it out and keep it out. Having will power is great when you have nothing in the house to tempt you. It's bad enough to be around office stuff or out and about and avoid fast food but you shouldn't have to come home to a field of land mines either.

If he wants cake and cookies I'd tell him there is a grocery store down the street and he doesn't need them anyhow. I have several children and a husband that has to be physically fit for his job...we don't live like that. It's setting yourself up for failure....it's hard enough so don't do that to yourself.

Just sayin...
  • RitaKay46
    RitaKay46 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine decided to take all the "goodies" her husband was buying and putting them in the trunk of her car. It worked for them!
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm a total sugar addict. Honestly. I can't moderate sugar. If I have one cookie, I will crave more cookies. Even simple carbs like white bread or pasta increase my cravings and overall hunger.

So... if this sounds like you, I'd recommend you go cold turkey like I did. Eliminate ALL sugar from your diet. You don't need it! Switch to "complex" carbs like whole wheat bread. Add some protein to feed your muscles. You'll feel terrible for a couple of days - I had headaches and felt queasy - but then you'll feel great. All my cravings for sugar basically disappeared inside of a week.

On the program I'm doing, I allow myself a "free day" once a week (or every two weeks) where I just eat whatever I want including sugar. By the end of the day I feel so disgusting that I can't wait to get back on track. So it helps motivate me and also helps me not feel "deprived".

Now that I'm 4 months into this, I occasionally allow myself a sugary treat in the evening with the understanding that 1) I will log it and 2) I won't eat any more. This works since I go to bed before I can go back for seconds. But that's just an occasional thing, definitely not an every day thing.

Obviously it would be nice if your husband was more supportive but this is your journey, not his. You have to do this for yourself, independent of what he does. If you drop a bunch of weight and get in great shape, you'll undoubtedly inspire him to do the same. That's what my wife did for me!

Good luck!
  • lyndsaytaec
    Options
    Just cut it off. For both your weight loss and your husband's health. Just because he don't need to loose weight doesn't mean that eating cakes and cookies won't harm his health. Cut it off your shop list, it's the easiest way.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    you can't change the past. none of us can. Life is about what we decide today and how we move forward.

You CAN do this!!!!!
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you have only 3 friends on here. Request friends! You will find stregth in numbers! They will offer the encouragement you need and may offer the kick in the tush when required. Sodium is one of my issues and I have one friend who refers to me as his "Pillar of Salt" friend. This isn't easy but is achievable. Look for those with similar issues. Read the bio's and you will find ways to identify and connect. Make these healthy relationships to build you up not tear you down. You may add me if you'd like.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to be a little different and I have three kids at home who think if there are no sweets in the house, we are broke. lol so, I keep the sweets around and just watch that they don't overdo it. I think it's (for me) a challenge NOT to eat them. Once I started losing the weight last year and bringing home grapes, watermelon, oranges, apples along with the regular sweets, it was amazing to see how much they were starting to eat the fruit and not as much as the normal sweets.
  • nwon87
    nwon87 Posts: 29
    Options
    Honestly, if your man is that concerned about his own sugar cravings you have about zero support and I would clean house. Eating a healthy lifestyle takes a village. If you are surrounded by crap every day then you will eat it. Just sayin...Get it out and keep it out. Having will power is great when you have nothing in the house to tempt you. It's bad enough to be around office stuff or out and about and avoid fast food but you shouldn't have to come home to a field of land mines either.

If he wants cake and cookies I'd tell him there is a grocery store down the street and he doesn't need them anyhow. I have several children and a husband that has to be physically fit for his job...we don't live like that. It's setting yourself up for failure....it's hard enough so don't do that to yourself.

Just sayin...

I agree! I have two kids, and I rarely keep junk in the house. They live. I keep little chocolates, like Hershey kisses, in my freezer, and when I crave chocolate, I get one out and let it melt in my mouth. It lasts longer that way, so you tend to eat less (at least I do).
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Take note of that bloated, sick feeling. Log every crappy feeling (both mental and physical) you are having in a journal, and then keep it in your kitchen and read it the next time you want to put something like that in your mouth. The immediate payoff is SO not worth the aftermath, but it is easy to forget when you are hungry, stressed and tired, and the foods you love are sitting there taunting you.

The only way I can stay away from carbs and sugar is to DT from them, which means that I hardly eat any at all. The minute I stray from this approach, it becomes a snowball effect. It takes a day or so to get it out of my system, but when I am doing it, it works.

I have been trying to "cycle" carbs for quite a while, but I have not really made it long enough to get into and stick with a pattern. I think that I finally have my head in the game, but I have to keep reminding myself how I feel when my pants are too tight, when I go to bed on a full stomach, when I look in the mirror and hate what I see.....it is a process I am actively involved in but have yet to perfect. The only way to get there is to keep on truckin'.
  • Demolady50
    Options
    We are in the same situation....I'm. On a diet, hubby not....so he has his "junk". Safely hidden out of site....if not..in the trash it goes.. It has worked for us....he has learned to hide his goodies so I won't be grabbing them. (He doesn't want to share anyway) lol