Eating late at Night

Options
Hello! Does anyone else eat late at night, mainly eating dinner close to bed time? I find myself eating my largest meal of the day within 30-45 minutes of going to bed. I have tried to adjust my schedule, but between getting my son to bed, going to the gym, work and having no appetite earlier, I haven't had much success. I am concerned that all of that food is just sitting in my digestive system all night.

Im open to any suggestions or tips. Thanks!

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you are consistent and within your numbers.
  • Rg2324
    Rg2324 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    True, it doesn't matter when you eat. I try to conserve at least 100 calories to eat at night, since I am up late working, have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and need to eat protein about every 3-4 hours.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you are consistent and within your numbers.

^ That.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I am concerned that all of that food is just sitting in my digestive system all night.

It's not, you digest food at night.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter WHEN you eat but for me, I find that if I eat before I go to bed or super late, I wake up feeling sick and have horrible stomach pangs. I feel for me it's a glucose issue though..
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options

^agreed

Also I sleep better on a full stomach.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

^ That.

Agreed.

I regularly (and I mean, probably 4 nights a week?) eat my dinner around 8-9pm and THEN have a couple hundred calories worth of snacks around 10-11pm.

Hasn't been a problem.

Your digestive system doesn't shut down at night. Eat when you want :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hello! Does anyone else eat late at night, mainly eating dinner close to bed time? I find myself eating my largest meal of the day within 30-45 minutes of going to bed.

That's pretty much what I've been doing for many years. I got fat doing that. Of course, that's because I was eating a calorie surplus. As soon as I got off my lazy bum and started exercising some of those calories off, I lost weight while doing it.

Eat to fit your schedule and focus a calorie deficit. That's all that's necessary.
  • asmithstl
    Options
    Thanks everyone... several people have told me not to eat at least 3-4 hours prior to going to sleep. This makes me feel much better!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... several people have told me not to eat at least 3-4 hours prior to going to sleep. This makes me feel much better!

Probably a good idea not to listen to those people. =)
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    for someone who doesnt track calories or macros i would suggest not eating late at night because that is when most people just over eat.. however if you use MFP and keep track of ur food it doesnt matter when or what you eat as long as u can fit it into ur numbers.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I agree with those that say look at your calorie intake as a whole. "experts" want you to think you HAVE to eat a certain way to lose weight, but honestly, do what works for you. It works best for me if I can snack throughout the day and (hopefully) eat lower calorie "big" meals. (My diary does not reflect this the past 3 days, LOL.) But not everyone works that way. Some people do better eating a big, filling breakfast and tiny dinner. I need my meals to be more like 300-400-500 cals and then 100-200 cal snacks between.
  • ReddRidingHood
    ReddRidingHood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was also under the impression to NEVER eat late. I read some trainers article and he said that your metabolism slows down in the evening and to avoid eating past 6. I stuck to that forever...so happy it's wrong.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hello! Does anyone else eat late at night, mainly eating dinner close to bed time? I find myself eating my largest meal of the day within 30-45 minutes of going to bed. I have tried to adjust my schedule, but between getting my son to bed, going to the gym, work and having no appetite earlier, I haven't had much success. I am concerned that all of that food is just sitting in my digestive system all night.

Im open to any suggestions or tips. Thanks!

So make a different meal your largest meal, or split that one into two.