What can a husband cook for dinner?

Options

Replies

• bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I have a cookbook called 6 Ingredients or Less, and it has a lot of really easy and yummy recipes in it. None of it is too terrible dietwise, and some of the ingredients you're not sure about can be subsituted for better ones.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My simple go to meal is chicken breast with a sprinkle of Italian seasoning, a baked sweet potato and frozen mixed veggies - steamed.

My husband used to be a restaurant chef so he is a better cook that I...not as healthy mind you, just yummier.

Oh also, if you like Salmon and spicy make a dry rub with 1 Tbsp chili powder, 1 Tbsp cummin and a little salt & pepper. Rub it over 2 pieces of salmon and pop it in the broiler for about 3-4 minutes on each side. I once promised my husband I could have a healthy dinner on the table in less time than it would take him to drive the 3 miles round trip to Burger King. I make a nice corn salsa the night before to go with it. Add this to a microwaved sweet potato and some steamed green beans or other veggie and a glass of wine!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Chicken tacos and to make it even easier, I will pick up a rotisserie chicken and use that. Just have the other fixins' and you are all set. I will also use plain yogurt and mix with chilis or adobe sauce for some extra spice. Quick and easy and yummy.
  • dadeys1
    dadeys1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Try these. We love them and each one is only 409 calories.

Buffalo Chicken Wraps
    Ingredients
    Schwan's - Diced Grilled Chicken Breast, 1 container (21 oz ea.)
    Weight Watchers - Mexican Style Blend Reduced Fat Cheese, 1.665 cup
    Wishbone - Fat Free Blue Cheese Salad Dressing, 10 tablespoons
    Franks - Red Hot Thick Cayenne Pepper Sauce, 8 Tbsp
    Toufayan Bakeries - Tortilla Wrap Low Carb-Low Fat, 1 container (5 wraps ea.)
    Celery - Raw, 1 cup chopped

Dice chicken, cook in non-stick pan, season to taste. Mix hot sauce and blue cheese dressing then add to chicken, simmer 5 minutes. Serve on torilla with cheese, celery and lettuce (if desired).

Tota Calories: 2044 Calories Per Serving: 409 each tortilla
  • JodieLBradbury
    JodieLBradbury Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The same as a wife can cook for dinner?
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Is this a trick question?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Could it be breakfast at night, like scrambled eggs and toast? What about leftovers? Or frozen foods like frozen pizza that he only has to toast or nuke.

Does he really want to cook? Maybe he wants to go to the grocery store and see what looks good, or maybe he wants to watch some cooking shows and see what looks easy or fun to make.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    What about making something in a crock pot? Then all he would have to do is keep an eye on it and stir it once in a while.
    My favorite chicken recipe. You can use it in tacos, burritos, salad, alone, or whatever. Even an idiot could make this.

Costa Vida Chicken

* 1 (16 oz.) bottle zesty Italian dressing (any brand will do, really)
    * 1 Tbsp chili powder
    * 1 Tbsp cumin
    * 3 cloves garlic, minced
    * 5 skinless, boneless chicken breast

Cook all together in a crock pot on low for 4 hours, shred meat and cook 1 additional hour. This recipe makes a lot, so you can freeze the leftovers for another meal.

This is my favorite slow cooker recipe. Easy and tasty. Also, this beats the chicken-and-a-jar-of-salsa recipe hands down.
  • ton40orbust
    Options
    Little Caesars

^^^ Thats the extent of my fathers ability to cook.

Hawiian Chicken (crock pot)
    Chicken Breasts (or leg quarters would probably work)
    20oz can of Pineapple Chunks in juice
    1 bottle hawiian style bbq sauce (or carribian jerk marinade)

Tacos?
    Nachos?

Kraft Veggie Pasta Mac and Cheese?

Try going on pinterest look at the food section and read anything that has less then 5 ingrediants or looks simple.
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Seriously, tell him to man up and read a cookbook. I do most of the cooking at our house, so I know men can cook. Not sure if he is not working at all or just on Fridays, but if is not working and you are, then he should always make dinner.
  • LBash03
    LBash03 Posts: 72
    Options
    Most guys really enjoy grilling. My husband loves to grill chicken. We have grilled chicken sandwiches, you can have a grilled chicken salad. Or he can grill turkey burgers, or anything really. Meals don't have to be complicated. One of our go to meals is grilled chicken, rice and a veggie such as canned corn or green beans. Very simple.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    The same as a wife can cook for dinner?

That's what I thought.

Now, what can HER husband cook is an entirely different question...
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    What shouldn't a husband cook for dinner*

IMO a mans not fully a man unless:
    A) he can cook for his mate and
    B) heDoes squats
  • aleyjewell
    aleyjewell Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses!! He just had fridays off and not much experiance in the kitchen. He could do tacos but I just don't see him reading a recipe for much.

The grill will be great this summer though.

I might just bust out the crockpot!!
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    What about making something in a crock pot? Then all he would have to do is keep an eye on it and stir it once in a while.

THIS 100%
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    Bad news for you....he already KNOWS how to cook, he just doesn't WANT to cook.

Moms always teach their sons how to be self-sufficient.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    The publishers of Men's Health Magazine also publish a series of cookbooks titled "A Man, A Can, A ______" (the last part is what changes between the books). They're health-oriented recipes and they're simple. You don't need a dictionary to figure out what to do. If he's a messy amateur, they're made of the same hard board that publishers use for the books little kids love to chew / drool on, so spill cleanup is easy.

They're also written in a more entertaining way. Not many other cookbooks will tell you to "dump contents into bowl" or "pour in 1/2 of the beer... consume the remaining half".
  • Alford96
    Options
    You can grill just about anything if he likes to cook with fire. My husband will go to the store and load up on veggies, portabella caps, and whatever meat we want and with a little EVOO and salt/pepper/herbs, he cooks dinner. All I usually have to make is a starch to go with (rice/potatoes/noodles, whatever). Also beans in the crockpot are SOO easy. Put a pound of beans, meat of choice (ham chunks, sausage, whatever), an envelope of onion soup mix and water to about an inch or so covering (depending on how juicy you want them) -put on Hi 8 hours and serve or rice or cornbread. Easy Peasy!! Frankly, when my husband cooks, I just watch my portion sizes ('cause he LOADS up on the butter), smile, say "Thank you SO much Honey! It was delicious" and enjoy not cooking myself. *sigh* I miss him being off on Fridays, laundry done, dinner ready...oh well, another thread I guess. :flowerforyou:
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd let him make what he wanted and just watch my portions when I ate it. Otherwise, it sounds kind of....insulting.
  • kimheiman
    kimheiman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bad news for you....he already KNOWS how to cook, he just doesn't WANT to cook.

Moms always teach their sons how to be self-sufficient.
    Th