P90X Recovery Drink?

kylielouttit
kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Is the website the only place to buy their products? I looked in GNC and they don't carry it. Is there a recovery drink that is comparable to it?

Replies

• I went to GNC also and they didnt sell it; but one of tha sales associate that did P90x told me about a recovery drink called xtend. you can order it off line and bodybuilders.com and its on sale or 19.95 right now. Hope this helps
  • aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    Therefore, by consuming a large amount of carbohydrates, you will promote a large insulin release, increase glycogen storage, and increase protein repair. Research has shown that a carbohydrate intake of 0.8 to 1.2 grams per 1 kilogram of body weight maximizes glycogen synthesis and accelerates protein repair. However, unless you've had a very long, intense workout, 1.2g/kg may be a bit excessive as excess carbohydrate can be converted to bodyfat.

Therefore I recommend 0.8g of carbohydrate per 1 kilogram of body weight for speeding up muscle carbohydrate replenishment while preventing excess fat gain (van Loon et al 2000a).

In addition, since muscle protein is degraded during exercise, the addition of a relatively large amount of protein to your post exercise meal is necessary to help rebuild the structural aspects of the muscle. After exercise, the body decreases its rate of protein synthesis and increases its rate of protein breakdown. However, the provision of protein and amino acid solutions has been shown to reverse this trend, increasing protein synthesis and decreasing protein breakdown.

Researchers have used anywhere from 0.2g - 0.4g of protein per 1 kilogram of body weight to demonstrate the effectiveness of adding protein to a post-workout carbohydrate drink (van Loon et al 2000b, Roy et al 1998). As an increased consumption of the essential amino acids may lead to a more positive protein balance, 0.4g/kg may be better than 0.2g/kg.

Taken from http://bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi4.htm That is the quickest and easiest article and it coincides with other research I have done on that topic. If you go to Google Scholar and type in "post exercise nutrition" or similar phrases you will get lots of good information. You don't have to buy their snake oil unless you like the company and want to support it. I like 8oz of chocolate milk and a scoop of coffee flavored protein powder immediately after every run/ workout followed by a balanced meal less than 60mins later.
  • Karna6e
    Karna6e Posts: 57
    I use Endurox which is sold at GNC and believe it's comparable. It uses the same 4:1 carb to protein ratio.
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Low-fat chocolate milk has approximately the same ratio, is cheaper, easier to get, and is less of a hassle.
  • scweegie
    scweegie Posts: 59
    I have also heard skim chocolate milk is a good alternative. I would love to hear someone's opinion on this, someone who knows about the correct amounts of protein and carbs after a workout.
  • Karna6e
    Karna6e Posts: 57
    Guess I better start drinking chocolate milk instead:

"In the study, nine male cyclists rode until their muscles were depleted of energy, then rested four hours and biked again until exhaustion. During the rest period, the cyclists drank low-fat chocolate milk, Gatorade, or Endurox R4. During a second round of exercise, the cyclists who drank the chocolate milk were able to bike about 50% longer than those who drank Endurox, and about as long as those who drank the Gatorade. "
  • ShottaB
    ShottaB Posts: 29
    Would the below combination work as a post recovery drink as well?

Ovaltine double serving: 36g carbohydrate
    Whey half serving: 12.5g protein
    Water 8 ounces

I'm trying to avoid drinking milk
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    I drink ABB (american body builders) Blue Thunder recovery drink in fruit punch....It is yummy! I work out harder just to be able to drink it! LOL!
This discussion has been closed.