What can a husband cook for dinner?

Options

Replies

• y0mbo
    y0mbo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Have him cook with you from now on during the week. Thats what I started doing with my husband. He's now cooking at home. Tonight, we're having baked chicken, mashed potatoes and his signature glazed carrots haha He's been making supper more and more, and it's great!! He likes to make spaghetti and meatballs. Most of the time, he'll either call or text for help, and I have no problem with that!

^ This. Its how I got confident enough to break away from Hamburger Helper.
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Taco Soup (better to do w/ fresh ingredients but for a quick hubby meal he can use canned): 1 lb ground meat; 1 pack ranch dressing mix; 1 pack taco seasoning; 1 can rotel; 1 13oz can tomato sauce or tomatoes (my kids don't like chunks so I use the sauce); 2 cans water or to your own taste whether you like it thicker; 1 can pinto beans; 1 can black or other beans; 1 can kernel corn (optional); cook meat until browned with minced onions and garlic to taste; add other ingredients; bring to boil for 5 minutes; it's ready!!! can serve with chips, sour cream or greek yogurt, and/or shredded cheese if you want or leave those out to save on the calories... My kids LOVE this!!!
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    FAJITAS!
    You can cook up chicken (or steak) in small pieces the day before and refrigerate. The leave him a tupperware in the fridge with all the raw onions, bell peppers, mushrooms and zucchini already cut up. Friday night, have him throw the meat and veggies in a saute pan to heat the meat and cook the veggies. Add in a little bit of spices (your own, or taco mix) and have the tortillas and shredded cheese out when you get home. Easy! It's all in one pan- it's already chopped up-- he's just heating. Easy!
  • sassycupcakecutie
    Options
    Wow all of that sounds yummy. I was going to suggest the crock pot as well and frozen steamer veggie bags.
  • grammysboy
    grammysboy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Beans - Black, 1 can
    Tomatoes - 1 can
    Ro Tel - 1 can
    Beans - 1 can
    Corn - 1 can
    Hominy - 1 can
    Tomatoes - Red (Diced), 1 can
    Old El Passo - Taco Seasoning, 1 pachage
    Condiment - Hidden Valley - Ranch Seasoning Mix Dry, 1 package
    Beef - Ground, 85% lean meat / 15% fat, crumbles, cooked, pan-browned (hamburger), 1 pound

In a 5qt pan, brown the hamburger and drain. Drain the liquid from the beans, corn and hominy. Add all canned ingredients and heat until hot. It's quick, easy and only 360 calories per cup. Lots of good stuff in there!

When I was a young man, I learned I could put a can of almost any kind of "Chunky" soup on a pound of hamburger and make a big meal. It's very high in sodium and the calories won't be great, but it's quick and easy and goooood!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have always struggled with Fridays. I work and my husband doesn't. So he is sweet and likes to cook dinner for me. The only problem is its like hamburger helper or burgers.

I am looking for some easy ideas for him to cook or something I can prepare Thursday since I don't work and he could heat it up.

Any ideas?

I make things up in advance that he can pop in the oven. (casseroles and such)
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    What about making something in a crock pot? Then all he would have to do is keep an eye on it and stir it once in a while.

^^^^This^^^
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Bad news for you....he already KNOWS how to cook, he just doesn't WANT to cook.

Moms always teach their sons how to be self-sufficient.

I wish that were true. When I first met my husband, he was eating things out of can. Just eww.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Tell him to suck less and learn to make real meals. Last time I checked, having external genitals didn't prevent someone from learning how to cook.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Anything and everything....I am the only one that cooks in our house.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Sketti. Boil noodles, brown beef, throw it all together with sauce. Voila. Or tacos. Brown meat with seasonings, throw on tortillas with a little cheese.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Crock-Pot Lasagna!!! We use ground turkey instead.. http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/slow-cooker-lasagna-114123.aspx
  • ebazz2334
    Options
    Baked Haddock with Crushed Ritz Cracker topping, Mashed Potatoes, String Beans, and Salad.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    We've got stuff going on tonight so I'm opting for easy and quick....kids love it when I call pasta buffet. I just cook up a pot of pasta (whatever kind I want) and give them each a plate. Each person gets to top it with whatever they like. I am out of my whole wheat pasta or I'd do that just to say I got some fiber in to comp for the carbs but sometimes easy just trumps all else. And since I get to pick how much pasta to use on my plate and what to put on top I can totally control the calories and keep in my daily allowance. If your husband can boil pasta decently, this could be a good option. I've already worked out my toppings and it all fits in under my calorie limit, so I'm all good with that.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    My wife used to refuse to cook healthier choices, so I started simply refusing to eat what she cooked. Let him put in all that "effort" making hamburger helper, and just enjoy the hurt look on his face when he serves it up, all nice and proud, and you say "I'm not eating that ****." Sure there were some tears and the ol' "you don't appreciate what I do", but she got the point when I said "you;re right, I don't appreciate you cooking ****."

So, long story short, I do all the cooking now. And I'm 10X the cook she ever was.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    What can a husband cook for dinner?

Anything a wife can?
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have always struggled with Fridays. I work and my husband doesn't. So he is sweet and likes to cook dinner for me. The only problem is its like hamburger helper or burgers.

I am looking for some easy ideas for him to cook or something I can prepare Thursday since I don't work and he could heat it up.

Any ideas?

I think rather than looking for just simple easy things. Encourage him to learn to cook and be creative and show that you beleive in his abilities. Cook together sometimes and I am sure he will be fine. I have been cooking since I was a teenager. Both our son (5) and our daughter (9) are able to help prepare things. I require it. :)
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    My wife used to refuse to cook healthier choices, so I started simply refusing to eat what she cooked. Let him put in all that "effort" making hamburger helper, and just enjoy the hurt look on his face when he serves it up, all nice and proud, and you say "I'm not eating that ****." Sure there were some tears and the ol' "you don't appreciate what I do", but she got the point when I said "you;re right, I don't appreciate you cooking ****."

So, long story short, I do all the cooking now. And I'm 10X the cook she ever was.

Who got custody of the kids?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Who got custody of the kids?

The State.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    I think rather than looking for just simple easy things. Encourage him to learn to cook and be creative and show that you beleive in his abilities. Cook together sometimes and I am sure he will be fine. I have been cooking since I was a teenager. Both our son (5) and our daughter (9) are able to help prepare things. I require it. :)

^^^ This. Assuming he can follow simple instructions, he can follow a recipe. Unless you are creating completely unique dishes from scratch, there are only a few basic skills needed to create good food from recipes. All of which can be learned on the internet.