1st race is tomorrow!!! Help

Options
So tomorrow is my first race. I have been running since January and know I can finish it. My issue is that I don't know what to do with this bib number thing.
1.Where does it go?
2. What about the orange tag that is the timing chip- it has directions but do I just peel the whole thing off and wrap it on my shoe string
3.What about the bottom portion of the bib that seems perforated and has a big whole but says do not pin? It has my name, info, and number on it...what is that for- identification if I pass out running?

I know my nerves of the unknown are getting to me but I hate not knowing the routine and don;t want to look completely stupid when I show up there.

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Bib number: goes on the front of your shirt (I pin mine low on my stomach area).

Timing Chip: Yes, just make sure the orange tag is somehow attached to your shoe laces. This type of timing chip is RFID so it will scan you when you pass by a reader.

Bottom of bib: the couple of races I have done have not used this portion of the bib for anything. But I usually wait until the morning of the race to see what everyone else has done. If they took it off, so did I.

Good Luck! You're going to do great! :flowerforyou:
  • mhesterruns
    Options
    Thanks! It sounds silly but I am a planner and knowing these things will help me feel at ease and then run a little faster. My goal is to run not walk in 50 minutes or less. No one I know is a runner here so it is good to have a community to turn to.
  • shorthand73
    shorthand73 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this whole "racing" thing, too. My first race of this year was today! I agree, not knowing the routine of things can be a little intimidating, but there will only be one "first time". :-) A small group of us have decided to run 10 races in 2010, so we ought to be pros by the end of the summer! :-) What are you running? 5k? 10k? Best of luck -- you'll do great!!! Let us know how it goes!
  • Fry24
    Fry24 Posts: 21
    Options
    Fold the perforated portion of the bib under, if you don't want anyone to read it. But leave it attached in case someone official needs it.

I tied the timer to the base of the laces- so it wouldn't interfere with tying or retying.

Good luck!
  • SilviaGG
    SilviaGG Posts: 19
    Options
    Congrats!!! what race are you running??? I quit running because of a surgery but now I am walking again. I will try to run a marathon in December.... for sure, you will be fine.... enjoy your race.... have a good time.
    Silvia
  • mhesterruns
    Options
    I am running the Live Earht 6K in Washington DC at teh National Harbor. It is to raise money for water in countries where they walk 6K=3.72 miles for fresh clean water. A good cause but also was a good deadline for me to have as my goal. Although I am wishing I would ahve done a 5K that extra .72 is alot! I have run it 3 times so I know I can finish without walking.