Cheat Day

Options
Does anyone here do a cheat day? What are the pitfalls and benefits you have experienced? Do you bank calories to save up for it or just let it all hang out? Has it helped or hurt your motivation?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Lots of people here binge eat
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Are you asking because you're hungry?

Just keep within your goals 90%-95% of the time, exercise on a regular basis, and don't worry so much about it.

It's simple really, eat at a calorie deficit, exercise, and just wait for the results because they will happen. If you go over every now and again...no big deal. And it doesn't hurt to take a short break from logging from time to time.
  • VTSarah07
    Options
    I, personally, allow myself one cheat meal a week and I limit myself to drinking only once a week. I try to schedule these meals/drinks on either Friday or Saturday because I weigh in on Friday mornings so it gives me a full week to work off the extra calories.
    I do this because I believe it helps me stay on track throughout the week. It is easier for me to stick to healthier food options if I know in a few days I get to splurge a little. If you told me I could never have mashed potatoes again, I'd probably cry. Not really, but I would definitley not make it to my goal. It gives me a little motivation to make it to that cheat meal, whether its wings and beer while watching football with my fiance or a pizza because I just dont have time to cook, its a nice little treat. I also believe it helps me keep my cravings in check.
    I will continue to do this up until about 2 months out from my wedding in August.
    **Please note I DID NOT say "Cheat Day" and also, by meal, I mean one meal that I have a craving for, not eat a whole chocolate cake just because I'm cheating. Be smart about it, you still will have to work off those extra calories during the week to stay on track.**
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Lots of people here binge eat

I see what you did there. :laugh: Nice touch.

I have a free day every week. (How we name things affects what we do, so I call it a "free" day, not a cheat day). If I know there is an event coming up that does not land on my free day, I just switch the day around.

I go over count every week, usually by a few hundred calories. Sometimes by several. Reasonable breakfast, lunch, stay out of the soda, and continue to drink water with meals. I log everything, no matter how high the total gets. Sometimes I wind up not eating anything unhealthy at all. Sometimes I wind up eating McDonald's at lunch and a cheese dripping dish at Chili's a few hours later. It depends.

My calorie goal is set fairly low (1400) so that one day really helps keep me sane. Other people have found it just triggers them into eating more. You'll probably have to experiment and see what works for you. One gal on here just quick logs 3,000 calories on her free day - and she's lost tons of weight.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think it's bad to deliberately do this, as the idea is to change your mindset about food, not just act like you're being "deprived" for 6 days out of the week and "normal" on the 7th.

I'm against cheat days, but "for" occasionally eating something less-good for you, IN MODERATION, especially in social occasions. Moderation is the key!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here do a cheat day? What are the pitfalls and benefits you have experienced? Do you bank calories to save up for it or just let it all hang out? Has it helped or hurt your motivation?

To me, cheating would be not logging something. I think it's better to just enjoy what you eat every day. So far, I haven't had any trouble fitting in desserts and other yummy foods while sticking to my calorie goal and hitting my macros. For me, that makes more sense than starving myself through the week and binge eating on the weekend or whatever. Also for special occasions, I will let myself go a little over my normal calorie goal and stay under my TDEE. (Except for Christmas. I ate over 4 thousand calories on Christmas Day! :bigsmile:)
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty interesting article about planning a cheat day.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/542505-the-art-and-science-of-cheat-meals/
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    In before "I don't cheat, IIFYM brah".
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Are you asking because you're hungry?

Just keep within your goals 90%-95% of the time, exercise on a regular basis, and don't worry so much about it.

It's simple really, eat at a calorie deficit, exercise, and just wait for the results because they will happen. If you go over every now and again...no big deal. And it doesn't hurt to take a short break from logging from time to time.

Of course I'm hungry! Haha. Great points. Personally, i can't do 90-95% during a fat loss phase because I am one of those people who can't have a bag of chips or pint of ice cream in the house or i'll find a way to convince myself to eat it all in one sitting and be better "tomorrow" but tomorrow never comes. Cheat day's or meals have pros and cons but it takes some work to dial it in so you don't overdue it. That's what i'm after here.

Thanks for your reply
  • mattagascar
    Options
    This is a pretty interesting article about planning a cheat day.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/542505-the-art-and-science-of-cheat-meals/

That is a great article thanks for posting!
  • mattagascar
    Options
    **Please note I DID NOT say "Cheat Day" and also, by meal, I mean one meal that I have a craving for, not eat a whole chocolate cake just because I'm cheating. Be smart about it, you still will have to work off those extra calories during the week to stay on track.**

Great point about doing a cheat meal. An entire day could get out of hand quick. One cool thing about cheat meal is that you could be looking forward to pizza all week then cheat day meal comes and you don't have that craving anymore. It would be interesting to see how cravings change in people who do stick to 1 cheat meal per week.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Every week since January 1st 2012...lost 91 lbs
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I dont have cheat meals (except Christmas). I just plan accordingly and do some extra exercise to cover it. For me, complete avoidance or moderation works best. Its too easily for one cheat meal to lead to a cheat day to a cheat week. I know this how? I lost 90 pounds and managed to gain back 76 of it just eating a cheat meal for dinner and weekends off!! My bad.....
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I had a weekly one every week last year and continue to do so; cheat meal however and not a day. Somedays its fits in my tdee somedays it does not. People can call it what they what, analyze it how they see fit blah blah. It works for me and that's all I care about.
  • ritzy04
    Options
    I think it's very healthy to have a cheat day but like all things everything must be in reason. The minute we tell ourselves we can't have something we instantly want it if it's "forbidden" it's that much more appealing. I am a big snacker on the weekends so I try to stay on track all week and stay below my calorie goal so that I'm not so stressed on the weekends if I want to eat something (Doritos). On the flip side if I have worked my butt off all week by staying on track and working out I'm less likely to hit the Dorito bag because then it's a waste of the week in my eyes.
  • Brendajo510
    Options

I typically don't do a cheat day but I might have a "cheat" meal. Towards the beginning of this lifestyle change, I actually had about 2 weeks of perfect dieting that I saw no weight loss. I ended up eating out one evening and decided to order and eat what I wanted. I did and saw weight loss that week. Now, it could be because I sometimes wonder if my goal is set too low by MFP but it seemed to work for me. I don't save up my calories and it seems fine on my motivation.

That being said, I did notice that the increase of sodium can add some water weight the next day or so. I remember one time eating squeeze cheese and crackers which I used to love, now its just waaaaay too much sodium and I felt slightly sick.
  • twistedlefty
    Options
    i actually tried a "cheat" meal last night for dinner.
    i planned to have half a "longboards 619" wrap and a small pasta salad (their pasta salad is incredible imo) but my wife forgot the pasta salad:cry:
    anyway long story short, i ate the entire wrap (1600 calories) and felt like crap the rest of the night and the next morning.
    i know i over did it but i think it will be a positive influence on me for the rest of my journey
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I call it a cheat day. When my parents use to diet thats what they have called it. But I get why people dont like calling it that. This is a lifestyle change for me. Wording though, doesnt have much of an effect on me.

I have one or two a week. Usually just one. Unless I get in a crazy workout.