yoga?

Options
so I've been doing yoga 20-30 min daily and was wondering .. am i gonna see any results from this? or am I just wasting my time?

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Hi - that depends on:

what your goals are;
    what effort you are putting in, and;
    how well you are aligning to each pose - ideally with a well trained teacher.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It depends on what results you are looking for.

Doing that will improve your flexibility, calmness and feeling of well being (if it has that kind of effect on you, it does for me).

As far as exercise it is better than nothing, but probably not enough for major fitness results.
  • Meghunn
    Meghunn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that Yoga doesn't help you lose weight and you might actually gain weight. Only because you think you are burning a lot of calories but you really aren't so you up your calorie intake etc. But it will help with flexibility!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    It depends on what results you are looking for.

Doing that will improve your flexibility, calmness and feeling of well being (if it has that kind of effect on you, it does for me).

As far as exercise it is better than nothing, but probably not enough for major fitness results.

I agree with this. I do a yoga workout once a week, it has greatly improved my flexibility, which helps with my cardio and strength workouts
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Yoga has been shown to have the combined benefits of cardio, strength and meditation. However, at 20-30 minutes a day, the results are going to be slow and you will need the patience that meditation should bring.

If you choose to do "yoga for weight loss" style (aka yoga on speed), you will get excellent cardio benefits, but limited strength and mind, because you don't hold the poses.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've been doing yoga for about a month, and noticed that it has helped with my stability and flexibility. I could not do a plank before I started, and can now easily do one for 90 seconds with straightened arms and side ones as well, and helps to calm me down on a hectic day, but I wouldn't go as far to say it will do anything drastic physically for your body, will need to hit the weights and maybe cardio for that.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    yoga really doesn't burn a lot. If you're looking for awesome results, you may want to add some sort of cardio like running or biking in. Yoga alone won't change much other than flexibility as others have said.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that Yoga doesn't help you lose weight and you might actually gain weight. Only because you think you are burning a lot of calories but you really aren't so you up your calorie intake etc. But it will help with flexibility!

Yoga won't cause weight gain.

And it can be great for fitness, but not if it's just 20-30 minutes of a DVD.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I think of yoga as giving myself a massage...not a work out.

But i honestly think there are some types of yoga that are exercise.

Like, if you can do this with ease, you probably can kick my butt:

l_FI0507WWFAL006.jpg

but if you are just doing sun salute or something like that, you aren't burning a lot of calories. Its definitely a good practice to put you into awareness of your body, it's good for flexibility, it's good for mental health....but it won't make you skinny in and of itself.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Depends, what are you looking for? If it's just general weight loss, yoga isn't really a big calorie burner. I do it on a rest day to improve flexibility and mobility for sports type stuff. But if you're just trying to lose weight try something with more of a burn.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yoga is as tough as any workout out there, however I am not sure it will show the results you are looking for. It's more of an internal results type workout
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great.

I do a bit of Bikram once every two weeks or so.

However if your goal is fat loss or body recomposition it's not the most effective exercise choice.
  • earpies37
    Options
    it depends on what style of yoga you choose.

a style like vinyasa is faster moving and definitely gives you a cardio workout if its a good class. i wholeheartedly recommend CorePower Yoga if there is one near you, they have a variety of class types ranging from hatha/vinyasa fusion(slower moving, holding poses for longer), to a heated and unheated vinyasa class as well as sculpt(vinyasa with weights and an extra emphasis on cardio).
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's not a big calorie burner. But it's great for stretching, improving balance, strength, stress relief, etc.
  • ShannonChris78
    ShannonChris78 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yoga is an excellent exercise for flexibility, focus, and long lean toned muscles. I incorporate yoga with all the cardio I do. It is fantastic to stretch and bring oxygen to the muscles that you workout so hard. It's great to do with running especially. You will not ,however get a very high calorie burn at all with say hatha yoga or regular yoga. There are many different types of yoga though, and beleive it or not, some come with very high calorie burn. There is such thing as hot yoga that you do in a room that is very very warm. You produce more sweat and burn more calories. I don't think you are wasting your time at all. I've only been doing yoga for a year, but I will never stop. Research online at all the different types. You'd be suprised at what you find.

Peace & Health

Shannon