couch to 5K program

Options
I have been hearing about this couch to 5K program, where you are trained to jog for long distances or time. Has anybody done the program, or is currently doing it? I was curious if it has been successfull because I think im going to start it tomorrow. Any feedback would be great!
Thanks!
~Cassie

Replies

• dollparts
    Options
    I'd like to know as well because I plan on doing this!
  • letsgetit
    letsgetit Posts: 33
    Options
    they're actually alot of people on the forum doing this... sometimes they abbreviate with C25K if that helps with your search! :happy:
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    A lot of people do this and are very successful. It is a program for people who are not runners but would like to start. Check out the website: http://www.c25k.com/

Ashley
  • Sillybunni
    Sillybunni Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I tried it and fell off the wagon due to my own laziness. There is also a facebook group for C25K and they post lots of success stories and articles too. I hope to try it again soon.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Just started this week. I downloaded the iPhone app and it makes it super easy--tells you when to run and when to walk so you aren't constantly checking your watch. 1st week you run 1 min and walk 90 seconds and alternate for 30 mins. I am excited to become a real runner after many failed attempts :)
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    As fate would have it, I am considering running a 5k as a goal in the fall and was looking at it just last week. I looked at the transition workout plan on the website some others mention here, and I don't know about you but that seems a bit aggressive for someone who is literally going from the couch (or at least exercising but not running).

I found this website and like this workout plan. It takes you to the place where you can run roughly 2 miles, and then there is another to get you from that tier to a 5k.

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/beginning-runner-program.html
  • ldarter
    ldarter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Not doing the couch to 5K but I am doing a similar 8-week progressive run/walk program that is on the Runner's World website. I am doing great with it and am starting the fifth week on Monday so I know that the run/walk thing does work. I have lost an additional 1 to 1.5 Lbs. a week from the extra calories burned from exercise over weight lost from eating less. I tried couch to 5K a year or so ago and didn't do well with it. There were too many rest days and for me it made it hard for me to stay focused and committed. The Runner's World program is a 6 day a week program with only one rest day that alterates run/walking and just walking every other day. I have done lots better with it and haven't missed a day's workout since starting it.