Gonna Ruffle Some Feathers...

Options
I keep seeing all these posts about people who are upset at the scale because the numbers aren't going down fast enough. I can't tell you how many I've seen since I've been on MFP. I also see lots of posts about people complaining that they have to eat healthy and ask when are they going to be able to eat fries and fast foods again. These posts really get under my skin for some reason and today, they have made me down right mad...

If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you've gotta change your lifestyle. You didn't put your weight on overnight and it certainly isn't going to come off overnight. Every single health/fitness expert will tell you that there's no easy way out. It takes work and you have to be determined. You can't spend your days thinking about the foods you can't have. You have to remember the foods you can have and learn to let go of the number on the scale if it's discouraging you.

Be patient and realistic because it takes time. Instead of looking back on this year and regretting the decisions you made, look back on this year and be proud that you stuck with it even when the light at the end of the tunnel seemed dim. Getting healthy and taking care of yourself should be a positive experience. Life's to short to see the negatives. Either you want it or you don't. Nobody but you can make you do it.

Okay so I'll step off my soap box now...

Replies

• rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Agree. But if someone wants fries and a burger....have it, just work it into your daily Cals. Don't deprive yourself, but on the same note, make good choices 90% of the time.
    Weight loss is just as much mental as it is physical. If you aren't committed to the process you won't have as much success as someone who is. This is a big change and you have to be ready for it. You have to be ready to leave your old lifestyle behind and adopt a new one. Until you are ready the process will feel constricting, but once you are ready the process is enlightening and freeing.

I say this all from personal experience. I have been there, I have half a$$edly counted cals....and I felt like a slave to the process....I wasn't ready. I hadn't hit my breaking point. I hadn't hit my point of disgust....I can honestly say that I have now hit that point, I am committed, and it is freeing. Now logging my calories is empowering, I finally have found the balance of freedom and control!
  • VeronicaAM
    Options
    Understand you point and is a bit funny , I eat clean most of the time only eat good healthy stuff and I love to cook , my big problem is portions I do workout five to six time a week and I still think about baking good apple pie and eat it with a cup of coffe specially in rainy afternoons :) ,
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I agree. With that being said I don't deny myself what I want to eat if I REALLY want it and it fits in my calorie goals for the day. What has happened to me in the past 11 months though is that I don't want the junk as much anymore. I actually like my healthy swaps. I still eat buffalo wings or birthday cake every once in a while and my stomach hates me for it afterwards and more often than not I'll just eat something better.

I'm in this for the long haul. I don't ever want to go back to my former weight. It does take work every day to make that happen though. You're right about that. :-)
  • KaydaRN
    KaydaRN Posts: 48
    Options
    Anyone who wants fries and a burger or any junk food should watch Hungry for Change... It will at least help you understand why you have the cravings and why it is so important to change the way you eat. The food it's self sets you up for failure. Nutrition poor calories are well spent calories at all.
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    I agree that you should be able to treat yourself to a "bad" meal from time to time. My trainer gave us one meal a week that we could eat bad within reason. His theory is that if you limit it to one meal in one sitting per week you can still lose weight and not feel so deprived. I just hate seeing all these people who say they are going to quit eating right and exercising because the scale isn't going down fast enough or because they can't go forever without eating bad.

I'm as guilty as the next person for eating bad here and there. Especialy when it comes to chocolate or anything with chocolate in it. I just hate seeing people so negative when the new year is just getting off to a start.
  • no1belongs
    Options
    i agree with this. I know that i may not always make the right chioces in food,but i also know i have to live with that. people can have things like a burger and fries just make them healthier like sweet potato fries or veggie burger etc. I hate when people play the oh feel bad for me card.... venting is good to so no worries OP you can be on your soap box lol
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Love this!

Edit: I also eat some "bad" foods. The change is moderation. You have to make changes you can live with, not ones you suffer through.
  • Mrsmartin61
    Options
    Veronica, I hear ya! Its our second day of heavy rain! I want to bake that goody ! Didn't ! But, I did get three magazines yesterday and each had yummy ... Can't wait to try recipes! hey, some were actually healthy!

I've seen this quote and I like it: You have to decide what you want more ... And less of! Food and fear have a common demoninator! Where do you draw the line?

I am senior to most, but I celebrate that we are all women and, yes men too, tackling our weight and health issues and want to make better choices in all areas of our lives.

Bless each of you! celebrate your strengths and keep a smile! :wink:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Oh, they're ruffled alright. This is uncomfortable.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Oh, they're ruffled alright. This is uncomfortable.

I`m ruffled too! wow!

I understand soap box but it is not a dictatorship...what suits one doesn`t suit all x
  • judisea
    judisea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about people complaining about exercise. It does come down to lifestyle, and exercise needs to become part of your routine, and no, you dont have to become "hard core" just consistant and challenge yourself.

My big problem is snacking at night. This has prevented me from losing the 10 lbs I need to get to my goal. I started incorporating a 9pm small meal into my daily plan, and I absolutely close the kitchen to myself at 9!

I have an empty nest, just me and hubby. I had an honest chat with chocolate this week and told him ur threesom was over: no more me, hubby and her in the house! If I am in the mood for chocolate, I have to see her on the side...outside my home.

Will keep you posted!