Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

how does the body adapt?

jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
I've noticed, and this isn't the first time, that my body feels like it's adapting to certain workouts. Not so much that the workout is getting easier, but that it's harder to push myself longer in the workout.

Example... mountain biking for 45 minutes... pretty easy. Going for much more than an hour is brutal. Same with basketball.

Can/does the body adapt like this? Or would you say it's more mental or calorie/nutrition related?

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    I've noticed, and this isn't the first time, that my body feels like it's adapting to certain workouts. Not so much that the workout is getting easier, but that it's harder to push myself longer in the workout.

Example... mountain biking for 45 minutes... pretty easy. Going for much more than an hour is brutal. Same with basketball.

Can/does the body adapt like this? Or would you say it's more mental or calorie/nutrition related?

Assuming your diet and exercise paradigm isn't stupid (which your's isn't), it's likely more mental than anything else.
  • Rtossas
    Rtossas Posts: 29
    I would say a little bit of both mental and body adaptation especially if its something your body is not accustomed to doing on a daily basis. I remember when I began doing suicide drills for football they were initially hard in the beginning, but over time I started saying to myself let's go you can do this and eventually as I continue to drill it became easier so I assume my body adapted over time with a little push from the mind.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    The human body can adapt to anything. That's why you need to cross-train, vary your workouts, change workout days/times, just switch things up every few months
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    I definitely believe it does. Muscle memory is a proven phenomenon and I personally believe (no medical proof) that this is related to adaptation. As the muscles get used to doing a certain task, they get trained to do it in the most efficient way possible. I agree with Rtossas that some of it is mental too. Mentally you become accustom to the strain/pain and it has less of an effect in the long run.

Where I've really noticed what I believe to be adaptation is in my lifts. If I do the same isolation exercise for months on end, after a while they feel like they lose their effectiveness. I can lift a ton but I'm not feeling the same "burn" as I do earlier on. Now if I do a different isolation exercise, still focusing on the same muscle group but in a different way, I not only get the burn back but usually will have a bit of DOMS to go with it. For that reason the last couple months I've started really mixing up my lifting program. I've tried to find as many different exercises as I can for each muscle group and I mix them up for each workout.

So far I've been happy with the results. Overall my muscles feel and look like they're gaining more mass where I had previously plateaued. Additionally, I'm noticing more significant strength gains. Tony Horton talks about muscle confusion in his workouts and I while I don't follow his plans, I do think there is some validity to the concept.
  • ArroganceInStep
    I think you guys are missing the point. The OP wasn't asking about muscle adaptation making things easier, but rather speculating on how he's become so accustomed to a specific type of workout (i.e. mountain biking for 45 minutes) and going past it is extremely difficult.

THAT barrier is what I think is mostly mental.

If it's a question of if your body adapts to strain to perform more efficiently/effectively, it definitely does. I don't think there's any room for debate on that one.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    I think you guys are missing the point. The OP wasn't asking about muscle adaptation making things easier, but rather speculating on how he's become so accustomed to a specific type of workout (i.e. mountain biking for 45 minutes) and going past it is extremely difficult.

THAT barrier is what I think is mostly mental.

If it's a question of if your body adapts to strain to perform more efficiently/effectively, it definitely does. I don't think there's any room for debate on that one.

You're right, I misread what Jackson was getting at here. Even then I think it's a mix of mental and physical. If you do the same workout for the same length of time every day for a long period, I absolutely believe your body adapts to that and pushing beyond will become tough. Our bodies run on cycles and when your workout becomes routine and predictable, I personally think it then becomes a part of your body's cycle as well.

I've got no medical evidence of this but looking at how our bodies seem to adapt to handle any repetitive stress I have to believe that it can certainly adapt in this way as well.
  • ArroganceInStep
    You're right, I misread what Jackson was getting at here. Even then I think it's a mix of mental and physical. If you do the same workout for the same length of time every day for a long period, I absolutely believe your body adapts to that and pushing beyond will become tough. Our bodies run on cycles and when your workout becomes routine and predictable, I personally think it then becomes a part of your body's cycle as well.

I've got no medical evidence of this but looking at how our bodies seem to adapt to handle any repetitive stress I have to believe that it can certainly adapt in this way as well.

That's a fair counter. I disagree only because I think that pushing past that 45 minute (to use the example) point that you're used to is no harder physically than getting up to the 45 minute mark in the first place, it only seems harder because you know you're already doing a lot.

A while back I was lifting in a virtual competition, I put up a 405 squat after 3 attempts and got a grinder 365 deadlift up. That 365 felt incredibly heavy, it's more than I had ever pulled before (I'm very squat biased). At the gym a couple weeks later, someone who's opinion I value greatly noticed me lifting and said 'dude, what the f*** are you doing, you should be pulling way more than that'. The next set I put up 405 with a lot less difficulty than the 365 before that had been.

There's obviously genetic limits to what can be done and improvement beyond a certain point slows, but I think a lot of what jackson's talking about is mental.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Much of the time, mental limits do seem to be a bigger issue for me than physical ones... so this wouldn't surprise me at all.