Eat More to Weigh Less

Options
After reading several articles on MFP, visiting several sites, and doing several calculators, it has come to my attention that I am not eating enough calories! This so explains how I have been feeling lately since really going at it hard core again. I was only eating 1200 calories a day and then not eating back my entire exercise calories. I have feeling super tired and sluggish. Also, I've plateaued rather quickly and haven't noticed any change. I didn't realize that I was even doing this! My TDEE is 2,119. My BMR is 1700 something (depending on what site I used). Some sites say less others say more. Either way, all the sites are suggesting I eat between 1600-1800. This is all before exercise as well.

So the reason for my post, What is everyone's take on this?
Eating 1200 calories is not working for me anymore and I am working out hard (running on stairmaster/treadmill and lifting at least 4-5 times a week).

Replies

• SaffSaad
    Options
    I started with 1200 and it wasn't enough at all. I used http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ to work out my TDEE and RMR.

I workout 5-6 times a week, my RMR or BMR is about 1470, my TDEE with my current activity level is about 2360 - 15-20% if i want to lose weight that's about 1800 cal.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I would eat 1700. You don't really want to be eating under your BMR it's not healthy. TDEE- 20% is usually the rule. That puts you at 1700 so id get a more accurate grasp on both numbers and calculate it out.
  • nharder1
    nharder1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would eat 1700. You don't really want to be eating under your BMR it's not healthy. TDEE- 20% is usually the rule. That puts you at 1700 so id get a more accurate grasp on both numbers and calculate it out.

Schpanks!
    I'm literally in a better mood already, knowing that I can eat more! :)
  • mghanie
    mghanie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You should definitely start eating more especially if you are feeling sluggish during the day, i agree you should try not to eat below your BMR.

What if MFP gives you a number to eat thats below your BMR? Also how can you eat that much calories without going over your fat limit for the day? I have trouble having within my fat limit everyday.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

What if MFP gives you a number to eat thats below your BMR? Also how can you eat that much calories without going over your fat limit for the day? I have trouble having within my fat limit everyday.

When MFP tells you to eat under your BMR, change your rate of loss per week to a lower number. I can't help with the fat. I don't worry about it.
  • nharder1
    Options
    You should definitely start eating more especially if you are feeling sluggish during the day, i agree you should try not to eat below your BMR.

MFP told me 1200 and when I changed my ratio to a 1lb a week, it only increased to 1300.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    1700-1800, maybe a couple hundred more if you exercise hard.

You will be much happier, healthier, and more likely to succeed in attaining your goals.

Do eet.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Losing weight at a painful rate. 1-2 lbs every 2 months. Just made the decision to eat more. Read about TDEE. So now eating based on TDEE/BMR. Its been 10 days. I won't weight til 15th. Actually eating about 400-500 calories more a day. See what happens!!:noway:
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options

Your fat (carb, protein) limit will be adjusted to the calorie goal.
    And going over your fat limit is not necessarily a bad thing. Just make sure most of your fat comes from healthy sources like nuts, avocado, olive oil, coconut oil and not from ice-cream, chips and french fries.
  • cmriverside
    Options

MFP told me 1200 and when I changed my ratio to a 1lb a week, it only increased to 1300.
    [/quote]

When you raise your calorie goal, all your macros increase (including fat).

For the record, my fats ratio is 45% of daily calories. I have maintained my weight loss just fine with high fats. It's more about getting the number of calories dialed in.

*edit to fix quotes
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I raised my calories just 3 days ago, and the scale is down 2 pounds (which I won't fully attribute to that, as a 2 pound fluctuation isn't unheard of). nevertheless, I feel better, and hungry again. I can eat a balanced diet, and bigger meals, and just feel good.

So let's hope I lose.

So, what I'm trying to say is bump :D
  • nharder1
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I just adjusted my numbers today and I weigh in on Sunday. I will be sure to keep you posted!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I just adjusted my numbers today and I weigh in on Sunday. I will be sure to keep you posted!

Just give it a month at the higher cals before you make a judgement. Really, you may not want to weigh-in......sometimes (not always) there is temporary weight gain of a pound or two....
  • nharder1
    Options

Just give it a month at the higher cals before you make a judgement. Really, you may not want to weigh-in......sometimes (not always) there is temporary weight gain of a pound or two....

We shall see! But I will keep that in mind.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am still working on this myself after I crashed and burned on low cal. By upping I initially had a loss the first week then it stopped again but I have not gained so I am waiting a month out. Good luck to you.
  • RunDoozer
    Options

I personally don't like the way MFP calculates calories. It has a ton of people eating way too little. In my opinion. Then they find out they should be eating more and lose more weight.

MFP doesn't' include exercise so you should be eating those calories back. TDEE already accounts for your daily activity which is why it is a higher number. Also like someone else said when you up your calorie goal here it adjusts your fat intake also.
  • mghanie
    mghanie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    After upping the calories how long after would you see results?
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    From what I've been seeing you should give it a month or two. You may see immediate results you may not.
  • cmriverside
    Options

I personally don't like the way MFP calculates calories. It has a ton of people eating way too little. In my opinion. Then they find out they should be eating more and lose more weight.

MFP doesn't' include exercise so you should be eating those calories back. TDEE already accounts for your daily activity which is why it is a higher number. Also like someone else said when you up your calorie goal here it adjusts your fat intake also.

Garbage in -

MFP is a dumb tool. Put in an inaccurate Activity Level, and shoot for "2 pounds loss per week" when you have 25 pounds to lose, and yeah - you're gonna get some wonky numbers. Almost no one is "Sedentary". So if people are honest, they get better numbers. And eat exercise calories - this site is designed to work that way...which is why everyone should read first and act later.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on it. I was originally at 1400 cals but only recently lowered it to 1200. The reason is that I was doing 900 a day walking hills. I would wind up eating 1600-1800 a day. So I just lowered it to 1200 and still eat around the same amt about 1500-1800 a day, depending on how many cals I burn. I would say anything under 1400 a day you'll lose weight but if you exercise you can eat 1500-1800 and still lose depending on your cal burns. Big burns upper end, smaller burns lower end of that spectrum. Hope this helps - this is my experience. :)