NEWBIE with caloric question

Options
When you all registered for MyFitnessPal, did you go with the calories that was automatically suggested for your weight loss or did you customize them? My daily calories are supposed to be 1500 for a 2 lb./week weight loss. But a part of me thinks maybe I should cut even more? But I'm trying not to worry so much right now about it so I won't get too stressed out to the point where I give up.

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Do 1500/day for a couple of weeks and see how you get on. Remember, the best diet is the one you will stick to. I am small and only lose 1.3lbs a week on 1200cals and trust me, 1200cals a day is tough.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Recall that the MFP calorie goal already includes a calorie deficit for whatever activity level you entered.
    So if you put in sededentray.....but you're working out daily, you can eat back your exercise calories (I ate back most but not all...figuring there was going to be an overcalculation of how many calories burned.)
  • Sharoncipi
    Options
    I think youd better stick to it like that cos less than that would be tough and you need something realistic that you can stick to long term :) Good luck to you all :)
  • findingmyfit
    Options
    Thanks all for your comments. A big help. I'll just stick to how it is for now. :)
  • TransforMommy
    Options
    Most people don't lose 2 lbs a week. Maybe at first you will lose a lot more than that. Like, when I started I lost about 6 pounds my first week and then between 4 and 5 for several weeks. Now, I lose between 1 - 2 pounds a week, sometimes .5. I try to stay under my calorie goal from MFP. I try to stick around 1200. But, if I go a little over some days, that's okay. I try not to be too strict with myself.
  • findingmyfit
    Options
    I was under my calorie goal today, mainly because I skipped lunch because I got caught up in other things. But overall with all that I've ate today I feel satisfied and I'm definitely not hungry or feel deprived.
  • d8402l
    d8402l Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The first week I was on MFP stet my calorie limit at like 1200. By the end of the week I felt terrible. I was getting really bad headaches, I felt hungry all the time and I was really grumpy. Then I went to a few different sites to calculate my BMR, and for that it was about 1530, so I went back to figure out what I did wrong, re entered some numbers and now have a calorie limit of 1580. I find now that I have more energy, I don't feel like I'm starving and I'm still seeing results.

My point is to listen your body. It will tell you if something is wrong. If you are feeling satiated, you aren't lacking energy, and you feel like everything is working for you you are probably fine. Try bot to skip meals though. You need to eat throughout the day to keep your body fueled.

I am on medication that suppresses appetite, but ironically enough causes weight gain, so there are some days that I just need to make myself eat something.