Anyone else doing TRX?

Options
Hi there,

I'm a big fan of TRX and do it as often as I can at the gym. But I realized that TRX is not in the exercise database, so I can't realy log it. I also seems to be difficult to find a website, that could tell me how many calories TRX burns. Of course there's never an exact number, because everybody is different and burns different, but is there anybody out there who can give me a around number of calories I burn doing 20 minutes of TRX. that would be very helpful.

thanks
Mimi

Replies

• donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I love TRX, but I ran into the same problem - I couldn't find the calories in the data base. I found this entry on Livestrong.com that says the average 30 minute TRX workout will burn between 180 - 266 calories depending on body weight. That's what I've been using as a benchmark, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Here's the link: http://www.livestrong.com/article/303485-calories-burned-in-a-trx-class/
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. In the past I always logged around 190 kcl for 20 minutes - seems to be good, when it's correct what the link tells. I think I'll go on with that as long there's no one replying here, knowing something exactly.
  • donnacervelli11
    Options
    No problem, I'll eagerly be following this thread looking for a 'real' answer too! Do you take a class at your gym or is there an individual training program that you use?
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. In the past I always logged around 190 kcl for 20 minutes - seems to be good, when it's correct what the link tells. I think I'll go on with that as long there's no one replying here, knowing something exactly.

That's probably about right.

I've done TRX sessions with my trainer and it depends a lot on what we do, but the average burn for me for an hour is 400-600 calories. Of course, I'm getting that from my HRM, so who knows if it is correct.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I just put up our TRX system at home - bolted the anchor up into the ceiling of our workout room. I haven't tried it yet but my wife did the first workout yesterday and while she didn't burn many calories, she really felt it doing the work. She burned 152 calories in about 30 minutes.
  • Miiimii
    Options
    No problem, I'll eagerly be following this thread looking for a 'real' answer too! Do you take a class at your gym or is there an individual training program that you use?

We have little group classes with four persons in my gym. It always half an hour and three groups: starter, advanced an circuit. You just have to put your name on the list half an hour before to join the group (so you have to be there in time). But you can also use the TRX on your own when there are no classes. It's integrated into the training area.

I never used it alone (because the first month the suspensions were removed after the classes, but now they leave them in place, probably because most peolpe who joined the classes know most of the exercises good enough to do them on there own now), but I plan to do so.
  • Miiimii
    Options
    I just put up our TRX system at home - bolted the anchor up into the ceiling of our workout room. I haven't tried it yet but my wife did the first workout yesterday and while she didn't burn many calories, she really felt it doing the work. She burned 152 calories in about 30 minutes.

Would love to have a TRX system at home. But it's quiet expensive and I'm not sure if the ceilings of our appartment will carry my weight (not because I'm so heavy more because it's a realy old house and the ceilings are not so solide).
    After doing it in the gym I can't move properly for two days, because of muscle pain. Much more than I ever got from working the normal weight maschines. We also have classes comparing the TRX with fast cardio units liking running in place very fast for one minute between the exercises. That realy pushes your circulation. Most important thing with TRX is not to have breaks between the exercises, that why it's so intense.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Would love to have a TRX system at home. But it's quiet expensive and I'm not sure if the ceilings of our appartment will carry my weight (not because I'm so heavy more because it's a realy old house and the ceilings are not so solide).
    After doing it in the gym I can't move properly for two days, because of muscle pain. Much more than I ever got from working the normal weight maschines. We also have classes comparing the TRX with fast cardio units liking running in place very fast for one minute between the exercises. That realy pushes your circulation. Most important thing with TRX is not to have breaks between the exercises, that why it's so intense.

We got ours from TaoBao (China's version of Ebay) for around $80USD. It's the actual TRX system from the manufacturer. My wife is from Taiwan so she has no problem dealing with the Chinese website. It's amazing how cheap the equipment is there.
  • lillsmitty1
    Options
    I take a TRX clas at our local gym, today I did a 45 minute class and I burned 275 calories, that was based off of my HRM.
  • Miiimii
    Options

We got ours from TaoBao (China's version of Ebay) for around $80USD. It's the actual TRX system from the manufacturer. My wife is from Taiwan so she has no problem dealing with the Chinese website. It's amazing how cheap the equipment is there.

Wow, 80USD is a nice price. For this price i would by it too, but I have no Asian boyfriend. ;-)
  • runlisaloo
    runlisaloo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I LOVE TRX! I just started at my gym. I want a home system too, and am shopping on ebay. It's hard, but I look forward to getting better at it. FUN!!
  • slimrubybird
    slimrubybird Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been super interested in trying TRX and wanted to get my own system for home use. After a little research, I found another suspension system that is half the price of TRX and has a few improved features, such as the straps being separate from each other instead of sharing a single pivot point (which allows you to adjust the width of the straps).

Here's a link: http://www.lifelineusa.com/catalog/product/view/id/58/s/jungle-gym-xt/

I bought one for the holidays...now just need to get my handy hubby to hang it!
    ps. I'm not a salesperson for this product...just wanted to share my research results so you could get what you want and save a little money!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    thanks - now I know what one looks like I can run one up out of cargo straps, water piping and karabiners!
  • donnacervelli11
    Options
    *Random update: I started wearing a BodyMedia band a few weeks ago. I wore it to a couple TRX classes and according the BodyMedia I burn an average of 205 calories during a 45 minute TRX class. (I'm 5"5 and weigh 146lbs)
  • OgdenBT
    OgdenBT Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents on TRX and calorie burn... I wear a bluetooth 4.0 strap tethered to my iPhone. In an hour class I average 450 calories. (I'm 5'11, 163lbs) This TRX class mixes cardio into the mix... typically jump rope for 30 seconds... running a lap around a track, etc., after every third TRX exercise. The instructor (and I agree) believes that a combination of the high intensity/short duration cardio mixed with the TRX is a super efficient fully body workout. I'm loving the results after 6 months or so!!!!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I just brought a TRX from the US and am so looking forward to using it - aside from the TRX website can anyone recommend any good web sites / DVD's I can use?