Ideal weight for a 5'6 female, average build..

Options
I'm 3 months postpartum and currently weigh 138lbs. Prepregnancy my weight would yo-yo between 105lbs - 110lbs.. never bigger.

Replies

• Katie22222
    Katie22222 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well, your prepregnancy-weight should be a good weight then. :)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    mid BMI is 128 pounds.

Are you sure you aren't a small build. If I was 105-110 pounds I would be underweight, and I'm the same height.
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    138 here...around 22 BMI.

23612564_8036.jpg
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    ... 5'6" and 105. If you are naturally very thin, so be it, but body fat % is more important in terms of health than the "BMI" scale... and even on the BMI, that's an unhealthy weight. o_o
  • LarDoucheLar
    LarDoucheLar Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was skinny but i wouldn't have called myself 'petite' and heightwise i wouldn't say i'm very small either.. on my bmi i was classed as underweight before.
  • firstsip
    Options
    I was skinny but i wouldn't have called myself 'petite' and heightwise i wouldn't say i'm very small either.. on my bmi i was classed as underweight before.

What exactly are you looking for here as "ideal weight"? I notice you're still a teenager, so maybe that's coloring your perspective, but there's no "ideal weight to height" ratio. Healthy weight is determined by many things, BMI being the LEAST of which, but most importantly is a healthy body fat %, good BP/cholesterol (which too are not always the best measures due to genetic factors), cardiovascular health as a whole, etc.

Yes, you were underweight by many standards, and you're 19... your body was still undergoing hormonal development, AND you've had a child. If you're 138 and (according to your other posts) you're having trouble "budging" the weight, you might want to reevaluate your "ideal weight." You just had a child, and regardless of "frame," you're still at a healthy weight. If you're unhappy with body FAT, however, try lifting weights to strengthen muscles, not stress a number being different from what it was when you were an even younger teen.
  • 15kaspen
    15kaspen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 130-ish. 105-110 seems really small for an average build. I'd be underweight if I weighed that. If you actually are average build, 120's are good.
  • LarDoucheLar
    LarDoucheLar Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Ah i see thankyou firstsip. It's not so much i want to get back to prepregnancy weight, i more than anything just want to tone up and obtain a healthy weight and stick to it..

15kaspen 120's would be a great weight to weigh. Everyone did say i was too skinny before so i think that'd roughly be my ideal weight.

Thanks alot everyone.. gonna find out my body fat %.
  • firstsip
    Options
    Ah i see thankyou firstsip. It's not so much i want to get back to prepregnancy weight, i more than anything just want to tone up and obtain a healthy weight and stick to it..

15kaspen 120's would be a great weight to weigh. Everyone did say i was too skinny before so i think that'd roughly be my ideal weight.

Thanks alot everyone.. gonna find out my body fat %.

Good luck! Try using tools on here: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/. But calipers or special "body fat" scales are a bit more accurate than online calculators.

It's important to be happy and accepting of your body (regardless if others said you were "too skinny"), but it's important to make sure those expectations line up with health, too! :)
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and weigh 109 lb. (My heaviest weight EVER was 137 lb....and that was when I was pregnant.) Some people might tell me that I am "underweight," but I would disagree. I've also had three kids and am in my mid-30's. I truly believe that every person is different and every body-type is different. It's all about being comfortable with yourself and not worrying about what other people think. :)