Breastfeeding,workingout and dieting. NOT LOSING WEIGHT!

Options
Okay, I've been breast feeding exclusively for 5 months now, I started working out when DD was 2 months old. I'm seeing NO results here! I log and stay at or under my calories and I'm using 30 Day Shred. I'm feeling it, but the scale isn't moving. Has anyone had trouble like this before? (Duh! Of course some people had the same problem! Does anyone have tips to get it going?)

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at your measurements and not just the scale?
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I would agree maybe start taking measurements and see whether you're making progress in terms of inches. Maybe also unlock your food journal so people can give input on your eating?

What I'm about to say isn't particularly helpful but - I know a lot of women lose while breastfeeding but I found that my body seemed to hang on to the last bit of weight until my sons weaned. It was weird but once they weaned, the weight started moving again. It might just take some time.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've been breast feeding exclusively for 5 months now, I started working out when DD was 2 months old. I'm seeing NO results here! I log and stay at or under my calories and I'm using 30 Day Shred. I'm feeling it, but the scale isn't moving. Has anyone had trouble like this before? (Duh! Of course some people had the same problem! Does anyone have tips to get it going?)

Hi! I know that is mega frustrating because everyone and their mom tells you the weight will fall off if you breastfeed. That is not true for everyone. I'm pregnant at the moment with my second, but I have lots of ladies on my FL who are relatively new moms. They are all part of a post-partum group on here, and they talk a lot about this. It seems that while breastfeeding burns a LOT of calories, your body is designed to hang onto some fat so as not to starve you or your baby. Additionally, if they cut out too many calories, their supply suffers.

A lot of them seem to lose as soon as their baby is weaned. So, assuming you are doing everything else "right," it may just be something you have to live with until you stop breastfeeding.

Me, I had a hard enough time with supply after my son was born, so I'm not a good first-person source. However, I'll put the word out to my FL for them to chime in!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I would agree maybe start taking measurements and see whether you're making progress in terms of inches. Maybe also unlock your food journal so people can give input on your eating?

What I'm about to say isn't particularly helpful but - I know a lot of women lose while breastfeeding but I found that my body seemed to hang on to the last bit of weight until my sons weaned. It was weird but once they weaned, the weight started moving again. It might just take some time.

I agree 100% with what 416runner said.

I'm new at this, too. I have a 2 month old, exclusively breast feed, eat about 1400 calories + 500 breastfeeding calories (so I eat about 1900 each day) and I try to eat back my exercise calories. Some days it is hard to eat them all, but I try not to leave too much of a defecit at the end of the day. I have 14lbs of baby weight left to lose, and it is slowly coming off.

Keep in mind everybody is different. I have friends who got scary skinny while breast feeding, and then they regained and looked healthy again once they weaned. I have a feeling I'll hang onto some weight until I wean my little one.

The group RBXChas mentioned is called "Post Partum Pack". It's not always super active, but there are a ton of us new moms there who can offer advice.

Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Definitely check out the Post Partum Pack group, you'll find lots of new moms in the same place as you.

My little guy is three months old and I'm breastfeeding exclusively. I find that I need to eat about 2000 calories per day to maintain a good milk supply and lose weight. On days that I exercise, I try to eat my exercise calories back. Some days that means eating 2500+ calories which seems like a lot, but your body really is using them. I've lost 42 of my 44 pounds so far. Could your calories be too low?

And like the other ladies said, measuring inches might prove to be more satisfying!

We all seem to lose at different rates, just remember that it WILL come off!

You can add me too if you need support :)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I am one who always had a hard time losing while BF. With all three of my children, the weight wouldn't start to come off until they were much older- like 7-8 months. When I started watching calories and exercising with #3, my milk supply diminished to the point that I was unable to continue breastfeeding. Focus on eating GOOD foods to take care of your body and your baby, don't cut calories drastically, and drink plenty of water. Your hormones play a huge role in weight loss and postpartum hormones can take a long time to return to normal.
    Good luck!
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Measurements! Take them once a week (pick a day and stick to it!) and if you are doing everything right (which it really sounds like you are doing) you will see a difference.

With my first, I initially lost the first 20 pounds before I left the hospital... but then I let it creep back on while I was breastfeeding (even on weight watchers and excercising)... when I stopped pumping/producing I started losing weight again. Good luck!!!
  • livs_mom
    Options
    i know others have already said it but take measurements! i did 30DS last year and didn't lose any weight while doing it but did lose inches!
  • skinnedknee101
    skinnedknee101 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Just speaking from my own experience, but I tried losing weight after my son was born. I pretty much gave up, and then when he was around 1, the weight just started falling off. I was pretty excited. When I talked to other moms, many of them said the same thing happened to them. Be healthy, and the weight will come off eventually. Don't get discouraged!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i know others have already said it but take measurements! i did 30DS last year and didn't lose any weight while doing it but did lose inches!
    To expand on this, it's because you build up muscle while buring fat, so while you may not see progress on the scale (you could gain muscles that weighs the same as the fat you lost) measurements will tell you your true progess (muscle is leaner than fat so you'll notice progress in inches lost).

And ditto to what everyone else said (also seconding the comment as to whether your cals are high enough).
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    A lady on my FL will hopefully chime in later, but she couldn't access this on her phone. She is a lactation educator and said that your protein must be high enough (along with overall calories) to support you, your activity, and your lactation. If it's not, that might be why your body is holding on to fat.
  • mindovermattergp
    Options
    I have three children, ages 6, 4, and 18 months. I am one of those people who NEVER dropped pounds from nursing. It is not uncommon to not lose the weight even when nursing. I eat healthy and take in the right amount of nutrients but the weight would not come off. I started exercising and I make sure I take in enough calories because my supply drops drastically. I nurse all of my children until they are two. Just hang in there! It is worth being able to provide breastmilk for your little one. You can lose it once you stop nursing :)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My body is still holding onto fat even with sufficient protein, sadly. Although I have lost all of the weight on my ticker while nursing, these last few pounds are being stubborn and sticking on my stomach and hips. It can be done, just make sure you're adequately sustaining yourself!
  • kikimama125
    Options
    Try upping your calories for a little bit. I have to eat 2100 calories a day, and eat back most, if not all, my burned calories to lose weight. Granted, I have a big oversupply so I'm producing enough for twins. I found the biggest thing that effects my supply is not drinking enough water, expecially the days I workout! But my body holds onto every.dang.calorie if I don't eat enough. I guess we are designed to make sure the baby is fed!