Not Getting Results...Please Help!

Options
This is my first post here on MFP. I need some advice. I've been exercising 5-6 times per week and eating the allowed calories based upon the amount of pounds I want to lose per week (2 lbs). I weigh 243 and I've been eating 1200-1300 calories per day. I burn 250-275 calories when I work out. I allow myself a treat on Saturdays. I do not eat up the extra calories I get from exercising daily. I have only lost 6 lbs in 7 weeks. I am toning, but shouldn't I have lost more weight than that. My husband said I should be eating my exercise calories, and that I'm not eating enough calories and that I should be losing only a 1 lb per week. Please shed light on this for me. I'm ready to throw in the towel because I'm working my butt off almost everyday in the gym and getting no results.

Thanks,
Candy

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    you are definitely getting too few net calories. make sure you're getting between 1200 and 1300 net calories every day. and losing about a pound a week isn't "not getting results"...that's measurable, sustainable weight loss. be proud of yourself.
  • carmendave
    carmendave Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1200-1300 per day. When you say "net" calories. Is there a difference?
  • Gkauf30755
    Options
    Don't give up! I don't have any answers, but am sending my support.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1200-1300 per day. When you say "net" calories. Is there a difference?

"Net" calories are the calories your body has to use for maintenance AFTER exercise calories are taken out.

Example: You eat 1200 in a day. You exercise 200 calories away. Your net is 1200 (calories you ate) - 200 (calories lost to exercise = Net of 1000 calories for your body to operate on.

Make sense?

Edited to add: The "net" calories is figured for you on your home page. Can you see it?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would agree you are eating to few calories. Why don't you try to eat 1500-1800 calories daily. Also, a person generally can not sustain a 2 lb per week weight loss. I would suggest it's more realistic to aim for 1.5 lb per week and push yourself hard on workouts. Ideally, it's better to fuel your body from the beginning so you reduce the chances of plateaus and frustration.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I would agree you are eating to few calories. Why don't you try to eat 1500-1800 calories daily. Also, a person generally can not sustain a 2 lb per week weight loss. I would suggest it's more realistic to aim for 1.5 lb per week and push yourself hard on workouts. Ideally, it's better to fuel your body from the beginning so you reduce the chances of plateaus and frustration.

:flowerforyou:
  • carmendave
    Options
    Yes, I got it! That makes sense. But, it seems that the weight would be coming off a little more since I'm eating less calories than the net. I know I shouldn't compare myself to others. But, my girlfriend has lost 13 pounds in 6 weeks and she doesn't exercise like I do. I have been on this journey for the past 20 years. My weight has gone up and down. However, I never stuck with a program more than a month. I'm more determined than I've ever been, but it's very discouraging. I appreciate the support. I really need it.
  • move257
    move257 Posts: 313
    Options
    This one is simple, eat more, you'll lose the weight, promise!! :D
  • amomono
    amomono Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    While 1 lb per week seems slow - it will help you to keep that weight off long term. You are doing things the right way. Perhaps add a few extra calories in to account for what you are burning in workouts, but keep at it!! =)

Something else... when I start a new program and I start to get lean, I tend to gain a little bit of weight even though I'm losing inches. Muscle does weigh more than fat, so if you are adding muscle to your body, it takes a bit of time for it to show up on the scale. Perhaps do some other measurements - like thigh, arm, waist and chest - to get a different sort of account of your success!
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Candy, everything in life comes down to perspective. I for one am really impressed that you've been sustaining weight loss of about a pound a week, and more than that, eating healthily and mindfully, and working out nearly every day to improve your vitality! wow! Keep it up, girl! Our bodies are all different and some people have a rapid loss at the beginning, others have an early plateau and see literally zero weight loss for a few weeks, and others are slow and steady. And even our own weight loss experience varies through time. It doesn't matter how your body does it, as long as you're doing it!!! Don't give up. And remember to enjoy all the little improvements that are coming with your new lifestyle - more energy, better fitting clothes, better self esteem, better mood regulation... Keep going! :)

Why not buy yourself a nice new dress to celebrate 6 lbs gone? :D
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes, I got it! That makes sense. But, it seems that the weight would be coming off a little more since I'm eating less calories than the net. I know I shouldn't compare myself to others. But, my girlfriend has lost 13 pounds in 6 weeks and she doesn't exercise like I do. I have been on this journey for the past 20 years. My weight has gone up and down. However, I never stuck with a program more than a month. I'm more determined than I've ever been, but it's very discouraging. I appreciate the support. I really need it.

You do realize that you have water retention with exercise? Also, she is probably losing more because she isn't create a huge deficit and having hormones prevent it. Bodies do not like to starve, that is why they have hormones like cortisol.. to prevent famine. I have seen so many more women succeed at eating 1700-2000 with a good workout program consisting of weight training (heavy weights) and some mild cardio and those eating 1200 calories and working out a lot. You may lose less weight, but you will lose more fat if you properly fuel your body, eat adequate protein and lift heavy. Also, exercise allows you to maintain weight loss. It's a long term game, don't screw it up with short term aggressive goals.
  • abaraniak
    Options
    I think its something to do with having enough energy going in to allow your body to function and let itself lose weight - if you don't eat enough calories (i.e. under net) your body stores what it has and doesn't shed the weight as it doesn't think it has enough to keep going. It tries to protect itself. It seems counter intuitive but you sometimes need to give it more to encourage it to let some go! If you up your calories intake to 1500 and burn off 250 of these exercising, then you will still have enough for your body to be happy!!

This isn't the scientific answer but I think this is how it works :)
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    But, my girlfriend has lost 13 pounds in 6 weeks and she doesn't exercise like I do.

There is more to fat loss than weight. Your girlfriend is probably losing a healthy (unhealthy) amount of muscle as well, whereas you are hopefully maintaining yours through exercise.

fwiw, I also thing you need to be eating more baseline calories and need to be eating back your exercise calories. I also think losing 1 lb a week is GREAT progress. Its more important to do it healthily and change your habits long term than to compete with your friend over a number.
  • carmendave
    Options
    I will take all your advice regarding the calories. My husband said the same thing. But, I wanted to make sure. Because it didn't make sense to me. All of you can't be wrong. I will up my calories some way without throwing my eating routine off. I'll post again and let you guys know my results. Thanks!
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I have been on this trip since Sept and have only lost 21 lbs. I think part of it is because I am older. I do eat my calories from exercising, not all of them but some. Eat between 1300 and 1500 most days. Its slow going but I am not giving up. So its going to take me more than a year to get to my goal weight. I am learning to eat better and making better choices and I am moving more. i started out at 245 and now down to 224. Not a big loss for 4 mo, but I feel 100% better. Cutting way back on processed wheat has helped my joint pains. I didn't mean to go gluten free, just I have issues with bread and pasta so I avoid it to not pig out.

And I am moving more. With injuries and surgeries and then foot and knee issues I had become very sedentary. Now I can exercise for an hour at once. Its been slow going but I am committed to logging my food, which when I am choosing what to eat makes me think do I want to eat that? And also I can review my food choices and see where I could make better choices. And of course I want to eat more so I have to move more to eat just that 100-150 cal. extra. I can now fit into clothes I couldn't wear 3 years ago.

There is no secret to being successful, just one day at a time making the right choices. I have a friend here who started at the same weight and same time and she has lost 2xs the amount I have. She exercises more, is younger, and eats cleaner (less processed foods). That's ok, I am getting there. So are you. 7 lbs in 6 weeks is wonderful. That's 5 lbs a month, you are right on track. In 12 months you will be down 60 lbs! I take it one day at a time. I didn't get this fat over night and not going to lose it overnight. I long for the day when I can wear fun clothes and be able to hike 5 miles and still go out dancing at night, but not going to happen tomorrow and that's ok. My goal for June is to be able to jog 2 miles without walking any. Gotta have realistic goals. Actually that is a pretty big goal as I haven't done that for 20 years!

Yeah the weight isn't moving but I am learning to take care of myself. That is going to take time and patience. Learning to appreciate and love this body I have been gifted with after years of looking in the mirror saying you disgust me is huge. Not going to happen overnight.

Namaste.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Are you drowning in water? That helps :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    This is my first post here on MFP. I need some advice. I've been exercising 5-6 times per week and eating the allowed calories based upon the amount of pounds I want to lose per week (2 lbs). I weigh 243 and I've been eating 1200-1300 calories per day. I burn 250-275 calories when I work out. I allow myself a treat on Saturdays. I do not eat up the extra calories I get from exercising daily. I have only lost 6 lbs in 7 weeks. I am toning, but shouldn't I have lost more weight than that. My husband said I should be eating my exercise calories, and that I'm not eating enough calories and that I should be losing only a 1 lb per week. Please shed light on this for me. I'm ready to throw in the towel because I'm working my butt off almost everyday in the gym and getting no results.

Thanks,
    Candy

A 6 pound loss in 7 weeks is awesome! Don't get to fixated on a certain number and let yourself feel good about your accomplishment. I would recommend eating more that 1200 and definitely eating back your exercise calories. Stay consistent with your calorie goal, log everything, eat healthy, work out, drink lots of water and you will get results!
  • Pfunk73
    Options
    In due time, all will fall in place . I've been there when I thought I was eating less and working out more and I couldn't see a change until I upped the different type of good foods into my meals...
  • walk2120
    walk2120 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    6 lbs in 7 weeks is amazing! I am working out every single day since 31st of December and have lost just 0.5 lb!

In the similar post like yours, when I said I am not eatling my work out calories back, I was adviced against it. Now it make sence to me. 1200 is just not enough calories, so the body might be clinging on the weight.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    hey Candy, one of the hardest things for people to grasp is they have to eat enough to actually lose weight! In saying that, I think you need a lot more since you are doing so great at exercising. 1200 calories will not properly fuel your lungs, heart, brain and your other vital organs. Just for comparision sake.... I am 5'4", 46, weigh 145 and eat between 1450-1650 calories a day with a goal of .5 pounds a week. I exercise 3-5 times a week. Your husband is definitely right, eat back most (not all) of your exercise calories or eat all of them if you wear a heart rate monitor and know how many you are burning for sure.You are doing great so far but you will have better results if you fuel your body. Are you tracking your sodium? How much water are you drinking? Do you eat little or none boxed/processed food? You can do it!