Is it normal to still be hungry all the time?

Options
Hi,

I'm currently on 1700kcal which is the number I got from subtracting 500kcal from my BMR. I eat 5 meals a day about every 2-4 hours and still, I am so hungry.

In the past I've stuck with 1200kcal and would be so hungry to the point I'd want to faint but because I wanted to lose weight, I just dealt with it. As it turned out I was eating too little and my weight loss came to a halt until I started to eat more.

I know how to work out but I want to get my nutrition on track so I want to do this right. Am I suppose to feel hunger all the time and if I am, does that mean I actually need to eat even more? I no longer feel like I have to faint or lethargic but definitely hungry, tummy rumbling and all. I try drinking water because I know sometimes it can be thirst but it's not, it's definitely hunger.

Are you guys hungry all the time, too?

Replies

• AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    You're supposed to eat net above your BMR! Anything less can cause major health problems, & well, hunger too of course. What's your BMR? Do you happen to know your TDEE?

Also, are you eating small meals divided throughout the day?
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat net above your BMR! Anything less can cause major health problems, & well, hunger too of course. What's your BMR? Do you happen to know your TDEE?

Also, are you eating small meals divided throughout the day?

Yes. Sorry, I made a mistake in my post. The 1700 is minus 500 from my TDEE. Sorry about that. Yes, TDEE is 2230 I think...so I'm suppose to consume anywhere between 1700-1800. I'm eating on average around 300 - 400kcal per meal every 2 - 4 hours. But I am so so hungry still.

I got my TDEE from choosing Very Active as I'm doing the Insanity program as well as running after a 10 months old baby. Maybe I should choose really really really active? Haha.

Seriously though, I am just really hungry all the time...
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Fiber and protein help to make you feel full for a good period of time. From your diary it looks like you eat enough fiber, I would recommend more protein.
  • petithamu
    Options
    Fiber and protein help to make you feel full for a good period of time. From your diary it looks like you eat enough fiber, I would recommend more protein.

Should I omit some of the fiber and replace it with protein? Don't want to up the calories...
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Looks like you could do that and maybe cut a little out of your carbs. I'm on a carb/protein/fat ratio of 50/30/20 and I'm still almost always under on my carbs and fat and over on my protein.
  • petithamu
    Options
    Looks like you could do that and maybe cut a little out of your carbs. I'm on a carb/protein/fat ratio of 50/30/20 and I'm still almost always under on my carbs and fat and over on my protein.

Haha, I didn't even think about carbs...I do love my carbs...but I think I'll try that...
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'd add more good fat. Olive oil, avacado. Almonds.
  • stormtruck2
    stormtruck2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I suggest more protein. I am on a 55%p/25%c/20f schedule. The protein shake will help you feel full and much less hungary. I am on 1800 cal trying to reduce to 1250. I fought with hunger until I really upped my protein intake. I now i have to remember to eat again. Do not eat more than 35-40 g of protein in an hour, otherwise your just making very expensive urine.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Change your settings to up your fat intake. You can sacrifice some of the calories from carbs and some from protein. Fats take longer to digest so they keep you from feeling hungry.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Trying upping the protein and fibre but if that doesn't work there is NO REASON at all to eat 500 below TDEE. Up it to where you feel happy, not hungry and don't feel like you are on a diet otherwise you're going to keep yo-yoing. You only need to be at a deficit and it doesn't have to be a big one.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Fiber and protein, like everyone else says. I never really enjoyed meat that much, but I've made a point to include a lot more of it in my diet (trying to get huge doses of protein just from beans and stuff, while avoiding soy, was just not cutting it for me personally). Since I've added in much more protein, I am SO much more full throughout the day. Drastically different, but some amount of calories that I was eating before. I'm no huge Dr. Oz fan, but I saw a plan he talks about where you should eat 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking up to ward off munchies throughout the day. I don't usually eat within 30 mins of waking up, but I do try to eat super high-protein breakfasts when I can, and that really helps a lot, too. :)
  • tekeyla25
    Options
    dont get rid of fiber to get protein make wraps in wheat tortillas with meat or burgers or sandwiches with a good wheat, Fiber packed pancakes or waffles with a side of eggs! I think both protien and fiber are great for weightloss and both keep you full.
  • L14nDv
    L14nDv Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein, protein. As most folks have mentioned it keeps you fuller for longer. I found the MFP default setting of protein too low for me and so i changed the ratios and it made a big difference. It takes a while of tinkering with things to find what suits you. Good luck
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If you are working out then you need to eat those calories on top of the 1,700 to a net of 1,700, 2,200 is your rest TDEE.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I ask this question all the time and have tried various changes. more carbs, more protein, more calories etc. I have come to the conclusion that even when I eat 3000 calories a day I am still "hungry". All my blood work is normal , I eat healthy( 100g protein,100g carb,50g fat) and I am at my goal wt . I definately am not starving and have learned to live with it..
  • StonesUnturned
    StonesUnturned Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    In addition to the protein/fiber suggestions, and the possibility that you MAY want to up your calories slightly and lose weight a little slower to not be miserable (which are both good suggestions), you might also consider meal scheduling. It is common that folks suggest eating 5 or so smaller meals a day, but actually I found that I really like the sensation of being more full at night. So now I eat 3 meals and rarely snack between. It's true that I get hungry as lunch or dinner approach, but that's fine with me as long as I get to eat more of my calories at dinner and feel much better at the end of the day. Also, your body may take a few days to adjust to a new eating schedule, whatever schedule you decide on.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I wish I had saved this post but once someone said that you truly know if you are hungry when you not only crave high fat/sugar food but you also would be willing to eat vegetables. That really works for me to figure out if I'm hungry still. Sometimes our signals get confused. Keep drinking that water or other no calorie beverage and I pack a big gallon bag of cut up vegetables and snack on those. That seems to help cut the craving. If you are really hungry have a 1/2 piece of fruit see if that takes the edge off.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    More fibre, try to exceed the minimum work up to 25-30g. More low sugar fruit and non starchy vegetables, aim for nine servings a day. UK recommendations are minimums designed to be manageable for the public not optimal, most countries advocate seven to nine. Cut back on refined and processed carbs, you are eating quite a lot of high glycaemic index stuff like processed wheat and rice. Have more super low GI stuff like beans, lentils, pot barley: this will also supply more minerals. Dairy products help with satiety and are linked to lower body fat, three servings a day is recommended.
  • petithamu
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips, guys!

I've tweaked my meals for today and taking off some carbs and up the protein by double. I've also changed my last meal to be slightly more than the rest of the day to hold me through the night. I don't actually know what the Fat percentage for me is suppose to be...

I think I eat quite clean and not really sacrificing flavour and desire. My mom's a chef so I know how to make bland food taste good without adding salt or sugar. I also don't drink any sweeten drinks...makes you wonder why I'm overweight, right?! Ahh...portion control is my enemy...

I will give today's meals a try and see if I'm less hungry. Thanks again guys!
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    Maybe you should eat more than TDEE - 500? Since you're doing Insanity, I'm thinking that you should eat at TDEE since it burns so many calories. Try it for a week & see how you feel! I'm eating TDEE + 100. Good luck! :smile: