Does being overweight/obese make it harder to find a job?

Options

Replies

• amyfliesalot
    amyfliesalot Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that being unemployed and overweight is not a good place to be. I know that I'm not happy being fat, and if I had to look for a job it would be terrible. My attitude is different now. I don't have as much confidence as I did 25 years ago when I got hired, even though I KNOW I'm an awesome stewardess. My friends have said for years that I was fine, that I look good, not to worry so much. Now we've looked up, and most of us are fat. And we're owning it. I wish someone had said 40 lbs ago, "you might want to start watching it". Then I wouldn't have 50 lbs. to lose...
  • kit1986
    kit1986 Posts: 23
    Options
    I know someone (who is obese) and she said that every time she went in for a job interview, the interviewers would immediately look at her up and down with a disgusted look. She said she knew before the interview would even start, that she was not even considered to be even hired. She believes that appearance does has its role sometimes. (That's her opinion)

I'm not sure if that is the case, but the decision to hire someone should be based on qualifications not appearance, race, etc.

OMG!!! I know exactly how she feels because that happens to me nearly EVERY SINGLE TIME I go for an interview. Most of the jobs I've applied for in the past have been through employment agencies, so I always have to have an interview with them first and so far nothing has benefited from them.

It's actually getting to the point where I'm not looking for another job anymore and am simply making do with the one I've got (I guess I can't complain in that respect).
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Maybe, maybe not. I think the biggest factors would be industry and location. I certainly wouldn't want to try finding a job in high fashion or someplace like South Beach while obese.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It may just be her approach. I know slimmer people who have the same problem.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    In our society being in shape is absolutely looked at favorably when job hunting. Gripe all you want, it is what it is. Play the game or not, it's your choice. (This applies ESPECIALLY to outside sales positions, hence all the barbie-doll sales scum)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Even at 365lbs I didnt have a hard time finding work. I think it depends on your attitude and how you approach the employer you need tons of confidence.
  • tekeyla25
    Options
    I dont see why it would but you know how society is...Sadly enough they associate obese people with lazy so it might have something to do. Not to mention I think employers are vain and for a woman they want to hire a bombshell
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    For me it was the opposite. A former boss actually told me that he decided to hire me before we even sat down to talk because I was big, because to him that meant I had not social life so I must have dedicated my time in my studies and work.

WOW, I have no words :(
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Everything is harder....people will never admit it, but there is tons of discrimination against fat people.
    That's reality.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does make it harder. Employers want someone with a "neat and professional" appearance, which means not fat, no matter how neatly a big person dresses or how professional they are on the job. Fat is associated with things like laziness, no self control, selfishness, ugliness, etc. and even though that is untrue about the person, employers obviously make assumptions about a person based on those associations
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    well, with the % being thrown out as to those of us who are or have been obese or overweight, employers better get over it.

I finally left my old company in October after I lost my exess weight. I had a lot more confidence. Wished I had lost the weight (and the old company) years ago.
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does matter, although in a perfect world it shouldn't. There are stereotypes associated with obesity, just like there are with race/gender. there have been studies done that show the taller you are, the more income you will accumulate in your lifetime....

^^^^^ REALLY?? I'm 6'3''- 6'4''Maybe that will negate my super-obesity! Well if I was going to stay super-obese anyway....

I had an employer hire me because I "showed well". He said that the fact that I was dressed nicely and carried myself the way well got me the job. He was impressed because he perceived that bigger people seem to usually be...well...sloppy. This employer is a friend now...and has moved to a different company, that's why it was appropriate to have this conversation. I absolutely agree with the person I quoted about the stereotypes associated with obesity. I am obese and I work in corporate America and I know it's an issue that I have to combat. Thank God I "show well" I suppose.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    For me it was the opposite. A former boss actually told me that he decided to hire me before we even sat down to talk because I was big, because to him that meant I had not social life so I must have dedicated my time in my studies and work.

Wow, that's awful!

My first boss out of law school told my wife at our introductory cocktail party that he preferred single employees because they weren't distracted with things outside of the office.

I think there are a lot of factors in play right now. Not sure why obesity would instantly come to mind when the unemployment rate is as high as it is.
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It certainly shouldn't, but no doubt, it does.

How many high profile CEO's do you see that are overweight?

Answer, not alot.

Actually I haven't worked many places in my life, but all of the high office guys in my office are pretty big. I am not sure if it is how they eat or that they are sedentary in an office?

When I was going for teaching in college, one of my professors told me he had hired teachers before (he was once a principal) and he would not have hired me because I am obese. He said if he was interviewing two people of the same values on paper, but one was obese and one was not, he would hire the one of normal weight.

I am just a receptionist now...but I just don't know how I would manage to do my job if I weighed more. I find that now I am smaller I have more energy and the running about the office doesn't bother me as much-most days. Of course there are days I just wish I could lay down and sleep...but if I were still obese I think it would be a challenge.
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    Being that my profession is in the staffing and recruiting industry I can honestly say that I have seen things like obesity and image get in the way of some candidates obtaining a job. Personally, as a recruiter, if a candidate is technically qualified, presentable and has good communication skills I never hesitate to submit them to clients. However, I have seen in very few cases that in some company cultures and industries, unfortunately, it is something that certain hiring managers and companies have a bias towards- be it intentional or not. That being said- it is a very competitive market right now- regardless of the way that you look and the majority of companies that are looking for qualified individuals are going to be happier investing in someone who is qualified for the position as opposed to someone who is skinny and less qualified.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this won't win me any friends, but the truth is fat people are seen as lazy, unmotivated and lacking self-discipline. Plus, there are issues of health insurance costs and more missed work due to bad knees, etc.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    it shouldn't be that way, but sadly many interviewers make judgements based on things like size, gender, race, sexulaity. im sure your friend is a hard worker and qualified, but some people may see her as obese and think, oh she's overweight so she must be lazy. it's a shame but i'm sure it happens all the time.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Sadly, race, aesthetic (including weight), gender, age, and disability have all been shown to influence employment and salary stats, all else being equal. We must do the best we can with what we have personally and change the system to remove prejudice against factors that have no necessary causal connection to stellar performance.

This. I'm currently working on a paper about how makeup and wardrobe can even strongly affect this. Studies have shown that attractive people are perceived as nicer, more competent, and more intelligent than average people. Weight in the west is also a class issue, and people who are born into working class families are less likely to get the job than people of middle or upper class families. Wardrobe, makeup, etc. is a factor, so is the fact that the corporate world is arranged by middle class people and carries many of their values, which can make it difficult for working class people to learn to navigate certain essentials like networking and company politics.

The upside is that everyone has different built in prejudices. I've had jobs where nearly all the employees were obviously overweight adult females. It doesn't have to be a dealbreaker. You never know why someone picks a candidate, often if the skills and pay expectations are the same it comes down to people's gut feelings about a person or really weird little things, and the job market is tough right now, with a lot of people for every open position. It's a numbers game and the best thing to do is keep trying.
  • keem88
    Options
    I'm sure this won't win me any friends, but the truth is fat people are seen as lazy, unmotivated and lacking self-discipline. Plus, there are issues of health insurance costs and more missed work due to bad knees, etc.

yes this too, i didn't even think of the health insurance part. it is true, a large steretype is that obese people are lazy and unmotivated. i hate to agree, but people i know from college or that i worked with, the overweight ones were, well lazy and unmotivated...not to say that thin people aren't either.
  • keem88
    Options
    In our society being in shape is absolutely looked at favorably when job hunting. Gripe all you want, it is what it is. Play the game or not, it's your choice. (This applies ESPECIALLY to outside sales positions, hence all the barbie-doll sales scum)

true. i did marketing once and they pretty much hired anyone, but i did notice that people who were working there were all average size, the females were all pretty and the males were deff not over weight. we did in store marketing and door to door, so i guess they were looking for people who looked "fit" granted, a lot of those people who looked "fit" would sleep in their car all day instead of going door to door, so i'm sure someone overweight would have done the same or better job as them