Calories burned when weight training***

Options
I was wondering if anyone could tell me why the calories you burn while weight training are not added to the MFP calories earned from working out? I know I can do it myself, I was just wondering if there was a reason why. Thanks,
Jen

Replies

• PhoenixRising7
    PhoenixRising7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Here's the MFP explanation:
    Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.
  • JenLeffelman
    Options
    Where can I find that? Guess I should have researched the site better, but I'm constantly on the run
  • username_misso
    username_misso Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Further to this, do many people use a HRM to track it?
    I guess that would be a *little bit* more accurate according to your age/weight/height, etc?
  • tropicalgirl34
    tropicalgirl34 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM to track my calories burned during strength training or circuit training. Purchasing a HRM has been one of my greatest purchases ever!!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    HRM can't track it accurately. Do the same exercise every week (adding weight as you can of course) and adjust your calorie intake based on results.
  • aud085
    aud085 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Where can I find that? Guess I should have researched the site better, but I'm constantly on the run

go to your diary, hit add, then select Cardio then search for Strength