Sparkling water instead of still water?

Options
Is it ok to drink sparkling/carbonated water instead of still to fulfill my daily water needs?

I'm not a huge fan of drinking anything so it is SO hard for me to drink enough water during the day. I replaced what little bit of soda and/or diet soda I drink with sparkling and have now gotten addicted to the bubbly! Unfortunately that means I no longer like the taste of still water. I make sure the sparkling water I consume has no sodium, fake sugar, flavors, etc. and the extensive research I've done (read: Google) says this shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone heard anything different?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Just stay hydrated. As long as your pee is NOT dark, you're fine.

Edit: forgot an important word.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Current research shows the bubbles are a major cause of depression
  • SMCLosesIt
    SMCLosesIt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I drink sparkling all the time, it satisfy's my need for fizz!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    water =/= water
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Just stay hydrated. As long as your pee is dark, you're fine.

I'm doing it wrong :grumble:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

I thought it was diet soda that caused it? Hope I'm wrong because I love my sparkling water!.. just water from the tap with bubbles I added.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

And bone loss. Depressed with no bone, that would be a tragic life.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    No. Everyone knows that the bubbles interfere with phosphorus absorption and make your tummy tickle.
  • Jblank3211
    Options
    I was the same way, traded in my my diet soda for the flavored carbonated water. I was addicted to them as well and did like plain water...but my mother in law suggested doing half flavored water and half regular water. I started doing this and before I knew it I was drinking more and more regular water. We have the filter system with the big refillable 5 gallon jugs that keep the water cold so I will drink half the carbonated water then refill it with the filtered water. It has worked for me, and now I enjoy cold filtered water just as much as the carbonated flavored stuff! Good luck! I agree any water is better than nothing :)
  • cehall3
    Options

Yikes.
  • mockchoc
    Options

Yikes.

I'd be depressed without bone too ;)
  • cehall3
    Options
    I was the same way, traded in my my diet soda for the flavored carbonated water. I was addicted to them as well and did like plain water...but my mother in law suggested doing half flavored water and half regular water. I started doing this and before I knew it I was drinking more and more regular water. We have the filter system with the big refillable 5 gallon jugs that keep the water cold so I will drink half the carbonated water then refill it with the filtered water. It has worked for me, and now I enjoy cold filtered water just as much as the carbonated flavored stuff! Good luck! I agree any water is better than nothing :)

This is a good idea. I'm still not sure if carbonated water has any negatives, but it can't hurt to try to wean myself off of it. :smile:

We'll see how this goes. I love the bubbles.
  • mockchoc
    Options

Do you have any proof of this?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Do you have any proof of this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20943509
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I live on sparkling water! The best. Someone just told me there's some tooth decay issue with the bubbles but I do NOT accept. :)
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    There is no evidence according to the mayo clinic that carbonated water is bad for you. The research on phosphoric acid and bone health was done on diet soda which is another story.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/carbonated-water/MY01892
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    We got one of those home soda makers for Christmas. I use it to make bubbly water and squeeze some lemon in it. My new favorite!!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    No distinction between correlation and causation that I can see there.

An obvious 'correlation' I can see there is that over weight people often may be depressed - for me:
    Eating makes me happier when I'm sad, also at other times.
    I drink diet soda because I've eaten too much in the past/like eating too much in the present.
    Being fat makes me sad.

But I'm confident that it's not the consumption of diet drinks that causes it.
    If anything, as I've got older I've got happier (general acceptance of life sucking) and it's only recently I've been really in to diet sodas.
  • PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I drink it. I love Polar brand!
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I wrote several tweets about that "science".

The thing they seemed to completely forget when comparing diet soda drinkers and coffee drinkers is that those who are depressed typically have low energy levels. Filling a kettle and making a hot drink rather than opening a bottle is on par with preparing and cooking a meal rather than ordering a takeaway and getting up to answer the door when the delivery guy comes.

Some people dismiss all risks by claiming "living increases the risk of death *by* 100%". Having plugged the numbers in, I can only assume the study they are quoting concluded we are all immortal or the scientists included zombies who were dead and able to die: 200% of 0 is?

Are carbonated drinks linked with osteoporosis? Yes. Does it cause it? Who knows. The news reporters will claim the reason vegetarians have less risk of getting vCJD is because they eat more broccoli.