What Does "Abs Are Made in the Kitchen" Mean???

Options
I've seen that a few times on the forum, and I was curious: is there any truth to this? For example if you want flat abs, are there certain foods you cannot eat?

Replies

• nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    It just means you have to drop bodyfat.

The reason is simple. bodyfat will cover over your abs so they can't be seen if you have too high a bodyfat.

There are no special foods. Its all about calorie defecits.

good luck.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    It means a great body is 80% nutrition and only 20% training. No foods guarantee you a flat stomach, some will assist you with reduced bodyfat and/ or increased muscle mass (with the right training, calorie count etc).
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    It refers to abs only being seen when you have a low body fat percentage.
    To get a lower body fat percentage you need to have a calorie deficit which normally requires calorie counting, which is why they're "made in the kitchen".
  • raybuckin
    Options
    The way I understand it, even a 400lb person has a "6 pack", it's just hidden under layers of fat.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    doing situps in the kitchen
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    QFT.
  • kayla554
    kayla554 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

THIS
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

LOL.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Merc is a fountain of knowledge.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    abskitchen_zps508539e8.jpg
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    ALL+THE+WAY+DOWN+.+Yep.Yep_659ab9_4228263.gif
  • GenieBB
    GenieBB Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hahah!!
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    What everyone's said plus, you may have also heard 'you can't out exercise a bad diet' meaning you can't eat junk and hit the gym and expect great results. The junk will put layers of fat over those abs no matter how nicely defined they are under there!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I had alllllll sorts of images going on in my head when I saw the title. Seeing what it means...my imagination was a lot more fun..:tongue:
  • Zumaria1
    Options
    I had alllllll sorts of images going on in my head when I saw the title. Seeing what it means...my imagination was a lot more fun..:tongue:

so sorry to disappoint, lol.
  • Zumaria1
    Options
    abskitchen_zps508539e8.jpg

This pic is priceless!
  • Zumaria1
    Options
    What everyone's said plus, you may have also heard 'you can't out exercise a bad diet' meaning you can't eat junk and hit the gym and expect great results. The junk will put layers of fat over those abs no matter how nicely defined they are under there!

Even if you eat the junk food at a calorie deficit? For example, if I enjoy some chocolate, but its within my daily calorie goals, do you mean that I may lose weight but still have a too high body fat percentage and my abs wont show??
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Even if you eat the junk food at a calorie deficit? For example, if I enjoy some chocolate, but its within my daily calorie goals, do you mean that I may lose weight but still have a too high body fat percentage and my abs wont show??

They mean you cant eat ALL junk food and expect that exercise is going to out-weigh it. You can certainly still lose weight with little indulgence. Its all about moderation, my friend.
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Yes moderation is key! Have a couple of squares a chocolate a day if you have a real sweet tooth and make sure it stays within your cals and macros. For many, many people this is the key to success as most of us would throw in the towel if we feel too denied!
  • Zumaria1
    Options
    Yes moderation is key! Have a couple of squares a chocolate a day if you have a real sweet tooth and make sure it stays within your cals and macros. For many, many people this is the key to success as most of us would throw in the towel if we feel too denied!

That is what I was hoping. I do enjoy a small amount of chocolate as my end of day snack, but I make sure its in my calorie limits. I agree that it keeps me happy and able to continue to eat less calories throughout the day