What's the deal with eggs?

Options
Is it bad to eat two eggs per day for breakfast...my mum is horrified that I have eaten a box of eggs this week (6 eggs) and is adamant its really unhealthy and you're not supposed to eat more than two a week. My dad who works in the sports and nutrition industry also says its not the best daily thing and told me to lay off them a bit! I find they really fill me up, are easy and quick to make and after becoming vegetarian, a nice protein boost :/ thoughts?

Replies

• mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Are you really a vegetarian if you are eating an animals fetus?

edit: inb4 they dont sell fertilized eggs, I know that. Its still half of the formula for a baby chick
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you have high cholesterol then be careful about eating too many yolks, but other than that eat up!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    The newest stuff out there says it's ok to eat them. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much.

Monica
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    If you have high cholesterol then be careful about eating too many yolks, but other than that eat up!

I'd say this.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Even if you have high cholesterol, the vitamin E and HDL LDL balance might be helpful, depending on the rest of your diet.

If in doubt, get your cholesterol checked.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Pretty sure it's only an animal fetus if it's fertilized, and I'm pretty sure most production eggs are not fertilized. Hence, they are an animal's ovum. Now whether eating those makes you a vegetarian, I won't debate. :)
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    When eating lite, I remove the yokes from half of those I cook.
    Usually, I just eat whole eggs with no worries, because the dietary fat and yoke nutrition is very healthy.
  • lucasriggs
    Options

You know of places that sell fertilized chicken eggs:huh: ...nice!
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 per day for breakfast for years. The research saying that eggs were bad for you is now outdated, some folk even consider them a superfood.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Here's a neat little article about a study that came out of Harvard.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/1999/04.22/eggs.html

They did a study over multiple years and it involved one egg and it looks like there's not much of a huge risk.

Monica
  • tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs frequently too. I just stick to the egg whites. Takes the cholesterol out!

I do increase the number of eggs when removing the yolk though. For me 2 eggs with yolk = 3 egg whites!
  • helga205
    helga205 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat has more of an effect on your blood cholestrol, rather than the cholestrol of the food itself. So even though egg yolks have cholestrol, they are quite low in saturated fat.

My view: 2 eggs per day is fine. If you want more, just add egg whites for the protein without the fat in the yolk.

http://www.shape.com/blogs/weight-loss-coach/eating-eggs-bad-smoking
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Is it bad to eat two eggs per day for breakfast...my mum is horrified that I have eaten a box of eggs this week (6 eggs) and is adamant its really unhealthy and you're not supposed to eat more than two a week. My dad who works in the sports and nutrition industry also says its not the best daily thing and told me to lay off them a bit! I find they really fill me up, are easy and quick to make and after becoming vegetarian, a nice protein boost :/ thoughts?

I eat 2 eggs scrambled in butter at least 5x a week. Mine are super fresh from MY chickens in the back yard....
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    When I started working out my trainer suggested that I have 2 boiled eggs and fruit for breakfast everyday - it also worked for me. I then developed a sensitivity to eggs. I laid off the eggs for a few weeks and find that there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing." Regarding my own diet I find that I need some variety, eggs and fruit one day, oatmeal the next, etc., you also have to remember that you may be consuming other foods throughout the day that also contain eggs.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Eggs are the highest quality protein food, but too much of anything can be problematic.

Tell your parents thank you for their advice and then do your research, and make up your own mind about your diet. FWY - A lot of the advise posted on this site is BS.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I have chickens and eat their eggs, those girls earn their keep. I have a rooster, so sometimes they are even fertilized, gasp! One more whole cell for me to nom.

Eggs are fine unless you have a known cholesterol issue. They are a great source of protein (and other nutrients) & are absolutely delicious. Duck eggs are higher in cholesterol, but fantastic for baking. They also have a higher albumen content then chicken eggs do. There are also differences in nutrient content between pasture raised chicken eggs and those fed strictly feed. From Mother Earth News:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2007-10-01/Tests-Reveal-Healthier-Eggs.aspx

I know, it was a tiny study, but compelling nonetheless.

There, all you wanted to know and more about eggs.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Eggs have gotten a little bit of a bad rap over the years for their cholesterol but do a little research instead of accepting a superficial understanding. Cholesterol in eggs does not translate to blood cholesterol levels.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I eat three a day. And dietary cholesterol does not affect the amount of cholesterol in your bloodstream.
  • xRedHeaterx
    xRedHeaterx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have sympathy with the parents, they are concerned and going with what we were told for years. However, even the British Heart Foundation have changed their tune:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7882850.stm
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat 4 at a time...I have never had an issue with eggs, but I suppose if you have some medical issue it could become a problem...