Scared to join a gym... what to do?

Options
A little background:
In high school, 20 years ago, I was a fit, athletic girl. I was also the only female in the weight room. I was laughed at when I first arrived, but once I could bench my weight - I was 126 lbs - no one laughed or paid me any attention. I grew up with 4 older brothers, so being around guys wasn't a big deal to me.
Fast forward past a car accident at age 19, 3 surgeries, depression and 150+ pounds later & I find that I'm terrified to go to the gym. A new Anytime Fitness has just been built about 1.5 miles from my home. I want to sign up, but haven't. I'm terrified to go because I don't want to be laughed at (or at least see or hear them laughing at me) but mostly I'm afraid of injury. I feel like I have brain amnesia, where I won't remember how to use the machines. This is a serious issue for me. I know this is something I should do, because what I've been doing on my own isn't really working. I need help!

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    A lot of seniors go to anytime fitness so you will be a youngster there.Also they give you a free orientation on how to use the machines.Just get on and press quick start is the easiest! Also the current members will help if you ask.Don' t be embarrassed when I started I could only walk 2 minutes on the treadmill.Now I do 30. Just go do it!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    As much as you feel like people are judging you there they aren't. They are usually too concerned with them selves to even notice you. And a lot of people will even respect you as they see you working out. hard. Well hard for you seeing as youve had those injuries. I would go see a dr or a sports therapist about what kind of exercises would be safe for you and at what intensity so you can avoid hurting yourself. The gym really isn't something you need to be afraid of you just need to get back in there and after a little while you'll feel a lot more comfortable.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Go and talk to the gym instructors, say exactly what you have said here and they will help you out. It helps if you have one specific goal to start with e.g. weight loss and they can work on that. Stops you overthinking!
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    By all means go sign up. Talk to the instructors/staff about your concerns (that's why they're there) and they can walk you through how to use the machines, and maybe set you up with a customized program.

As far as what other people may think, 90% of gym goers are serious about being there and are so focused on what they need to do that they aren't paying attention to anyone else. And I can't speak for others but I'm always happy to see new people who are obviously there to change their life.

Good luck.
  • AshleyBananas
    Options
    I live in Florida and found a gym where it's mostly older people, and less hulky guys walking around slamming weights. It's just more mature. Maybe go on a tour of a few different gyms in your area. I also joined a Curves once years ago and had an excellent experience there, I only left because I became pregnant with my son. Anyway, try and find something that gives you good vibes.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents:

Don't worry about other people. It doesn't matter what they are doing or what they are saying. Just worry about yourself, what your doing and what your saying. This is what I would call a life's best practice. It works great at the Gym and at your Job.
  • serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    A little background:
    In high school, 20 years ago, I was a fit, athletic girl. I was also the only female in the weight room. I was laughed at when I first arrived, but once I could bench my weight - I was 126 lbs - no one laughed or paid me any attention. I grew up with 4 older brothers, so being around guys wasn't a big deal to me.
    Fast forward past a car accident at age 19, 3 surgeries, depression and 150+ pounds later & I find that I'm terrified to go to the gym. A new Anytime Fitness has just been built about 1.5 miles from my home. I want to sign up, but haven't. I'm terrified to go because I don't want to be laughed at (or at least see or hear them laughing at me) but mostly I'm afraid of injury. I feel like I have brain amnesia, where I won't remember how to use the machines. This is a serious issue for me. I know this is something I should do, because what I've been doing on my own isn't really working. I need help!

Just go!!! Do it!!!

If anyone makes fun of you, I'll kick their sorry *kitten* for you :)
  • mmmnhmr
    mmmnhmr Posts: 22
    Options
    When you sign up ask them when the "slow" periods are and start going then. As you get more comfortable, you won't be as concerned. And the previous comments are right, people aren't judging you.
  • roadtripper23
    Options
    Believe me the people at the gym are not mean High Schoolers, they are regular working adults who could care less about what YOU are doing. They want to get in do their thing and get out. I live near Des Moines also and I know an Iowan will not treat you badly.