xSveltex Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "My father is a son-of-a-bit#h from Eastern Europe."

- The Education of Robert Nifkin, Daniel Pinkwater
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    'Barabas came to us by sea.'

This is the only opening line that has stuck in my head, though I remember lots of the ones I'm reading here. The opening of Catcher in the Rye just blew me away when I first read it.

It makes me happy to see so much Hitchhiker's and Discworld, and I feel very old thinking that some of you read Holes at school. I helped TEACH Holes at a Pupil Referral Unit (where kids who are expelled are sent while they look for a new school) and the kids loved reading about other kids who were in trouble.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Who is John Galt?

Reading it now!!
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    "The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam, but rather the color of falling snow on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea."

The Last Unicorn, Peter S Beagle

YESSS!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    If you're going to read this, don't bother.
    Sounds like Series of Unfortunate Events, I never did finish that series (series wasn't complete when I read it).
  • p1xelate
    p1xelate Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    "I do not want ten million dollars. I do not want to visit Ireland. I do not want to end a Tobin family feud. And, above all, I do not want to court my eighth cousin, once removed."

Angel Light by Andrew Greely

Read it when I was 12 or 13 but this line never went away just so much WTH lol
  • artemis222
    artemis222 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on earth has ever produced the expression "As pretty as an airport." Airports are ugly. Some are very ugly. Some attain a degree of ugliness that can only be the result of a special effort. This ugliness arises because airports are full of people who are tired, cross, and have just discovered that their luggage has landed in Murmansk (Murmansk airport is the only exception of this otherwise infallible rule), and architects have on the whole tried to reflect this in their designs.

-The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
    Douglas Adams
  • Ekng
    Ekng Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How do people get To this clandestine Archipelago? Hour by hour planes fly there, ships steer their course there and trains thunder off to it-but nary a mark on them to tell of their destination.

Gulag Archipelago
    Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Series of Unfortunate Events, I never did finish that series (series wasn't complete when I read it).

It's from Choke by Chuck Palahniuk.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    k
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

Still sounds like Series of Unfortunate Events
  • veggieshark
    veggieshark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    “I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974.” -- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Yah I thought it was from Series of Unfortunate Events
  • rosesigil
    rosesigil Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on earth has ever produced the expression "As pretty as an airport." Airports are ugly. Some are very ugly. Some attain a degree of ugliness that can only be the result of a special effort. This ugliness arises because airports are full of people who are tired, cross, and have just discovered that their luggage has landed in Murmansk (Murmansk airport is the only exception of this otherwise infallible rule), and architects have on the whole tried to reflect this in their designs.

-The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
    Douglas Adams

Excellent! Best Adams book---if you can, get the book on audio read by the author. His own rendition of the book is superb.
  • rosesigil
    rosesigil Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The primroses were over.

Watership Down
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Once when I was six years old I saw a magnificent picture in a book, called True Stories from Nature, about the primeval forest. It was a picture of a boa constrictor in the act of swallowing an animal.

Le petit prince.

:heart: this.

Saint Exupery, my favorite too. When I looked at the picture for the first time, I thought it was a black hat :)
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    "Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. They were the last people you'd expect to be involved in anything strange or mysterious, because they just didn't hold with such nonsense."

?
    Brilliant!

Truly is... it got millions of kids (and many grown ups) to read all seven HP's.
  • MichaelYoung1976
    Options
    Once upon a time...

Beat me to it :~)
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Yah I thought it was from Series of Unfortunate Events

Well I can't say for certain that line wasn't used in that book because I've never read it, nor have I seen the movie. I can, however, say with confidence that it is the opening line of Choke. I've read it five times and have it sitting next to me on my night stand right now.

See? Seventh one under "C"

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Opening_lines#C
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    "The shell is a command interpreter. More than just the insulating layer between the operating system kernel and the user, it's also a fairly powerful programming language." ~The Advanced Bash Scripting Guide