Calories burned mucking horse stalls?

Options
Anyone have any idea of the calories burned mucking out horse stalls? I mean, that stuff is heavy, you have to push it into piles, heave it on to your mucking shovel, carry it across to the fence, heave it over, repeat until said horse stall is clean. I did this for about 30 minutes tonight. Not sure how to "count" it!

Replies

• truecountrygirl
    truecountrygirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    they have shoveling snow on here. as a girl that has farm animals i know that it is harder sometimes then this but that is what i would put it down as.
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'd go with that too
  • lifechange12
    lifechange12 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agee. Its definately worth something - you are getting your cardio and strenth training in one session:smile:
    Great Job!
  • hsmithway
    Options
    I wore my HRM while doing barn chores the other day, and it told me 1800 calories for about 4 hours and 15 minutes of work. That was leading all the horses out for turnout, cleaning stalls, dumping and refilling water buckets, and throwing down bales of hay. Most of that time, my heart rate was just a little below the target range, and I'm an ~200lb woman.
  • heatherroark
    heatherroark Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I actually just created this exercise yesterday. I have it at 5 calories per minute at a moderate pace - obviously the faster you work the more calories you burn. :) 5 calories per minute is in the middle of cleaning vigorously (house work) and shoveling snow. Hope this helps. :)
  • CowgirlKimi
    CowgirlKimi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi! What can I find this exercise under? I run a horse farm here in Wa State! Any other horsey people wanna be weight loss friends on here? :-)

Lets do this!!!! :-)
    23329547.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • llschnaib
    Options
    I looked this up on another site, and it estimated 92 calories per stall, no matter how fast or slow you worked. Not sure of the veracity of that, but that means cleaning 6 stalls would equal about 552 burned. If you wanted to give it a per minute rate, you could say it's about 9.2 cal/minute. If you go with the per stall number take how many stalls you clean times the 92 divided by how much time it takes to clean them...?
  • KathieG2013
    KathieG2013 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I work in a Thoroughbred stud farm so all that info is GREAT !!!!!!! Thanks a million.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    From a long time Stall Mucker..BTW, my mom mucked stalls...we called her Mother Mucker...

On a serial note...if you have an HRM..wear, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Muck On!
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have horses too and although not in stables, any of the chores are hard work. Carrying bales of hay, buckets of water, leading horses to and from different paddocks, grooming and cleaning out hooves. It's pretty calorie consuming!
  • vharding7
    vharding7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! So glad I found this thread. I've been doing horsey chores and mucking stalls for most of my life so it just never occurred to me that I should log it until today when I was sloshing around in the snow with a shovel filled with horse crap, thinking, "man this is almost as hard as my workout today!" lol :laugh:
  • bladefallcon
    bladefallcon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Did this today for my two horses, while wearing HRM. it took me about 30 minutes for 3 stalls (including carrying the full bucket out to manure pile and dumping. (once after each stall) Using my Runtastic app with my HRM, and telling it I was doing "Aerobics" gave me about 430 calories total.
  • Mamtlin
    Mamtlin Posts: 1
    Options
    I found this website with Counting calories as the barn: http://www.equisearch.com/horses_riding_training/training/general/countingcalories_122006/
    Hope this helps!
  • ksb1957
    ksb1957 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    as a fellow shoveler..............lol..........I can only say........look up calories for shoveling snow........also heavy........but for whatever reason...you cannot find it shoveling apples....which is theraputic........and when I get my best ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I totally painted a room yesterday. I can log that, right?
  • annaldora
    annaldora Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was looking for how many calories burned mucking/cleaning stalls online and these posts came up. I found this, not sure if it helps or if you need it any longer.....

Calories Burned Mucking Stalls

By Jerry Tardif

A question that seems to be asked quite a bit recently is "How many calories are burned cleaning stalls?" Of course, when you think about it, this inquiry makes a lot of sense. After all, we've got to clean the abrn anyway, so if we can identify some ways it does us some additional good other than equine hygeine for our horses, that's an extra plus. So I went about quantifying the energy used so we could have some insight into the health benefits.

Calories burned is a function of the task you're doing and many related variables. Here are the primary variables one needs to consider when mucking a stall:

The size of the stall and how much waste and soiled bedding you need to remove;
    Whether the waste and soiled bedding is on top of a smooth surface (concrete, a stall mat, etc.), or a more difficult surface to clean. In the case of dirt-floor stalls, you have to break up, loosen, and remove the soiled dirt as well and that is not usually easy work;
    Whether you do a thorough job or a superficial and quick one;
    Your weight;
    Additional calories burned to carry in and spread fresh bedding; and
    How many stalls you have to clean?
    This analysis is not something that I've seen written about before, but by using some proxies, I think we can get a fair estimate.

Let's assume you clean the way you shovel snow, that you do a fairly good job, and that it takes about 10 minutes per stall. This includes removing waste products and soiled bedding, replacing the bedding and spreading it around the stall, at least emptying and rinsing the water pail and then refilling it, and then placing a couple of hay flakes in the stall. That should at least get us into the "ballpark". Look for your weight below to see the calories burned per stall:

Your Weight Calories Burned per Stall
    90 lbs. 41
    100 lbs. 46
    110 lbs. 50
    120 lbs. 55
    130 lbs. 59
    140 lbs. 64
    150 lbs. 69
    160 lbs. 73
    170 lbs. 78
    180 lbs. 82
    190 lbs. 87
    200 lbs. 92
    210 lbs. 96
    220 lbs. 101
    230 lbs. 105
    240 lbs. 110
    250 lbs. 115

Multiply the number of calories times the number of stalls you're going to clean to get an estimate of the calories you'll burn. So if you weigh 130 pounds and clean nine stalls, you'll burn about 530 calories in 90 minutes. Of course, if you do fewer tasks than outlined, the number of calories burned will be less per stall. Conversely, being more thorough on one or more tasks will take a little longer and will also increase the num,ber of calories burned per stall. But these numbers are likely a good average for a starting point.

Finally, the number of calories burned per stall will be about the same whether you work quickly or slowly; your pace will just determine how long it takes you to do all the stalls you have to do.

Maybe if some of us "add" it to the exercise section, maybe it will be there for others to use! Best wishes!!

~Ann
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I totally painted a room yesterday. I can log that, right?

You could, but that's nowhere near the calorie burn as shoveling.
  • ekfulton
    ekfulton Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have always logged by barn time as gardening. Between stalls, grooming, hay bale lifting, and riding (when everything else is done) you can burn a lot of calories.
  • MMDrum
    MMDrum Posts: 2
    Options
    Calorie Counter

Hi, MMDrum10HelpFollow Us:

MY HOMEFOODEXERCISEREPORTSAPPSCOMMUNITYBLOG

HomeProfileMy BlogFriends

Your Daily Summary

0 lbs
    LOST

CALORIES REMAINING

Add FoodAdd Exercise

1390GOAL

1145FOOD

-

911EXERCISE

=

234NET

News FeedView : Summary

MMDrum So glad im not on crack... been pushing poop most of my life and I was second guessing the web sites and there calorie per stall.. impressive..

Like · Comment · a few seconds ago

Remove

faithfuleq completed her food and exercise diary for 1/08/2014 and was under her calorie goal

Like · Comment · 1 minute ago

MMDrum burned 911 calories doing 105 minutes of cardio exercises, including "cleaning stalls / barn"

Like · Comment · 27 minutes ago

faithfuleq burned 522 calories doing 46 minutes of cardio exercises, including "Jillian Michaels Shred it with Weight, using hand weight"

Like · Comment · 9 hours ago

faithfuleq completed her food and exercise diary for 1/07/2014 and was under her calorie goal

Like · Comment · 23 hours ago

MMDrum If you go to settings and scroll to the bottom and select my exercise s you can add barn chores.. stalls and stuff is basically about 200 calories per hour... I will see if I can find an accurate resource for the calorie count

11 hours ago · Like · Delete

MMDrum burned 1,003 calories doing 90 minutes of Barn Chores

Like · Comment · 1 day ago

faithfuleq My page wont let me pull up Barn Chores!!! and I did 4 hours worth today!!!

1 day ago · Like · Delete

faithfuleq burned 1,879 calories doing 265 minutes of cardio exercises, including "Walking, carrying infant or 15-lb load"

Like · Comment · 2 days ago

faithfuleq completed her food and exercise diary for 1/06/2014 and was under her calorie goal

faithfuleq If shivering burns calories then bring on the cold weather!

faithfuleq burned 187 calories doing 35 minutes of cardio exercises, including "Stretching, hatha yoga"

MMDrum Yes.. bad breakfast... but I figured 3 h of barn chores in this freakish cold would work it right off. ;)

MMDrum burned 1,967 calories doing 280 minutes of cardio exercises, including "Barn Chores"

rabickfo lost 10 lbs since her last weigh-in! Rabickfo's lost 19 lbs so far.

Like · Comment · 2 weeks ago

rabickfo lost 6.6 lbs since her last weigh-in! Rabickfo's lost 9 lbs so far.

Like · Comment · 2 months ago

bboulden completed her food and exercise diary for 10/09/2013

Like · Comment · 3 months ago

rabickfo lost 0.8 lbs since her last weigh-in! Rabickfo's lost 2.4 lbs so far.

Like · Comment · 4 months ago

Show More

Recent Forum TopicsView All

Sleepy...What am I doing wrong?

Siently creep, creepy PM, or FR the person above you?

Pass, Hug, Spank, Dance, Marry or Date

Getting rid of muffin top/belly fat and thigh fat!?

Hey all, needing motivation

MyFitnessPal NewsView All14 Food & Nutrition Trends for 2014

A recent poll of 500 Registered Dietitians, conducted by Today's Dietitian and Pollock Communications, unveiled a forecast for the top food and nutrition trends of 2014. Here's a recap of what's to come this year: 
    Read more

Popular Blog PostsView AllC25K Update - 30% complete

Well, I am officially done the first 8 C25K workouts using the 5K...Posted on 01/08/2014 by Wolfe1759

JFDI

I need to stop pfaffing around and take my own advice from the pa...Posted on 01/08/2014 by SkimFlatWhite68

The New Year

I have many things to look forward to in this new year and am REA...Posted on 01/08/2014 by rwatkins82

Calorie Counter  Blog  Terms  Privacy  Contact Us  API  Jobs  Feedback  Brands  Community Guidelines

Copyright 2005-2014 MyFitnessPal, Inc.

SheKnows Health & Beauty

English Deutsch Español Français Português (Brasil) Italiano Norsk Nederlands Pусский Svensk DanskHelp Us Translate
  • MMDrum
    MMDrum Posts: 2
    Options
    Post fail.. :( sorry. Newbie to forum! Thanks for the info!