Fave Quinoa recipes

Options
Melatonin
Melatonin Posts: 156 Member
I'm trying to find new ways to get in some quinoa. I mainly use it with my salad or mix it in with my rice. Any other ideas?

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
  • cielbee
    cielbee Posts: 62
    Options
    This is one of my favorite salads: http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2010/03/29/curried-quinoa-salad-mango/ I leave the spinach out and put it under the salad on the plate or bowl instead.
  • Sherry2555
    Sherry2555 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i just made Quinoa for the first time....its different but I like it. I made it with smoked turkey sausage, onions, mushrooms, bell pepper, zuccinni and spicy diced tomatoes (canned).

I do have a question on it....the serving size on the bag is 1/4 cup--is that measured after cooking or before cooking?
  • juliedor
    juliedor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorites.Cranberry,pinenut and Quinoa salad.
    1 cup quinoa, 1 cup cranberries,1/2 cup green beans blanched and chopped.
    1/4 cup pinenuts chopped,1/4 cup green onions sliced,1/4 cup balsamic vinegar,
    1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil,4 cloves garlic minced,pinch salt and pepper.
    Combine quinoa with two cups water in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil.Reduce heat and simmer cover and continue cooking until the water is absorbed.In a medium bowl combine cooked quinoa,dried cranberries,green beans,pine nuts,green onions until well mixed.In a small bowl whisk balsamic vinegar,olive oil and garlic until well blended.Pour over the quinoa toss until well blended season with salt and pepper.Chill for 30 mins.Serve.
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    I have mixed it into meat loaf and/or meatballs. They come out moist and tasty. It's a great way to stretch out some ground beef while also reducing fat calories.

Today I mixed half cup of quinoa with black beans and some cumin and oregano. I topped that with fresh salsa, light sour cream, and a little avocado. Yum.

Those pizza bites look pretty amazing...
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    My husband and I really like this vegetarian Quinoa and Black Bean Chili:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-bean-chili/detail.aspx
  • lpoe701
    Options
    before cooked.
  • kdgirard
    Options
    I add it to stews, use it instead of rice...

When we are doing Greek, I do lemon Quinoa... Zest the lemon (you will add this at the end) cook the quinoa in a mixture of lemon juice and chicken stock (Squeeze one lemon, then the rest of the fluid is chicken stock)

I also did a Quinoa/blackbean stew which I am taking for lunch...

Stir-fry whatever veggies you want to use (I used red & yellow peppers, zucchini, celery, brocolli, garlic, onion)
    Use Chicken Stock or Veggie Stock for fluid - 2 cups fluid, 1 cup quinoa, add 1 can Aylmers Accents tomatoes (whatever flavour you want), add 1 can black beans and the stir-fried veggies, and cook all together for the 15 minutes needed to cook the quinoa. If you want to add a bite, you could put in a bit of salsa, or add some spices.

Depending on the tomatoes, you may need to take the lid off and let some of the liquid cook off afterwards.

I also like to add 1/4 of chopped avocado to mine.
  • MrsCassieThreatt
    MrsCassieThreatt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I made butternut squash quinoa coquettes this week. I roasted the squash, sauteed cauliflower, artichoke hearts and then cooked my quinoa. I added it all together seasoned to taste pile into the coquette's and sprinkled with little bit of mozzarella.
  • kdgirard
    Options
    Here is another great one: Mexican Salad

Mexican Salad

1 19 oz tin of black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 tin of niblets corn, drained and rinsed
    1 red pepper – large dice
    2 medium tomatoes diced (or cherry tomatoes)
    6 green onions, finely chopped (or one medium white onion – diced)
    1 avocado (if not serving right away – add just prior to serving)
    1/3 cup lime juice
    ½ cup olive oil
    1 tsp sea salt
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 clove garlic – pressed or finely chopped

Optional Feta cheese

In salad bowl combine beans, corn, pepper, tomatoes, onions and cheese (if using) Combine lime juice, oil, garlic, salt and cayenne pepper in small jar and shake – pour over salad before serving.
  • lpoe701
    Options
    Quinoa stuffed Portabella Mushroom.

1 Portabella Mushroom 20 calories
    1/4 cup Mozzarella (2%) 70 calories
    1/4 cup Rotel Tomatoes (HOT) 15 calories
    1/2 cup cooked Quinoa 110 calories
    1 scallion

Remove stem from mushroom. Cut it up and cut up the scallion. Add these to cooked quinoa along with Rotel Tomatoes. Stir together and then place on top of the mushroom. Add mozzarella to the top and grill for 10 minutes or heat on Broil until the cheese melts. Delicious meal for less than 225 calories.

I played around with quinoa and made this. My husband LOVED it!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Another Mexican-esque quinoa recipe:

Black quinoa
    Chopped avocado
    Sweet corn kernels
    Chopped red pepper
    Lemon juice
  • go3gurl2go1
    Options
    Bump! Glad you asked because I could use some ideas as well!

I usually do quinoa, steamed veggies, and chicken...sort of like a rice bowl.

Gotta try pizza bites though! :)
  • fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Options
    These all sound so good!
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I made some for dinner tonight and have some leftover so will try some of these ideas.
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yum, yum, yum!
  • st3f4real
    st3f4real Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We made a ham in the Crockpot Sunday night with 2 cups brown sugar pressed on the bottom of the crockpot and poured the juice from a can of pineapple juice over it. Cooked the already cooked spiral ham on High for 4 hours.

Chopped up the ham and mixed it in with some pre-rinsed quinoa and frozen peas that I had already cooked with 1 cube of boullion.

My husband and I have been eating this quinoa all week for lunch (IT IS DELICIOUS!!!) and then we are making ham and low-skim mozzarella ham and cheese sandwiches with olive oil on the foreman grill for dinner with tomato soup on 45 cal Sarah lee bread.
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options

THOSE LOOK AWESOME!! :)
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I can't see to put my hands on the recipe right this moment... but I have a tupperware breakfast cooker and there's a recipe for quinoa in there that is soooo yummy! Will look more and then post, I hope! :)