Low carb breakfast ideas please

profjan6
profjan6 Posts: 333
edited September 20 in Recipes
Need to go low carb (virtually NO carb) for health reasons. Need some alternatives to eggs for breakfast. Any help would be appreciated!!

Replies

• miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Here are a couple stuff I have for brekfast.

I also have a banana every morning before my workout, so I dont workout on an empty stomach

1. 100 calorie bagel and cream chease ( bagel only has 32g carbs and the cream cheese has none)
    2. regular cheerios and milk (I use to use soy milk, now I use the almond milk) cheerios only has 20 g of carbs

Not sure if that is low enough for you, but hope it helps
  • GTalley
    GTalley Posts: 2 Member
    Here are a couple NO CARB possibilities. I took a South Beach recipe and tweaked it a little. Use either egg beaters or regular eggs ( I use a little of both) Add whatever veggies or meat and cheese or all. Bake in muffin tin, spray it with Pam. I usually use broccoli, onion, peppers and cheese. This will keep in the fridge all week, so you can just microwave. Also I have just tried the Greek yogurt, very good. I also have cottage cheese and pineapple, sometimes I'll sweeten with a little splenda and cinnamon. Hope these help.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    That's a tuffie! The only thing (besides what has already been mentioned) I can think of would be protein mixes from the health food store. I used to buy vanilla and add sugar free syrups from www.davincigourmet.com for variety, they have every flavor you can think of. And that way you don't have to spend so much on the protein mixes to get variety. Or you can use different deli meats and cheese and make a roll. I used to eat those when I was avoiding all carbs. The laughing cow cheese is good spread on deli meat and rolled also.
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Nimble Wholemeal bread (I'm not sure if you have it in America but it's Hovis) is 8 grams of carbohydrate per slice- which is pretty low carb for bread! You could have this with some turkey rashers (again, don't know if you have them in america but it's like bacon made from turkey instead of pork) or just actual bacon I guess, cheese, mushrooms,.... I guess you must be getting pretty bored of eggs then!!!! Or just don't have bread and have turkey rashers, mushrooms and tomatoes- a grilled, nice breakfast! x
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Nimble Wholemeal bread (I'm not sure if you have it in America but it's Hovis) is 8 grams of carbohydrate per slice- which is pretty low carb for bread! You could have this with some turkey rashers (again, don't know if you have them in america but it's like bacon made from turkey instead of pork) or just actual bacon I guess, cheese, mushrooms,.... I guess you must be getting pretty bored of eggs then!!!! Or just don't have bread and have turkey rashers, mushrooms and tomatoes- a grilled, nice breakfast! x
  • jerzeegyrl
    jerzeegyrl Posts: 2 Member
    I know some people can't eat a hearty meal for breakfast, but if you can, what about a soup? One with meat and loads of veggies. Here's a website with soups and other recipes. http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/soup_recipes.html
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Healthy Life Whole Wheat 35 calorie bread has 5g net carb, so if that's low enough, you might like using it to make an open sandwich with your favorite meat and cheese, or toast it and spread with cream cheese. I like using it to make French toast using egg whites.

You also might get some ideas at: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/menus/a/breakfastmenus.htm
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Smoked salmon, tinned herring, corned beef, crustless quiche, omelettes...

If you're staying very low carb, you're limited to meat, eggs, and some low GI vegetables (greens, mainly). I'd avoid grains, dairy as they're higher in the carb scheme.
  • Tim964
    Tim964 Posts: 36 Member
    This is technically a desert, but I love it for breakfast - it has carbs, but they are relatively low.

PUMPKIN BAKE
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    5 eggs
    1/2 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
    15 ounce can pumpkin
    1 1/2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Put the cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat well. Pour into a 6x8" greased glass baking dish. Bake at 350 about 40 minutes or until the center feels firm and a knife inserted in the center comes out relatively clean. Cool, then chill before serving.

Makes 6 servings
    Do not freeze

With granular Splenda:
    Per Serving: 228 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
    Per Serving: 220 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
This discussion has been closed.