Scary side to losing weight

Options
OK. I know losing weight is awesome for my health and well-being. However, I was just curious, those that have lost a significant amount of weight...did your skin go back, or do you have excess? I am in need of losing over 100lbs and I fear that I will end up with a lot of sagging skin that will cause irritation, etc.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    At your age and that amount of weight, if you aim for healthy weight loss, ( 2 lbs a week) you should be fine. Eat good, healthy foods and drink a lot of water , and exercise will help.
  • mbuczkowski
    Options
    I just saw another post about this in another area.....sorry.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have loose skin. But I dont care. I plan on a tummy tuck when I get to my goal.
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have lost 90lbs to date and yes, I do have sagging skin on my thighs. It is not enough to cause irritation, but it is really ugly. I knew this would probably happen and I feel it is worth all the pros. I am 56 so I am sure the older a person is the worse it is.
  • lissavlog
    Options
    i have some loose skin. nothing i lose sleep over.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I have alot of extra skin on my tummy but I had twins in 2005 who combined weight over 14lbs.
    I think alot of my issues come from that, but I do hope to get a tummy tuck! I am starting to work alot more on toning and my abs, so I hope that helps some. I also need my abs sewn back together from pregnancy, sigh!
  • kittycatkay
    kittycatkay Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    some loose skin > being overweight
  • whitesox56
    Options
    I lost like 110 lbs and didn't have any issues with loose skin..I don't know where my excess fat went however :) LOL
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    Strength train to help tighten up your skin as you get smaller, it's the best way to prevent & slowly decrease the amount of skin that you have. There are a lot of people who end up with saggy skin because they only did cardio. Have a balanced workout of lifting & cardio & you'll be okay. :smile:
  • bdunt2646
    bdunt2646 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i have read that lifting heavy will help to tighten skin... but do it throughout yur weightloss journey!!! dont wait until the weight is gone to begin lifting... obviously, start with what you can lift and increase accordingly... but DEF strength train throughout your journey... i too have a lot of weight to lose, i fear loose skin.. so hopefully what i have read is true lol
  • gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would rather have bags of loose skin than paddings of flab. Maybe that is just me! (I do have some loose skin and I wear it with pride :smile: )
  • daffyduck2012
    Options
    I have alot of extra skin on my tummy but I had twins in 2005 who combined weight over 14lbs.
    I think alot of my issues come from that, but I do hope to get a tummy tuck! I am starting to work alot more on toning and my abs, so I hope that helps some. I also need my abs sewn back together from pregnancy, sigh!
  • daffyduck2012
    Options
    lol i dont have kids....quoted the wrong one!
  • daffyduck2012
    Options
    some loose skin > being overweight
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I used to take pride in my ability to down a beer or 50...I had a gut that looked like I was pregnant with triplet bears. Im 41. It seems like a shed weight in cycles, and after a cycle of losing some weight, my stomach looks a little like a plastic grocery sack with a grapefruit in it...but then over the course of about a month the skin seems to tighten up. I'm losing weight at a moderate pace, but so far so good...I too, am a little concerned I'll have loose skin after, but let me get down to the weight I want, before I start thinking about that.
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    very possibly you will end up with loose skin but the more exercise you do to target those areas as your losing weight you will have more chance of toning evenly.Im surprised how my body shape is changing and will continue to work on those wobbly bits haha.
  • freenewme
    freenewme Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i am almost 27 years old lost 240lbs i worked out and drank lots of water. i was over weight most of life prior to losing weight. it took me about 4 years to lose the weight. i have loose skin. on every part of my body. if i could ever save enough money i will have it removed but right now i just live with it bc i would rather have the skin than be dead, bc i would have been at the rate i was going. at 17 years old i was around 400lbs.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!