Not working out so far ... Why?

Options
Joined in May,but very spotty until Jan 2. I bounced from172-179 depending on my focus. I gained about 5llbs holidays and thought it would fall off quickly after I got serious on Jsn 2; Been NETTING 1500-1650 most days (ok, only aboutba week) and working out. Scale has not really budged!! I am 5'5 180lbs and 39!(almost). Have a desk job, but 3 kids under 6-4-2'. Am I eating to much? I was actually weighing less when NOT tracking! It is new for me ( this time) but have been doing mix of 30DS, pilates and walk/run intervals for 30 min. About 3-4 work outs a week. Any feedback is appreciated. I know it has not been long, but do let me know if my calorie net sounds too high.

Replies

• Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    So what you're saying is that you've only been 100% dedicated a week and are wondering why you haven't seen results?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    You need to give it more time. It's been all of a week since you "got serious" on Jan 2. I seriously doubt you're eating too much … too little, maybe, but not too much. Check out the eat more to weigh less group if you're interested in that line of thinking. But for now, I would suggest to give it more time. It might take a couple of weeks to see results.
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Just give it some time. Let your body figure out what is happening. It might take a few weeks maybe even a month or two to see real loss on the scale. Measure your progress in other ways like how you feel how your clothes fit, how much stronger you are getting, how much easier workouts are becoming!
  • JasonsSoulMate
    JasonsSoulMate Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just had a quick look at your diary.... one word SODIUM!!! You are eating a LOT of processed foods with high sodium. To counteract this you need to drink LOTS and LOTS of water to flush it. Maybe try cutting that down for a start?? I know it's not easy to change your eating habits over night, trust me I know this, but salt will cause your body to retain water so it is possible that what you are seeing is a lot of water weight and the only way to lose it is to lose the salt.
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Your sodium intake is kind of high which can result in water retention. Plus you need to give it more than a week.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Give it 12 weeks, and then readjust as needed. It's impossible to gauge effectiveness in such a short time period.

In the mean time: Track your food accurately (by weight if possible); Be persistent with the workouts; Have patience.

You can do this.
  • kumica
    kumica Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm in a similar situation. 5'3", 162lbs and just turned 40 last week. I'm a mother of 4 as well. I know my numbers are a little off of yours, but I do know that I wouldn't lose any weight at those calorie counts. Is that what MFP recommended? I started Rockin' body last week for my workouts. I also know that I really have to watch my carbs. Make sure that you are having protein after your workouts too. I hope this helps! I know how frustrating it is when the scale doesn't move!!! I also noticed that in the last couple of years that it's been so much harder to get weight off. I think it comes with the age we're at, unfortunately!
  • SweetLillyM
    Options
    Watch your sodium intake and drink lots of water!!
  • ilikecats01
    ilikecats01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Agree with the other posters. You need to give it more time. Keep at it.
  • kjbutcher
    Options
    if you are sitting most of the day you may only be burning 1700 or so calories per day and if you are eating 1650 calories per day, you only have a deficit of 50 calories per day. you need a 3500 calorie deficit to lose one pound. your walking/ running for a half hour is probably burning about 250 calories so you are at 300 calories per day deficit, meaning it will take you 11 days to lose a pound. The new fit bits are $59, might help you out in gettting it all figured out.
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You gotta be patient. It took you months to gain weight, you can not expect to just lose it all quickly. Slow weightloss is the best because at that rate it tends to stay lost. Adjust little things... decrease sodium, boost protein, eat more real foodies.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Try adjust down cal and definitely cutting sodium in half. If you stick more with fresh & non-processed foods, you will find the scale dropping...giving you momentum. Read EVERY label. You will be shocked at how much added sodium and sugars there are!
  • sara1077
    sara1077 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!! In did not think at all about sodium ... Will watch that. I know itbhas only been 1 week and time will tell. Justbwanted to know if perhaps I should net 1350 - 1400. I guess I will give it a at least a month before goingndwn.

I have it set to 1lb loss, lightly active, but thinking i should put sedentary if i am eating exercise calories.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!! In did not think at all about sodium ... Will watch that. I know itbhas only been 1 week and time will tell. Justbwanted to know if perhaps I should net 1350 - 1400. I guess I will give it a at least a month before goingndwn.

I have it set to 1lb loss, lightly active, but thinking i should put sedentary if i am eating exercise calories.

I think you should read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing the next right thing, and let's see where you are in 3 months.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

How are you figuring your exercise burns, do you use a HRM? If you are going by MFP or the computer on the machines, your burn numbers may be greatly inflated. They have been known to give up to twice as many cals as you actually burn. Try eating just a flat 1500 a day without adding back cals, or change setting to sedentary and only eat half of cals back. Most people looking to lose on here don't eat all their cals back, usually only a portion.

Be consistent and patient, And trial and error to find the perfect range for you.
  • sara1077
    Options
    No hrm, but thinking of one now! In had asked for one for Xmas. I did read the roadmap, that is why in tried 1500 instead of 1350. I got Bmr of 1400 (using the body fat calculator) and I think sedentary TDEE was 1830ish?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If you use the road map plan, you do NOT eat back your calories. You just stick with the same number everyday. Your exercise is already factored in.
  • cheryl529h
    cheryl529h Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What is the RMP (Road Map Plan)? I'm new and haven't figured out all of the acronyms yet. :)
  • sara1077
    Options
    What is the RMP (Road Map Plan)? I'm new and haven't figured out all of the acronyms yet. :)

Cheryl -- there is a link to it earlier in this discussion. I've read it dozens of times, but I can't figure out if I should be sedentary or lightly active. Plus, I like the motivation of eating back my exercise calories (which I know you do not do with that). I think I just need to make sure I'm not eating back too many of them! I feel like the calories I put in are pretty conservative, but better to be sure.