Starvation Mode

Options
Just curious about your opinion with regards to the body going into starvation mode from eating too few calories. When this happens does your body tend to stop losing weight? I guess my question is how would you know?

Replies

• sky379
    sky379 Posts: 46
    Options
    This is def. what happened to me. I always thought I had a good understanding of calorie deficits and nutrition. I was always under the impression that you lose weight if you exercise and eat less, but if you body is not getting enough calories and nutrition it will hold on to the food you are eating rather than burning those calories, causing you to gain weight. I gained 5 lbs when I wasn't eating enough for the amount I was exercising. Even though you may not be "starving" yourself and think you are eating enough, your body will go into starvation mode if it is not getting enough.
    For example, if your body requires 1600 calories to maintain your weight and you are working out, burning an average of 500 calories and you are only eating around 1000 calories a day, you have a deficit of 1100 and after a long enough time (a few days, probably a week) your body will hold on to everything it gets causing you to gain weight. I know this all just from personal experience, but I'm sure you can find a more scientific explanation of it.
  • coold
    coold Posts: 85
    Options
    K....so to prevent this....eat to your calorie amount for the day...and eat back your exercise calories????? (should we still try to stay under our calorie intake? is it ok to go slightly over??? UGH) lol
  • sky379
    sky379 Posts: 46
    Options
    K....so to prevent this....eat to your calorie amount for the day...and eat back your exercise calories????? (should we still try to stay under our calorie intake? is it ok to go slightly over??? UGH) lol

I would just follow whatever your profile says, but make sure to eat your exercise calories. I know it sounds like a crazy idea to eat what you are burning, but the site already factors this in. If you exercise more, you can eat more, because you need energy/fuel (calories) to be able to function and actually have energy to work out. I wouldn't go more than 100 calories under or over what your net calories say.
  • coold
    coold Posts: 85
    Options

I would just follow whatever your profile says, but make sure to eat your exercise calories. I know it sounds like a crazy idea to eat what you are burning, but the site already factors this in. If you exercise more, you can eat more, because you need energy/fuel (calories) to be able to function and actually have energy to work out. I wouldn't go more than 100 calories under or over what your net calories say.
    Thanks!!!! This is a chore!!!! I'm sure I'll be thankful that i joined eventually!!! Just realizing what i WAS eating and what that would have meant had I continued into my 40's the same .....2.gif
  • cherylcole15
    Options
    I'm having big problems getting my head around this! It feels like a huge achievement to come in under your calorie goal for the day and it feels like such a knock-back to me to be eating the calories I've just burned off when exercising! It all feels so wrong! But ultimately I don't want to do anything that may jeopardize my weight loss so I'm trying to (roughly) hit the calorie target each day WITHOUT eating naughty things because I've got so many calories stored up!

Aim for your calorie goal, but I reckon it's best not to eat anything at all than stock up on treats because you feel like you earned it by having loads of calories left. Nuts (I do pistachios) and oatcakes with low fat cream cheese are my ways of filling up the calories.
  • LycraLegs
    LycraLegs Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Booo! I hate this idea, which is bound to mean its true!
    I rarely eat my excercise cals, and I would rather eat less and not excercise, I only excercise to rack up the numbers and therefore the feelgood factor! Im eating often though, can that make a difference? This week was my first week and I lost quite a bit, so I will monitor myself and eat more if I stop seeing positive results. :o/
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Well to help, think of it like this: Your goal is no less than 1200 otherwise you will go into starvation mode. Assuming you eat 1200 and excercise 300, really your body is only getting 900 cals for that day. not good. So either eat more on the days you work out or don't work out and eat regular. Hope it helps.
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    I'd like to thank everyone for their opinions. So, is the consensus about starvation mode in the body when you stop losing weight minimally and maybe you start gaining whilst eating few calories?