Numbness/tingling during workouts?

Options
So I have been slowly working up to being more active. For about 3 months I have been walking/jogging averaging about 3.5 mph about 3-5 miles 2-4 times per week. However, in the last month I have started to try more intense workouts. For example I tried running a mile, tried insanity, zumba, etc. The problem is when I do any type of workout that is more intense than walking fast, my body gets a tingling/numb feeling not just in my arms and legs but also my face will tingle. I drink plenty of water and am staying in a good calorie range and I can get through the workout. Like today I finished an insanity workout, but literally by the end of it my body was so numb/tingly that when i sat down I felt like I was going to pass out. This sensation lasts for about 30-45 minutes after I complete my workout before it goes away. Is this normal because I am pushing myself harder?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    have you seen your doctor to get the OK before starting exercising?

tingling i'd say is normal because of the bloodflow, but numbness i dont think is
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor....
    Everyone (even the young and healthy) should be checked out by doc before engaging in intense exercise. This is why high school sports require a physical.

It is possible to have an hidden / undiagnosed heart problem that only shows up when the heart is stressed
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Are you using a pre workout drink. I get this sensation when i use something with niacin in it
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    My fingers and hands almost fall asleep when I walk for a long time. When I finally realized what was happening, I began making a point to swing my arms higher or bend my arms at the elbows, or just squeezing and wiggling my fingers. It's made a big difference.

I do sometimes get a tingly feeling on my cheeks and above my lip when I push myself hard. But I get that exact same thing when I drink alcohol, so I'm sure it's a blood-flow thing.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I've been told if your skin feels itchey or like pin prick, it is a sign of toxin build up leaving the body. If this is what your feeling drink more water.
  • Shesallsmilez
    Shesallsmilez Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I called and made an appointment with my dr. I have not been drinking anything before a work out other than water and the numbness seems to be getting worse with every workout, so going to take a break until I can get everything checked out and make sure I'm good. Thank you for all your responses and suggestions, I really appreciate it!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Definitely see your doctor! You could also have cirulation issues which coincide with these types of sensations.

I have an undiagnosed auto-immune disorder and I have frequently have my hands or legs fall asleep when it's not normal to and have sharp prickling or electrical sensations in my hands, arms, legs and feet. Using myself as an example, you can never know if it's normal or something serious when that happens unless you speak with a doctor.