New Rules of Lifting (For Women)

Options
So, I'm very interested in starting to "lift heavy," but I'm a total newbie. So my questions are as follows;

1) Does the book explain what I need to do in enough detail that someone who doesn't even know what a "squat rack" is will figure it out?

2) Or did you need additional instruction? It's not a deal breaker but it'd be good to know, though I'm sure a gym induction might be able to help me out a bit here.

3) Did you see success?

4) I've always been a bit intimidated by the free weights sections of gyms (because omg the testosterone is literally frightening) what was your experience with this for ladies?

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I haven't read it and am not a lady, but I bet the answers are mostly

1. Yes

2. Probably not much. You can also make vids of yourself doing the lifts and post for form checks.

3. Yes

4. Don't worry about it
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Haha quick summary ;)
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    There is at least one group on here for ladies doing new rules. Also you could consider reading the book Starting Strength. It has very detailed instruction on core lifts. My wife read it and nothing else and walked into the gym first time doing barbell back squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent over rows, and overhead press with only minor form checks and correction from me.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested in this.... :)

I'm going to buy it in about a week, so if you haven't already gotten it I"ll let you know! (FR sent)
  • xxvogue
    Options
    There is at least one group on here for ladies doing new rules. Also you could consider reading the book Starting Strength. It has very detailed instruction on core lifts. My wife read it and nothing else and walked into the gym first time doing barbell back squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent over rows, and overhead press with only minor form checks and correction from me.

I will definitely also check that one out!
  • Backous21
    Options
    If you belong to a gym, you should most defiantly get additional instruction if you're planning on lifting heavy. You should mainly do this to get someone to make sure that your form is good, because the last thing you want is to get injured and not be able to exercise. I would do a period of endurance training (all exercises 13+ reps) for about 4 weeks starting out. Mainly because you will learn the form safely because you'll be using much lower weight. Getting into free weights will be extremely beneficial to you, especially from a toning stand point. You can do all of the cardio you want, but muscle tone comes from resistance training.

Also, if you do decide to get help from a trainer, here are some tips,
    1) Take every stereotype about trainers you know...and forget them.
    If what you want is an educational experience, your trainer will do just that. It isn't about someone yelling at you to "do one more."
    2) DO NOT be afraid to ask questions.
    Pretty self-explanatory. If you have a specific question, ask it. There are no dumb questions.
    3) Find a trainer with a decent education.
    A degree isn't a must have, but it does say a lot. Ask about their certification. CPT, A-CPT, ACSM Personal Trainers, and NPTI Trainers are a few that are generally credible.
    4) Get a trainer that has a similar personality to yourself.
    Bottom line, if you don't get along, you won't enjoy yourself.

Hope this helps.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Strongish first post
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    1) Does the book explain what I need to do in enough detail that someone who doesn't even know what a "squat rack" is will figure it out? - yes. the one thing that the book isn't so clear on pointin out is that you should try to increase your weights with every workout.

2) Or did you need additional instruction? It's not a deal breaker but it'd be good to know, though I'm sure a gym induction might be able to help me out a bit here. - possibly. some of the movements you might need help with like squats (how to go deep enough to work your hams and glutes) deadlifts, 1 arm DB snatches, etc. just so you can see what the proper form is

3) Did you see success? yes, but i guess it depends on what you define as success. you will get stronger and you will lots of body recomposition in terms of fat loss.

4) I've always been a bit intimidated by the free weights sections of gyms (because omg the testosterone is literally frightening) what was your experience with this for ladies? guys dont bite.mot people are just too busy getting their workouts in to pay you any attention. at least they do a pretty good job of acting like they arent paying attention but once you go there on a regular basis people will notice all kinds of thing about your workout :laugh:
  • xxvogue
    Options
    If you belong to a gym, you should most defiantly get additional instruction if you're planning on lifting heavy. You should mainly do this to get someone to make sure that your form is good, because the last thing you want is to get injured and not be able to exercise. I would do a period of endurance training (all exercises 13+ reps) for about 4 weeks starting out. Mainly because you will learn the form safely because you'll be using much lower weight. Getting into free weights will be extremely beneficial to you, especially from a toning stand point. You can do all of the cardio you want, but muscle tone comes from resistance training.

Also, if you do decide to get help from a trainer, here are some tips,
    1) Take every stereotype about trainers you know...and forget them.
    If what you want is an educational experience, your trainer will do just that. It isn't about someone yelling at you to "do one more."
    2) DO NOT be afraid to ask questions.
    Pretty self-explanatory. If you have a specific question, ask it. There are no dumb questions.
    3) Find a trainer with a decent education.
    A degree isn't a must have, but it does say a lot. Ask about their certification. CPT, A-CPT, ACSM Personal Trainers, and NPTI Trainers are a few that are generally credible.
    4) Get a trainer that has a similar personality to yourself.
    Bottom line, if you don't get along, you won't enjoy yourself.

Hope this helps.

This is all pretty good info as I've never had a trainer. Though I'm not sure about certification as I will be in London for the next several months.
  • xxvogue
    Options
    1) Does the book explain what I need to do in enough detail that someone who doesn't even know what a "squat rack" is will figure it out? - yes. the one thing that the book isn't so clear on pointin out is that you should try to increase your weights with every workout.

2) Or did you need additional instruction? It's not a deal breaker but it'd be good to know, though I'm sure a gym induction might be able to help me out a bit here. - possibly. some of the movements you might need help with like squats (how to go deep enough to work your hams and glutes) deadlifts, 1 arm DB snatches, etc. just so you can see what the proper form is

3) Did you see success? yes, but i guess it depends on what you define as success. you will get stronger and you will lots of body recomposition in terms of fat loss.

4) I've always been a bit intimidated by the free weights sections of gyms (because omg the testosterone is literally frightening) what was your experience with this for ladies? guys dont bite.mot people are just too busy getting their workouts in to pay you any attention. at least they do a pretty good job of acting like they arent paying attention but once you go there on a regular basis people will notice all kinds of thing about your workout :laugh:

And this was very helpful.

I want strength and definitely fat loss. I'd rather drop some sizes than drop some pounds. :D
  • Backous21
    Options
    Strongish first post

I think this a complement? haha. Thanks...I think. xD
    This is all pretty good info as I've never had a trainer. Though I'm not sure about certification as I will be in London for the next several months.

Just to make sure I didn't mislead you. The trainer will hold a certification. I was just sharing a few that hold higher standards because there are a few (such as ACE) that someone could literally take a weekend to read a book, go pass a test, and then start training as a "certified personal trainer".
  • xxvogue
    Options
    Strongish first post

Just to make sure I didn't mislead you. The trainer will hold a certification. I was just sharing a few that hold higher standards because there are a few (such as ACE) that someone could literally take a weekend to read a book, go pass a test, and then start training as a "certified personal trainer".

I was just merely saying I'm not sure if those are international standards or if I'd only find those particular ones in the US.
  • louisvillejg
    louisvillejg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I say get Starting Strength 3rd edition first. And look up the starting strength website and the wiki. You will most likely have to buy it online- Amazon or whatever. Mark (author) breaks everything down from how you need to stand to how you grip a bar...to the actual mechanics of the body in medical terms. It is for complete and total newbies, and will get you through your first months. AND is great to constantly look back into. Then, I would suggest the Lifting for Women book. From what I have seen, you need a bit of knowledge on several areas before being able to do some of the things in that book.

Either way, congrats on deciding to lift! I love it. You will be amazed at what you can achieve; how strong you will feel and how great you will look.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Strongish first post

Yes
  • xxvogue
    Options
    I say get Starting Strength 3rd edition first. And look up the starting strength website and the wiki. You will most likely have to buy it online- Amazon or whatever. Mark (author) breaks everything down from how you need to stand to how you grip a bar...to the actual mechanics of the body in medical terms. It is for complete and total newbies, and will get you through your first months. AND is great to constantly look back into. Then, I would suggest the Lifting for Women book. From what I have seen, you need a bit of knowledge on several areas before being able to do some of the things in that book.

Either way, congrats on deciding to lift! I love it. You will be amazed at what you can achieve; how strong you will feel and how great you will look.

That book sounds perfect. I will definitely read that! Last thing I need is to like.. break my face or back.