The 17 - Day Diet

Options
I'm trying the 17 day diet and using myfitnesspal as a tracking tool. Have any of you tried this diet? If so, please share the pros and cons.

Replies

• Khalter1975
    Khalter1975 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started today....let me know how you are doing.
  • fifteentogotogo
    Options
    Hey there,

Last year I came across the 17 day diet after a skeptical friend swore by it after he did it. I was in the middle of a weight loss team competition at work, and although I'd been counting calories and working out - I was stuck at 178 lbs.

I read up on it, and gave it a go in combination with the mean green juice (featured in Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead). I counted calories, worked out (mostly brisk walking, some swimming), drank the mean green juice twice a day, and the 17 day diet cycles guidelines for my meals over a period of 1 1/2 mos. It worked out great!

A month and a half later- I was down a little over 20 lbs. Averaging 2 - 2.5 lbs. down per week.

Pros-it worked, it taught me the importance of realizing the sugar, rice, flour intake and made me realize there was life without it. It incorporated healthy habits that I used pretty much daily since then, green herbs and fruits, balsamic vinegar over ranch or heavy dressings, lemon drink, and yogurt. Saved money on eating out, couldn't always eat what my family ate. My boyfriend complimented how exceptionally soft my skin felt, i didn't feel like my stomach was clogged, i felt light and happy.

Cons-it was REALLY REALLY hard at first, the first 7 days i'd say. I craved all my old standbys. Very little flexibility with the items, but you can find creative ways to stick to it esp. using the cookbook or just googling recipes like '17 day diet cycle 1 recipe'. Eating out was super difficult at times, so I kept it to a minimum. I learned to plan ahead, i'd carry my truvia and green tea in my purse at all times, and had some stocked at work too.

The biggest thing I found is the mental commitment. Once I realized that it was in my best interest to commit to the strictness of the cycles (esp. the first one), and not sulk about it, I was ok. I used it a few times in between the holiday season to re-balance my system, and am now beginning the new year with it to meet my final weight goal.

Hope this helps! If you have any detailed questions, feel free to let me know.:smile:
  • Swibbels01
    Swibbels01 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started the 17 day diet 9/24/12 and by thanksgiving i was down 36lbs. I would do cycle one, have a "cheat weekend" and then go right back to cycle 1. I quit the diet between thanksgiving and new years and gained about 10lbs back. I just restarted cycle one on new years day and have lost 5 lb. It should be more, but I worked all weekend and didnt eat well. My uncle has lost 80lbs in just over a year of off and on dieting, and my dad and I are at 30 a piece.

I do believe the more you have to lose, the quicker you drop. Don't over do the exercise until you know what your body can handle as I found it very difficult to reach 1200 calories when I first started. (and i was never hungry)
  • Mzkfh
    Mzkfh Posts: 9
    Options
    Today is day 6 and I'm down 3 lbs. I'm falling short on my protein each day - have to work on that.
  • Mzkfh
    Options
    Thank you - you've really inspired me to continue. I will give you updates on my progress.
  • Mzkfh
    Options
    Thank you. You'll give me the push to keep on trying.
  • simplyk8
    simplyk8 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love the 17 Day Diet. For me it was very easy; it made me less hungry, I didn't crave junk, and it was easy to go into "auto pilot" mode. I lost about 60 pounds before I stopped doing it (which was a mistake). Though, to be fair, 6 months after stopping the diet I'd only put on about 11 pounds, and that was including developing some REALLY bad habits. I'm following most of the guidelines now, but can't follow it exactly as it is impossible for me to eat enough calories following 17DD to a T when I'm working out a couple hours a day.

I've encouraged many people to try it. It is nutritionally sound (though some of the things are wacky and fadish) and pretty consistent with results. I lost 2-3+ pounds per week every single week.

Good luck!
  • Kieva_Diva
    Options
    where can I find this diet?
  • Gladegal
    Options
    Got the book .good foods lots of veggies and easy to follow .new to this .please forgive mistakes I make typing. 62 years old this is my first I pad
  • Swibbels01
    Options
    I ordered the book thru amazon kindle. I installed the app on my phone also when i first started to look at while i did my food shopping. Recently i made a 17 day diet grocery list of the items i always need, i print that out and write in the items I need besides the "always" items. A list makes me accountable, makes it easy to grab all the ingredients for my meal plans.

Getting past the chip/soda aisle at walmart is always difficult, but they don't own me anymore lol
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I tried it and was not impressed. I lost in cycle 1, maintained in cycle 2, and gained in cycle 3. It just doesn't work for me, but I have known people who had great results with it, so I think it might just depend on your individual body. Hopefully it will work great for you!!!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    What happens on day 18,19,20, etc?
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My co-worker did it, lost a ton of weight...................then gained it all back. It's not a long term plan.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Nothing like a fab diet that focuses on losing your glycogen stores/water weight. As soon as you stop, you'll gain most of it back.

Instead of doing a "diet" to lose pounds quickly, why not trying to change your habits to create a more sustainable lifestyle where you'll lose the weight and easily keep it off? Without building new, good habits, you'll just go back to your old ones, and your work will be undone.
  • Swibbels01
    Options
    its 17 day cycles. the 1st 17 is no starchy carbs like bread, pasta, and potatoes. Then the second cycle you alternate days where you incorporate those items back in limited amounts. You keep repeating the cycles until you reach your goal, then its what the book calls maintenance.

I follow it loosely, basically eating clean foods.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I did it last spring when I seemed to be stuck on my weight and couldn't seem to get motivated. I needed a plan. The first few days were miserable. I was desperate for sugar and carbs. It made me realize how many of my calories I was getting from carbs. I lost 5-8 pounds. At my size (5'1" and 135 pounds at the time) that was a lot. And slowly transitioning back to a sustainable plan helped me keep the weight off.
  • Mzkfh
    Options
    It goes fast. I started on Jan 2, and I'm down 3.5 lbs already. The odd thing is that Im not even following the diet to the letter. Its awesome.
  • Mzkfh
    Options
    :-(
  • BV1980
    BV1980 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am on about day 11,500 of my approximately 30,000 day diet.
  • Khalter1975
    Khalter1975 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Is a small amount of vodka ok on the 17 day diet?