help! first time at the gym.

Options
Hi guys, i just got my first gym membership and i'm not able to afford a trainer right now, I was wondering if anyone knew the best machines, workouts, or routines for the most fat loss, or any tips they would care to share.

I'm able to go to the gym daily and time is not an issue, I'm motivated to work out as much as possible to reach my goals.

I'm currently 176 5'5" and according to the gym I have %30 body fat, my birthday is March 3rd so I'd like to work my *kitten* off (literally) to lose as much as possible by then, my goal is 150-160 for my birthday, but I plan on continuing to work out and eat healthy after that as well of course, my final goal is 120-130. But I want to get as low as possible for my 21st birthday.

Any advice from someone with more exercise experience would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Google StrongLifts 5x5 -- that is a great place to start with free weights.
  • brendac72
    brendac72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I started off with a lot of cardio....then wanted to start with the weights. I have done both weight machines and free weights and I def prefer free weights. I follow a schedule from muscleandstrength.com. They have weight lifting workouts for women on there and I really like it.
  • acidtrashdoll
    Options
    thanks for the idea
    hm from a glance it looks like it would build too much muscle, i want to look skinny moreso than musclular, toned perhaps but not too much I'm worried about muscles making me look manly
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Most gyms will give you at least a tour of the gym and tell you what the machines are and what they do. Some even give a free training session too. I know that all gyms are kind of crowded or overwhelmed right now with new people but show up at a slow time and ask for an equipment tour with explanations of what they do.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    thanks for the idea
    hm from a glance it looks like it would build too much muscle, i want to look skinny moreso than musclular, toned perhaps but not too much I'm worried about muscles making me look manly

You couldn't get really muscular if you tried unless you used "dat der cell tech" No one gets big eating a calorie deficit. No woman gets big without at least many years of trying and tons of food, and even still, not really unless they use roids.
  • acidtrashdoll
    Options
    thanks for the link brendac checking it out now

thanks too fullofwin even though that icon of your makes me want to cheat! lol.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I started small with 15 minutes and increased 5 minutes each day that way I didn't get to sore. I did weights after the machine and slowly increased my time there also. Now, months later, I do 60 minutes on a machine and 30 minutes on weights. I feel incredibly stronger as well!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Does you gym offer classes? Take a variety of classes to find out what you enjoy. The single most important factor in exercise is consistency.
  • leftybadeye
    Options
    I was in the same situation as you a month ago. I did some research online and found a great site:

www.bodybuilding.com

They have a lot of different workout plans. Just choose one that matches your goals. A lot of the plans have dieting plans/advice as well.

If time isn't an issue, and you really like cardio, I would recommend trying to do cardio exercise everyday. I alternate between 3 days of interval running and 4 days of cycling/spin class and then jump rope. The first week blows but then you get kinda into it.

For weight lifting the above poster is spot on, 5x5 strong lifts. Strong lifts are deadlifts, bench press, squats etc. A lot of girls tend to shy away from these lifts but they are just as important for girls and dont worry they won't make you look muscular, just healthier!
  • FullOfWin
    Options

It is only cheating if it doesn't fit your macros
  • acidtrashdoll
    Options
    thanks for the sites and tips everyone! It's so hard to just google workouts without every page being things you are supposed to buy, these sites look great and i will be doing some research tonight and starting a plan tomorrow!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Could you afford one session with a trainer? The purpose would be to learn proper form for exercises and develop an outline of an exercise plan. It's pretty standard for gyms to allow you to do a single session, not to mention that one session, or even a session every few months to review, is much cheaper than treating orthopedic injuries caused by bad form.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Could you afford one session with a trainer? The purpose would be to learn proper form for exercises and develop an outline of an exercise plan. It's pretty standard for gyms to allow you to do a single session, not to mention that one session, or even a session every few months to review, is much cheaper than treating orthopedic injuries caused by bad form.

Exactly what I was going to say. The key is to learn proper form and technique so see that the gym has to offer
  • louisvillejg
    louisvillejg Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Hells yeah! Post workout icecream FTW!!!!
  • FullOfWin
    Options

Hells yeah! Post workout icecream FTW!!!!

I eat mine later at night as a filler for whatever amount of calories I have left for the day