Struggling to start

Options
Hi Everyone!

I started using this website in October.... my enthusiasm didn't last very long (good intentions and all), and I stopped counting calories and exercising. Looking back at my last weigh in, I've gained about 6.5 lbs and about an inch all over. I'm not very happy and spring is here. I have a bunch of events coming up this summer that I'd like to be smokin' hot for and I can't quite see it happening yet.

I bought the Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones and have yet to get through it. At my best I made it half way through. This is why I'm back on MFP; to get support, keep track of what I'm eating and find motivation to keep exercising when I'm feeling lazy.

I'm setting some goals for myself today.
1) drink more water/cut out the caffeine
2) stick to my calorie goal
3) walk to work at least 3 times a week
4) do an exercise video at least 3 times a week

I don't think these goals are too lofty, I just need to stick with them.

I appreciate all who reads this post, and if you could offer any helpful tips or tricks that you used to get started on/ and stick with your weightloss journey I would love to hear them.

Good luck to you and I will see you all the finish line. :smile:

Replies

• surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience. Joined back in 2008 when I had already dropped some weight but still far from my goal. Then I totally fell of the wagon. How depressing it was coming back on her and realizing I was 15 pounds heavier than I was the last time I started this trek. Put another way, MFP reminded me that about a year and a half ago I weighed about 55 pounds less than I do now! No, five pounds in your case isn't as bad, but it's all relative.

I can tell you this much... after spending almost every week since the beginning of the year telling myself that was the week I was going to get serious, I only finally did two weeks ago, which is when I came back to MFP. It will take more than one work out, but put a few together, see some results on the scale, and it will almost seem like you are addicted! I am getting ready to workout today, and it will be my second day in a row and fourth this week. The "me" from a month ago would have scoffed at the idea and vegged on the couch.

Just take that first step, get some momentum, and take it day by day!
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Well good luck to you! I've been struggling with my weight for quite sometime. I tried cutting soads, etc out a few months back by doing baby steps, it wasn't easy and I caved. I didn't care at that point, I didn't exercise or eat right at all. I recently weighed myself (about 2weeks ago) and realized it was time, I had to stop making excuses for myself and just do it. So I cut soda (and many bad sugars) out completely last Friday and have been walking 3x a day every day. I bought a water filter and reusable bottle so I'm healthier and greener at the same time. I'm glad I was told about this site because there are so many like me struggling with one thing or another. I'm not much of a forum person, but I'm here if you need an extra ear to talk to or a soft punch bag :) I wish you all the determination and best, *holds up her bottle of bottle*, here's to determination and sticking with it! *hugs* ~Bru
  • tash313
    tash313 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Jillian Michaels will kick your *kitten* if you don't! :happy:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give in regard to motivation and sticking with your plan is 1) Don't adopt an "all or nothing" metality. You know the drill. "Oh I ate that cookie, therefore I am hopeless and will never lose weight. So I will console myself with the whole BOX of cookies."

So maybe you actually DID eat the whole box of cookies:cry: here is where 2) comes in: "Every day is a new day."

Even if you fall off the wagon, each day gives you a fresh opportunity to climb back on the wagon and make better choices. String enough good choices together and you achieve success. After you have used MFP for a while, and you are trying to resist temptation, look at your ticker, or review your recorded weight from where you started. Give yourself a pat on the back for sticking to your plan and being successful. Try to come up with rewards for reaching mini goals--NON food rewards.

These are just some random thoughts as I think about what has worked for me over the past year. I have lost enough weight now that people whom I don't see regularly are not shy about commenting positively on it. That is very motivating also.

Good luck to all.
  • Renea_Kay
    Renea_Kay Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Truly im just like you lol. I have been on this site for awhile but i always have trouble sticking to my diet...i've gained 10 pounds since my last wiegh in...like i know what i should do to be thinner but i have problems getting started and sticking to it
  • sromboug
    sromboug Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the motivation. Day 2 has been great!
    Aside from the less caffeine goal... I'm doing it. I feel awesome. Gonna be extremely sore tomorrow, but its a good feeling.