Do any of you do the keto-cyclical diet?

Options
Typical low carber here. Wanting to go keto. I will admit I do well for a few days and then I tend to stray! I need to get serious and a friend of mine commented on a post yesterday about the keto-cyclical diet where you eat keto 5 days and can have carbs 2 days. I don't lift and b/c I am gone from home 12-14 hours a day Mon-Fri and have 2 young kids, I don't work out hard. I coach basketball (actively) 2 days a week and I try to get walking in 2-3 days. I plan to start working out with some Wii fitness games as soon as I can get some new controllers 2-3 days a week.

Is anyone doing or have done this method? Advice and results welcome! I spelled out my exercise b/c I know that some people who do this diet are weight lifters. Will it work for someone who gets exercise like I currently do?

Replies

• cokers4life
    Options
    I am no expert here, but I will send you in the direction that I am researching. It incorporates a sort of fasting where you only eat in an eight hour time period during a 24 hour cycle and generally, you just choose the window that works for you. The diet is cyclical in the sense that on your rest days you eat low carbs and fattier proteins. On your workout days, you eat leanier meats and you can up your carbs to a reasonable amount. Your calories are low on your rest days but the fattier meats make you feel fuller and happier. Workout days are higher calorie days to give you the carbs you need for your workout. There is a lot more to it, but this seems to be a very simple way to get started. Also I think the typical suggestion is three days a week are your work out days with rest days in between each work out day. I could be wrong, but that was my impression from all the information I have been reading.

Here is one great sight with lots of information (http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html) , but you will find that it seems to be geared towards men. Facebook has great group called Fierce. Fit. Fearless. that is a group of women who follow this method (and I think the author of leangains website is on it to offer tips and advice as well). They seem very nice and helpful. There are lots of documents and tools that they give you to really piece the information together. They are really into strength training, and its really inspiring. I don't know if all of them strength train, but they probably could answer your question on whether this method would work without strength training. The group is a closed group but I think its mostly to make sure members are women. I asked to be invited and I received a quick acceptance. Again they have lots of helpful information in their documents tab.

I will tell you I like the cyclical dieting with the combination of fasting. I don't feel deprived on this method and the fasting keeps me focused to avoid those late night munchies. I just started, so I haven't seen dramatic weight loss because I only started this week. I am lifting heavy and short and my cardio is more light and long. I get out and walk to increase my calorie deficit. This is the first diet that I can envision myself doing as a part of my life. Its not really complicated once you look at the information as a whole, and I feel like I have control of my calorie intake without feeling utterly deprived of a certain food group. Hope this helps.
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!!!!!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I've done CKD where you eat keto 6 days and carb-up 1 day (I did Sundays) and then go work out and lift heavy and everything. I think I felt better just doing straight ketogenic with a cheat day once every month or two weeks.